Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 04:23 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Pissah View Post

I just think it's funny when people make up their own names because they think they're being creative but in reality the names are awful. Like Chanderella
Do people not think when they give their kids these ghetto names?

I also cannot stand taking a traditional name and screwing with the spelling.

In the south, we also give our kids last names for first names by using family names.

Also if you meet a guy from the south whose name is Trip or Trae, it means he is the third.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 04:25 PM

320 posts, read 480,487 times
Weird names are an American tradition; look what the Puritans named their children. It's a free country.

There are lots of names I don't care for but I would never dream of admonishing anyone for their choice... unlike a certain judge in Tennessee:

Tennessee judge cited for ordering baby's name changed from Messiah | Reuters

Old 05-27-2014, 04:26 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,638 times
Quote:
The name Brooklynn has become quite popular up my way.

It's a city, not a name.
I saw recently that a friend of a friend on Facebook his shared an article about kids being named Brooklyn and wrote something stupid like "people actually do this lol". The reason it showed up in my feed was because my Facebook friend had commented something like "Thanks, a--hole, I guess you don't see my Facebook updates." His one-week-old kid was named Brooklyn.

(And Brooklyn is a borough, not a city.)

Old 05-27-2014, 04:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Also if you meet a guy from the south whose name is Trip or Trae, it means he is the third.
That's not just a southern nickname for thirds. It's common in the northeast too. Probably everywhere.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:46 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
I saw recently that a friend of a friend on Facebook his shared an article about kids being named Brooklyn and wrote something stupid like "people actually do this lol". The reason it showed up in my feed was because my Facebook friend had commented something like "Thanks, a--hole, I guess you don't see my Facebook updates." His one-week-old kid was named Brooklyn.

(And Brooklyn is a borough, not a city.)
And it's spelled with one N.

Brooklynn (with two Ns) is a contraction of two names Brook and Lynn just like Catelynn, Evelyn, etc. it isn't actually new as a female name or custom at all. Names like Jacqueline, Gwendolyn, etc have been like this for hundreds of years and has etymological roots in Spanish and Gaelic.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:52 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,055,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I grin and bear it. My nephew named his daughter Laughter. She was born while I was living out of state, but I will soon be moving back and seeing her often. I think I will call her Gigs, short for giggles.
I like your attitude.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I grin and bear it. My nephew named his daughter Laughter. She was born while I was living out of state, but I will soon be moving back and seeing her often. I think I will call her Gigs, short for giggles.
She'll probably grow up to be sullen.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:25 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,049 times
Living in Utah, I have heard some funny names.

Ryker
Diesel
Jaxon
Jayden
Boston
Daxton
Bridger
Crew
Kyler
Gage

Brielle
Rylee
Oakley
Krystallina
Odonna
Brynlee
Carraleigh
Tawnie
LaRelle
LaCynthia

Most of the names above have been in the top 100 for Utah.

This is a pretty funny site, actually: The Utah Baby Namer Essentially, how to name your child if you're a Utah Mormon.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:31 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
Quote:
How do you react when a close friend or family member who's just had a baby tells you what the baby's name is and you hate it?
Thankfully I've never been in this situation, because my whole life, I've been told that "my face tells it all." I was never a good liar or bluffer!

I think if someone named their child something truly awful (and, imo, some of the names mentioned in this thread qualify!) perhaps it would be good for the parents to see a few "faces that tell the truth,"
along with some hemming and hawing in a "trying-to-be-polite-but-you're-making-it-mighty-hard" sort of way. Maybe it would cause them to wisely reconsider the name they have just burdened their little bundle of joy with. :roll eyes:

I wouldn't want to go through life with people whispering, "What in the world were those parents thinking?!?!?!"

Old 05-27-2014, 05:37 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Pray that they have a "normal" middle name that they can go by later in life.

20yrisnBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships