Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 06:41 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,677,377 times

Advertisements

Helpful advice for many, but not all is "to get out more."

This may've been one of the worst if not the worst for me.

It really goes to show that any advice, if just off the cusp of one's tongue, they aren't really considering the context of the situation. If the person is already getting out too much and they aren't dealing with the social aspects of their interests well, simply "getting out more" is not the way to go. Establishing social boundaries first with the existing groups one is "a part of" and then maybe transitioning to something else might be the best advice instead, for instance.

How many people who give advice actually give a d*#n about you and show that they care? Hard to take someone seriously for me when they can't respect you enough. Yeah, you want to do enough to survive in this world, but we all need some dignity too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2024, 08:19 PM

22,451 posts, read 11,972,828 times
When I was 16, my mother couldn't wait for me to get my drivers license. She wanted me to get it so that I could do all her grocery shopping. She had a car and was home all day. Right then and there, I decided to not get my license at that point in time. I already was coming home from school and was forced to do most of the housework.

Well...my parents moved back to the Mainland when I was in college. I was home on a break when my father insisted that I take the written test for my drivers license. I told him that I hadn't even studied the booklet. He insisted that I didn't need to do that because I would know all the answers anyway (yeah...right!). So...I gave in and took it. Sure enough, I failed it. I was angry and told my father that I had warned him this would happen and I refused to tell him how many items I got wrong. He found out anyway because I told one of my brothers who blabbed to him. (FWIW, I didn't get my drivers license until years after I left home, and don't regret waiting to do so.)

My brother couldn't wait to get his license when he turned 16. I tried to encourage him to wait until he left home because I knew my mother would force him to do her grocery shopping. He didn't take my advice---and sure enough, he ended up regretting it. Later, he said he was sorry he didn't wait longer to get his license. I think he did some passive-aggressive stuff when he did her shopping. For example, she wanted a head of lettuce, he brought home a head of cabbage. Another time she wanted pink print paper towels, he brought home solid pink. To her, this was the worst thing ever. I say, and so does my husband, it served her right.

Old 03-16-2024, 08:27 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Two things I can think of:

Pretend it doesn't bother you.

Always respect authority.

Old 03-17-2024, 02:17 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Two things I can think of:

Pretend it doesn't bother you.

Always respect authority.
Maybe that should have been always pretend to respect authority.

Old 03-17-2024, 02:20 PM

1,425 posts, read 663,047 times
If you don't know what to do don't do anything.

This isn't always bad advice but it can really hold you back if you are indecisive in general.

Old 03-18-2024, 09:50 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Maybe that should have been always pretend to respect authority.
You've got it, Gerania. With your background I'll bet you understand that well.

Old 03-24-2024, 08:38 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
I've thought of the advice I've received over the years from friends, coworkers, family members and the media. What whats the most worst advice you ever received and thankful you didn't listen to them.

I was a nurses aide (Hated that job) and wanted to work in Insurance field and my co workers at the told me i'll be bored.

I had two different people tell me i should relocate out of state and work at a fast food restaurant that pays $15 an hour.

Go on welfare.

I saw someone on youtube tell people to have kids even if your in high school you figure out how to afford the baby.
I had people tell me not to get a Masters degree since I'd be too expensive to hire and tell me to stay in my home state with its low salaries and high cost of living. These same people said don't let cost of living determine where you live. In general when I moved out of my home state you would have thought I defected to an enemy country.

One if the topics I've found people give the most moronic advice about is student loans.

Old 03-24-2024, 11:24 AM

2,891 posts, read 989,003 times
I was working as a nurse's aide in a nursing home in the 80s when I found out I was pregnant. I was in a stable relationship, but young (20,) and one of the nurses told me that I "needed" to go have an abortion because I'd be a terrible mother, I was too young, my relationship probably wouldn't last, and bringing a child into the world would be a mistake.

I ended up married to my husband for 35 years (he died 11 months ago of brain cancer. I was honored to be his caregiver for years.) Our son grew up to be one of the best people- kind, respectful, conscientious, loving, caring, and wonderful. I really don't know what I'd do without him.

Old 03-24-2024, 11:59 AM

471 posts, read 404,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
"Just be yourself". Bad and confusing advice for most kids who aren't confident in who they are.

Thanks. I was going to post this if you hadn't. Better advice: "Be the best version of yourself."

Old 03-24-2024, 01:20 PM

103 posts, read 38,159 times
'Get out there and make friends.'

I didn't much care for most people and shouldn't have been around people until I was in my forties. My relationships with women have mostly been positive (been married almost nine years now), but I've always had problems bonding with other men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships