Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 06:23 PM

3,784 posts, read 3,509,088 times

Advertisements

And that with the new lower proposed speed limits (going lower and lower) soon they would start restricting driving? I bet many of you laughed.

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2024/05/...le-miles-by-20

All these damn conspiracy theories keep coming true. Crazy right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2024, 07:27 PM

34,187 posts, read 47,485,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
And that with the new lower proposed speed limits (going lower and lower) soon they would start restricting driving? I bet many of you laughed.

It's your thread, I would like for you to explain in your own words how exactly are they restricting driving. I read the letter.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-15-2024, 07:44 PM

I mean I thought you read the letter?

Let me help

“In real terms, this means both departments factor in miles traveled by cars into infrastructure decisions and prioritize investments that reduce single occupancy vehicle mileage,” reads the letter. “This means projects that expanded cycling infrastructure, pedestrian walkways, and public transit were prioritized over outdated highway expansions and lane widening.”

If that isn't good enough I will break it down even further. More Cycling lanes, more pedestrian areas (Close streets permanently)more public transit projects, less highway and local car lanes to suffocate driving further.

It really isn't hard. I don't even have my college degree! Shameful I had to assist you in understanding something so elementary, really.

Old 05-15-2024, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I mean I thought you read the letter?

Let me help

“In real terms, this means both departments factor in miles traveled by cars into infrastructure decisions and prioritize investments that reduce single occupancy vehicle mileage,” reads the letter. “This means projects that expanded cycling infrastructure, pedestrian walkways, and public transit were prioritized over outdated highway expansions and lane widening.”

If that isn't good enough I will break it down even further. More Cycling lanes, more pedestrian areas (Close streets permanently)more public transit projects, less highway and local car lanes to suffocate driving further.

It really isn't hard. I don't even have my college degree! Shameful I had to assist you in understanding something so elementary, really.
You need to make better thread titles

Stopping people from driving altogether and restricting driving are two different things

If you're going to be a crusader, at least hold the sword correctly

Old 05-15-2024, 08:19 PM

Oh my bad, its restricting free people from driving. My bad. Much better than Stopping.

I should delete this thread perhaps. I was WAY off!

Old 05-15-2024, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Oh my bad, its restricting free people from driving. My bad. Much better than Stopping.

I should delete this thread perhaps. I was WAY off!
I understand your concern, but it comes off as fearmongering the way you titled the thread. "Stopping people from driving altogether" is wide open for interpretation.

Old 05-15-2024, 09:18 PM

5,765 posts, read 2,666,329 times
I'm all for people not driving.

Old 05-15-2024, 10:16 PM

2,669 posts, read 1,262,968 times
Quote:

I don't think many on this forum laughed.

Many, from what I've seen, echo the sentiment.

Old 05-15-2024, 11:08 PM

10,244 posts, read 15,117,623 times
Quote:

Why the photo of the entrance to the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway regarding the pedestrian sidewalks?

The one facing the road seems fine and any type of controlled-access highway is not suppose to have pedestrians.

This is how it looks in GSV. The pedestrian infrastructure looks in good shape to me. If anything, it could use some maintenance to improve its cosmetic look. The curbs are covered in metal as is typical in NYC rather than asphalt, cement or granite.

If what the journalist is referring to is the dirt part seen in the left side of this entrance ramp, as said before pedestrians are prohibited in controlled-access highways.

Old 05-16-2024, 02:11 AM

822 posts, read 549,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I understand your concern, but it comes off as fearmongering the way you titled the thread. "Stopping people from driving altogether" is wide open for interpretation.
It's very possible that restricting driving is a small step in the overall goal of stopping people from driving altogether.

the oft-cited question of a glass half- full or half-empty of water cannot be answered without a series of pictures. You can't just look at one thing, and know which way it is going.

I think the OP is correct - these restrictions on personal transportation options are part of a much bigger picture, part of the Agenda 2050 goals, and the WEF goals of creating a high-tech feudal society of peasants tied to the land.

One small step for Man, one giant step for the technocratic future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: