Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:11 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
A few years ago we were attending an Open Track event at NJMP in Millville, NJ. In the evening we went out to dinner at the Texas Roadhouse. If you didn't know any better you would swear you were in a similar restaurant just outside Charlotte, NC.
Same rowdy crowd, same rowdy waitresses. We had a ball.
Exactly!

Don't forget that Woodstown, which is near the Delaware Memorial Bridge, is the home of both the Cowtown rodeo (sanctioned) & the Cowtown flea market.

South Jersey is loaded with small towns, which are mostly rural, & farms. Most of the "urbanized" band along the Delaware was still rural after WWII. I currently live in a town of ~10 or 11K, called Kings Mountain. I moved here from Cherry Hill, which is about the same population as Gastonia. I had lived in Cherry Hill most of the time since my family moved there from the Midwest in 1964. Cherry Hill in 1964 was very much like Kings Mountain is today.

In South Jersey & Philadelphia you talk to strangers in stores. I have stopped & had conversations with people I know in Philadelphia & South Jersey on the sidewalks & even in the middle of streets. (The cars go around you.)

One of the nearby towns, Magnolia, used to be known for BBQ (Pit-style)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,148 times
Default north carolina is mid atlantic

Just got back from the southern us and stoped in north carolina for two weeks and to me north carolina is more mid atlantic. I went to areas around the triangle. Accent is not as southern as south carolina or south of south carolina. High educated people and healthy places to eat. To me north carolina is like northern va.

Last edited by newguy12; 12-08-2011 at 04:09 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 04:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy12 View Post
Just got from the southern us and stop in north carolina for two weeks and to me north carolina is mid atlantic. I went to areas around the triangle. Accent is not as southern as south carolina or further south. High educated people and healthy places to eat. To north carolina is like northern va.
So you visit one small spot in the state that is surrounded with tech & colleges and past judgement when you could drive just a hour in any direction of the triangle and see that its not as educated and speak southern.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:38 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Quote:
To me north carolina is like northern va.
Hey, no need to insult us like that.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:15 PM

431 posts, read 1,141,468 times
Quote:
Just got back from the southern us and stoped in north carolina for two weeks and to me north carolina is more mid atlantic. I went to areas around the triangle. Accent is not as southern as south carolina or south of south carolina. High educated people and healthy places to eat. To me north carolina is like northern va.
I don't understand the point in this post. And I agree with SunnyKayak. The triangle is just one area out of many, many parts of the state. Before you're going to judge, maybe explore more first.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:21 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Oh no, not again!

SpaceBalls Alien - YouTube

Old 12-09-2011, 06:43 AM

1,341 posts, read 3,912,210 times
You need to broaden your research tremendously. You're going to have a lot of transplants as well in the Triangle area and Charlotte area.

I can assure you, you travel outside these areas and you will encounter the South.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:54 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
You ARE aware that the majority of NC is not the Triangle, right? The culture of the state as a whole is overwhelmingly Southern. And plenty of Southern people and native still live in the Triangle.

Why did you feel the need to make a whole post about it, anyway, especially based on "stopping through for two weeks"?

Quote:
I'm almost convinced that this is the same guy making the same topic over and over again, under a different user name.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:18 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
The best I can figure, this guy must have printed up thousands of "Mid-Atlantic States" maps to sell. When he realized they're not selling because he WRONGLY included NC, he decided to try to convince everyone that NC is mid-Atlantic so he can unload them.

That, or else he's some sort of geographical crusader who's hell-bent on shaking up the continent. Strange that someone would go to all the trouble of registering just to post this (not that registering is that much trouble, but still...)

Old 12-09-2011, 02:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Wow...such visceral response to this person's post.

I don't think this observation is that far off the mark. Let's face it, the Triangle is pretty similar to NOVA in a variety of ways. Like the relationship between NC and the Triangle, most of Virginia has its dissimilarities with NOVA. Both areas have grown wildly with transplants that come for technology, government and education jobs. The culture in the two places is more "American homongenized" compared to other areas of their respective states and the South in general. I read the post as an observation from a fresh set of eyes. I don't see it as an insult to the area, the South or any one particular group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina