Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 08:40 PM

1,868 posts, read 833,775 times

Advertisements

It was a long time ago, but we stayed in Islip on LI, then took the LIRR into Penn Station. We left the car in the LIRR parking lot. You do NOT want to drive into Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 11:45 PM

793 posts, read 496,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan411 View Post
Hello.

We will be driving through NY and our goal is to see Central Park, Empire State Building and any other attractions if time is allowed.

Is there a somewhat affordable place to stay for one night within 20 minutes or so of Manhattan? I know the closer we get, the $$ it will be so we don't mind staying a little outside the city then just drive in for the day.

Speaking of which, although I'm from Chicago, I think your traffic will be worse. I hate sitting in traffic so I'd rather drive 20 minutes out of my way to get to Manhattan if it meant coming in a "back door" or some other route or side road with less congestion. I know once I get there I'll have to deal with it, but I want to avoid sitting in traffic as long as possible Lol.
First things first, most NYC hotels are now filled with violent, 3rd world Venezuelan migrants. So think about safety over $'s.

With that said, I'd reccomend the hotels next to LaGuardia airport. There are 3 or 4 nearby that don't have a ton of migrants and mostly have tourists and/or flight crews. Prices should be cheaper vs. Manhattan since this area is part of outer Queens. Would be like staying at a place near O'hare. And the area near the airport is a big safer compared to most of NYC.

Not sure I understand if you want to drive into Manhattan or not. From the hotel, you can take Northern blvd all the way to the Queensborough bridge, which is free, and get the best view of the NYC skyline you will ever see if you take the "upper roadway." Then once in Manhattan, expect lots of traffic.

You can also just drive to Long Island City or Sunnsyide (near Queens Blvd). Park and take the train or a Uber into Manhattan.

Old 05-10-2024, 06:07 AM

16,170 posts, read 6,915,325 times
How about Air B&B in Gravesend Brooklyn close to the N train ?

Neighborhood is still O.K. Alternate side parking and short walk to amenities.

Train to Manhattan 30 minutes.

Old 05-10-2024, 06:37 AM

425 posts, read 237,131 times
There is a supposedly really nice hostel in LIC-Astoria. I know hostels are not a family thing, but this one does have private rooms. For one night on a budget, even if you park in a garage the price-convenience trade off may be worth it. But thinking you can drive into manhattan as a tourist is grounds to be medicated.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:22 AM

5,308 posts, read 6,211,656 times
Sometimes you can find bargains at Newark Airport hotels and most offer free parking and a free shuttle service to an airtrain stop.. Take the airtrain from the airport to the Newark Liberty airport train station where you can catch an AMTRAK or NJT train into Penn Station. There is also a bus service from the airport to hotels in Manhattan for a flat rate of $18.

Old 05-10-2024, 11:55 AM

10,057 posts, read 18,126,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorsamsa8 View Post
In the city within the last six months I stayed at pods time square which was ok and pods e 39th which wasn't so great. Idk how many are with u, I was just solo to see concerts. They are very no frills.
I was curious so I checked on them for a random weekday ... $400 a night for a tiny room for 1 person! That is apparently "affordable"?! Wow!

Old 05-10-2024, 12:22 PM

17,416 posts, read 15,554,241 times
Extended Stay America in East Rutherford right next to Metlife Stadium:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ex...!1e2?entry=ttu

Give or take 30 minutes to get into Manhattan. Easy drive.
Although I personally wouldn't drive. Where are you going to park?

Either go to Secaucus, park there and ride the NJT into Penn Station, or go to Hoboken, park there and take PATH to 33rd.

It is going to be much easier to park at Secaucus vs Hoboken.

https://www.njtransit.com/trip-plann...cessible=false

Old 05-10-2024, 02:19 PM

88,749 posts, read 85,121,709 times
OP, do you know you'll pay a $15 toll to get into the city and how much it will cost you to park once you're there? I don't think you thought this through.

Old 05-10-2024, 02:21 PM

88,749 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Extended Stay America in East Rutherford right next to Metlife Stadium:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ex...!1e2?entry=ttu

Give or take 30 minutes to get into Manhattan. Easy drive.
Although I personally wouldn't drive. Where are you going to park?

Either go to Secaucus, park there and ride the NJT into Penn Station, or go to Hoboken, park there and take PATH to 33rd.

It is going to be much easier to park at Secaucus vs Hoboken.

https://www.njtransit.com/trip-plann...cessible=false
Yes! Park in Secaucus, that's a good idea, and take the train into Penn Station. Secaucus is only $30 to park, BUT if there is no event that night at MSG, sometimes it is only $16. But still, $30 is pretty cheap, and it's the last stop before New York, so the train tickets are not expensive.

It's a big lot, and now they have a secondary lot across County Road, and it's easy to walk to Secaucus Junction from there.

You have to time travel back to the last century to find $100 hotel rooms, though, in the NY metro area. They are over $100 for the Holiday Inn Express way upstate in Cortland or Watertown!

Old 05-10-2024, 04:33 PM

24 posts, read 16,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I was curious so I checked on them for a random weekday ... $400 a night for a tiny room for 1 person! That is apparently "affordable"?! Wow!
I only paid about $125 or so in the winter months. Was a Friday. $400 no way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City