Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2023, 03:54 PM

22 posts, read 15,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where does it show that in that thread?

Again, no one is saying or expect Ithaca to be crime free, but its crime rate is average at worst. There is plenty of information illustrating this. To keep falsely saying someone lives 100 miles away doesn’t change that fact, when the area they live in serves as a media market for Ithaca(only like 50 miles away). Meaning, that people in that area get news about Ithaca on a common basis.
The whole thread is buyer beware about Ithaca and ultimately you’ve spent hours taking a single side and making your point heard. From someone who lives hundreds of miles away you haven’t debunked much.

You can live in your little town and think everything is fine. But you have one viewpoint compared to someone living on the ground which makes practically every single thing you say as incorrect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2023, 05:42 PM

93,884 posts, read 124,609,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batonjohn View Post
The whole thread is buyer beware about Ithaca and ultimately you’ve spent hours taking a single side and making your point heard. From someone who lives hundreds of miles away you haven’t debunked much.

You can live in your little town and think everything is fine. But you have one viewpoint compared to someone living on the ground which makes practically every single thing you say as incorrect.
So, you are looking for attention, not factual information, I guess. Especially when you think that Syracuse is hundreds of miles away.

Again, my point stands in terms of Ithaca not being the "Mayberry" you thought it was, when people have said there is crime there. However, the crime rate at worst is average. I know you have lived there for a couple of months and know everything about the city, but there are others on here that are familiar with the city and its crime.

Also, as ex-Ithacan(R.I.P.) would mention, housing is more affordable on West Hill and away from Cornell. Belle Sherman, Cornell Heights and Fall Creek are other parts of the city that people can look into as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-26-2023 at 06:06 PM..

Old 08-27-2023, 09:20 AM

Dangerous city gets even more dangerous. Not even safe to go to a grocery store any more!

https://cnycentral.com/news/local/it...is-parking-lot

Old 08-27-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
So, you are looking for attention, not factual information, I guess. Especially when you think that Syracuse is hundreds of miles away.

Again, my point stands in terms of Ithaca not being the "Mayberry" you thought it was, when people have said there is crime there. However, the crime rate at worst is average. I know you have lived there for a couple of months and know everything about the city, but there are others on here that are familiar with the city and its crime.

Also, as ex-Ithacan(R.I.P.) would mention, housing is more affordable on West Hill and away from Cornell. Belle Sherman, Cornell Heights and Fall Creek are other parts of the city that people can look into as well.
Ah yes the affordable housing of belle sherman! A quick Zillow search shows 1 rental and 1 house for sale for 1.55 million. Sorry you big city folk see that as affordable however you are extremely out of of touch.

Old 08-27-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Ah yes the affordable housing of belle sherman! A quick Zillow search shows 1 rental and 1 house for sale for 1.55 million. Sorry you big city folk see that as affordable however you are extremely out of of touch.
I didn’t refer to Belle Sherman for affordability, but as a desirable area of the city. My mistake if that is what you got from that and there are other parts of the city worth looking into.

Also, affordable housing is another issue that has been discussed on here in regards to the city/area. So, hopefully, that demand will be addressed, which I believe is starting to be.

There is a reason why there are buses that serve outer parts of Tompkins County/adjacent counties have commuter buses into the city/Cornell campus, as housing is more affordable.

As for my area, you can get a lakefront mansion for that price.

Some rentals in the city: https://cspmgmt.managebuilding.com/R...public/rentals

https://www.apartments.com/ithaca-ny...sumr3pphIq0-vR

Under $1300 in the area: https://www.apartments.com/tompkins-...ny/under-1300/

Homes/properties in the area/Tompkins County $300k and under: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...08,10&qdm=true

So, some of this may be a matter of where you look in the area and what one is looking for.

Dryden is a small walkable village, that puts one in the area, but also very close to Cortland and even Syracuse is minutes away: https://maps.app.goo.gl/YT84AadNu1XfSERY8?g_st=ic

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-27-2023 at 10:27 AM..

Old 08-27-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I didn’t refer to Belle Sherman for affordability, but as a desirable area of the city. My mistake if that is what you got from that and there are other parts of the city worth looking into.

Also, affordable housing is another issue that has been discussed on here in regards to the city/area. So, hopefully, that demand will be addressed, which I believe is starting to be.

There is a reason why there are buses that serve outer parts of Tompkins County/adjacent counties have commuter buses into the city/Cornell campus, as housing is more affordable.

As for my area, you can get a lakefront mansion for that price.

Some rentals in the city: https://cspmgmt.managebuilding.com/R...public/rentals

https://www.apartments.com/ithaca-ny...sumr3pphIq0-vR

Under $1300 in the area: https://www.apartments.com/tompkins-...ny/under-1300/

Homes/properties in the area/Tompkins County $300k and under: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...08,10&qdm=true

So, some of this may be a matter of where you look in the area and what one is looking for.

Dryden is a small walkable village, that puts one in the area, but also very close to Cortland and even Syracuse is minutes away: https://maps.app.goo.gl/YT84AadNu1XfSERY8?g_st=ic
Please keep comments restricted to the city of Ithaca. As you told me I couldn’t mention a crime event in Dryden I expected you to do the same

Old 08-27-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Please keep comments restricted to the city of Ithaca. As you told me I couldn’t mention a crime event in Dryden I expected you to do the same
I’m talking about the area. Not everyone is going to live in the city of Ithaca if they move to the area and I’m doing this to illustrate the differences in terms of housing in the area. In fact, you mentioned Lansing and to live outside of the city in your original post.

Also, I corrected you in regards to a crime you thought was in the city, but wasn’t(the Danby Road domestic). That is the difference.

Old 08-30-2023, 11:58 AM

10 posts, read 3,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
This is the reason there are so few posters in the Upstate NY forum. Its because they have to endlessly defend their posts. The OP sounds like an intelligent, articulate and well educated individual who stated their opinion of Ithaca based on an actual boots on the ground living experience.
Frankly, neither argument here has me impressed. OP seems to be dredging up anything they can to dump on the Ithaca area, while the tiniest review of CKH's posts shows that they're a very biased local evangelist, which means that (no offense to CKH) you HAVE to take their comments with a grain of salt.

Both are just mud-slinging at this point, which sort of negates either of their arguments.

FWIW I live near Ithaca and it's fine for a small city. It's an exceptionally pretty area, but it's not a bustling metro. It's pleasant enough. I've had family members live in Ithaca for years, and nobody has ever been the victim of a serious crime. I've lived in cities with a very similar crime index to these areas, which have been labeled as safe areas, and HAVE been a victim of crime. Your personal experience will vary based on neighborhood and luck.

Old 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by del20nd View Post
Frankly, neither argument here has me impressed. OP seems to be dredging up anything they can to dump on the Ithaca area, while the tiniest review of CKH's posts shows that they're a very biased local evangelist, which means that (no offense to CKH) you HAVE to take their comments with a grain of salt.

Both are just mud-slinging at this point, which sort of negates either of their arguments.

FWIW I live near Ithaca and it's fine for a small city. It's an exceptionally pretty area, but it's not a bustling metro. It's pleasant enough. I've had family members live in Ithaca for years, and nobody has ever been the victim of a serious crime. I've lived in cities with a very similar crime index to these areas, which have been labeled as safe areas, and HAVE been a victim of crime. Your personal experience will vary based on neighborhood and luck.
Nope, I have no skin in the game to be frank and have been open about Ithaca's issues with housing, as well as stating that there is crime in the city. It is just that the crime rate is average at worst, as stated by data available. I'm just offering information on here for the sake of the forum in general.

Old 08-30-2023, 03:26 PM

5,558 posts, read 3,972,673 times
Quote:
Nope, I have no skin in the game to be frank and have been open about Ithaca's issues with housing, as well as stating that there is crime in the city. It is just that the crime rate is average at worst, as stated by data available. I'm just offering information on here for the sake of the forum in general.
When's the last time you criticized anything related to upstate NY? It's fair for people to view you as a biased booster, even though you do include plenty of information in your posts. I definitely don't think it's fair to blame you for this forum's malaise, however. As for this OP, I haven't been to Ithaca since my brother graduated from Cornell 5 years ago, so I have no recent firsthand experience to offer either way. I kinda enjoyed the original rant, but the OP got less likeable with each passing post, especially as he kept repeating his erroneous assumption that you lived hundreds of miles from Ithaca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York