Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 06:31 PM

15,609 posts, read 15,747,926 times

Advertisements

This is what so many stabilized renters don't understand.

The Benefits of Living in the Same Place for a Long Time
Thirty years ago, a woman got a $250-a-month, rent-stabilized apartment in Inwood. She says the neighborhood has defined not only her life but her life’s work.

The last time Arlene Schulman went looking for an apartment, the internet was only in its infancy. “I did what everyone did 30 years ago,” Ms. Schulman said. “I asked everyone I knew if they knew about an available apartment.”
Like most other apartment hunters in the 1990s, she also rushed to grab a copy of The Village Voice on Thursday nights to thumb through the classified ads.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/01/r...-benefits.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2024, 06:33 PM

5,761 posts, read 2,666,329 times
Your late on this, article been out a couple months.

Old 05-12-2024, 06:38 PM

69 posts, read 16,278 times
This is peak boomer. Strikes me as a lesbian which makes it fine I guess if her intention was never to have children.

I love these NYT troll articles.

Old 05-13-2024, 04:58 AM

43,835 posts, read 44,607,923 times
There are benefits to living in one place for an extended time. But that doesn't work out for everyone in real life.

Old 05-13-2024, 12:32 PM

5,761 posts, read 2,666,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJewNYC View Post
This is peak boomer. Strikes me as a lesbian which makes it fine I guess if her intention was never to have children.

I love these NYT troll articles.
Who cares if she is a lesbian or not? And you don't have to have a certain sexual preference to want or not want kids.

Old 05-13-2024, 03:01 PM

3,367 posts, read 1,755,277 times
Theses so called benefits never pans out in real life because the renters never gets any ambition to leave or become financially independent.

Old 05-13-2024, 03:14 PM

107,079 posts, read 109,388,270 times
it depends on the person ..

my wife is in our apartment 40 years and i am here 20 .

we love the building , we like the area , its everything we need or want .

but the fact we are in this apartment has had absolutely no effect on how we live our lives or financial success or not

i have always been into investing as a kid and wanted to do better and better .

sold my house 20 years ago and used the money to buy a successful real estate business instead of another house .

we have owned a second home in the poconos and sold it as we no longer wanted any real estate in retirement as well as sold all the apartments our LLC. held over the years generating multiple 7 figures for us dabbling in stabilized co-ops in a prestigious manhattan building

so there is more going on with someone other then living in a place a long time if they are financial failures .

we are going to be snow birds next year and use this as our home base.

but the fact we have no desire anymore to tie up money in a place has no bearing on anything else.

Old 05-13-2024, 04:14 PM

16,187 posts, read 6,938,089 times
One friend (snowbird ) rents and enjoys traveling the world.

Another friend owns and and enjoys traveling close to home.

Difference?

None................Both are happy.

Minimum Requirement?
Steady stream of income.

God Bless

Old 05-14-2024, 03:26 AM

19,098 posts, read 14,064,703 times
Yeah especially when your rent is subsidized by the owner.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-14-2024, 03:29 AM

107,079 posts, read 109,388,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Yeah especially when your rent is subsidized by the owner.
well i wish my rent was subsidized…. but the only one subsidizing it is me.. in fact as tenants under the old laws we have been paying mci increase long after the capital improvements were paid for so landlords made out big time on them .

unfortunately when we owned the stabilized coops we were not able to get mci increases like pure rental buildings can.

i can’t even say we subsidized our tenants who were way below market because we were compensated by a way way way below market price to offset the rents when we bought the package.

the investor group we sold to got a similar deal

unless it really is subsidized housing like a nyc housing project landlords are compensated in other ways , whether tax incentives that let them keep more of what they earn over all or financing perks that save them loads of money.

no landlords are subsidizing tenants today unless they are rent controlled apartments and very few are left of those.

developers and landlords for the most part want to be stabilized just because it can be so profitable.

no one building since the 1970’s has to be stabilized unless they choose to be

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-14-2024 at 04:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City