Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 06:58 AM

50 posts, read 7,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Explain it to me like I'm in kindergarten. What does reworking traffic patterns consist of?
Would take too long but I can give you some obvious examples.

Incorrectly timed lights - for example I take an intersection every day that turns left unto a short block with a light. When the turn signal or light is green the light on the short block is red. This creates a huge traffic jam that blocks the intersection constantly. The proper way to handle this is to time the short block light with perpendicular traffic to allow the congestion to clear.

You know why this happens? Because no one from DoT has been out there in decades to analyze traffic patterns. When was the last time you saw DoT analyzing traffic patterns with modern day equipment? I see these morons put out those 100 year old strips that count how many cars pass through a given street and even then it’s very seldom. Dot in this city isn’t interested in optimizing and improving traffic flow and you ca clearly see it by their clear absence.

I’ll give you another one. Some stretches of road clearly have more traffic moving north/south then east/west. Yet the east/west green lights are on for just as long as the north/south. If anyone from DoT actually bothered to study this, the obvious solution is to make the north/south lights twice or three times as long to facilitate traffic.

I can give you many more examples but it’s obvious the city isn’t interested in this type of work even though it’s precisely what they should be doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 07:13 AM

34,138 posts, read 47,370,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJewNYC View Post
Would take too long but I can give you some obvious examples.

Incorrectly timed lights - for example I take an intersection every day that turns left unto a short block with a light. When the turn signal or light is green the light on the short block is red. This creates a huge traffic jam that blocks the intersection constantly. The proper way to handle this is to time the short block light with perpendicular traffic to allow the congestion to clear.

You know why this happens? Because no one from DoT has been out there in decades to analyze traffic patterns. When was the last time you saw DoT analyzing traffic patterns with modern day equipment? I see these morons put out those 100 year old strips that count how many cars pass through a given street and even then it’s very seldom. Dot in this city isn’t interested in optimizing and improving traffic flow and you ca clearly see it by their clear absence.

I’ll give you another one. Some stretches of road clearly have more traffic moving north/south then east/west. Yet the east/west green lights are on for just as long as the north/south. If anyone from DoT actually bothered to study this, the obvious solution is to make the north/south lights twice or three times as long to facilitate traffic.

I can give you many more examples but it’s obvious the city isn’t interested in this type of work even though it’s precisely what they should be doing.
So the traffic lights are incorrectly timed? Why wouldn't they be synchronized correctly from the time of installation?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-04-2024, 07:24 AM

I’ll give you another one. Instead of saturating the city with left turn signals that make traffic even worse, the city should be implementing “no left turns” across stretches of highly trafficked avenues. It’s not a big deal if someone has to drive a quarter mile more to access the street they want relative to how left turning cars create major congestion problems in already highly trafficked city.

Like I said, I don’t think anyone at DoT or the city government is actually interested in doing what is actually supposed to be done.

Last edited by SuperJewNYC; 05-04-2024 at 07:36 AM..

Old 05-04-2024, 07:35 AM

Quote:
So the traffic lights are incorrectly timed? Why wouldn't they be synchronized correctly from the time of installation?
You brought a separate issue as there are mis-timed lights all across the city now.

For a number of reasons.

1. Simple mistakes : equipment degradation that is never corrected because DoT doesn’t work

2. As the city drops in more lights, traffic patterns change and since the DoT doesn’t work, things never get corrected . The DoT simply never follows up.

3. Traffic patterns change over time and what was adequate 10 years ago might not be today. since the DoT doesn’t work it never get reworked.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:40 AM

I’ve also noticed over the years that the DoT contracts out the installation of lights to 3rd parties. I am going to take a wild guess here in that the contractors are only responsible for installing the lights and then the DoT is responsible for their proper operation.

There’s probably a group at DoT responsible for this but my guess is they scratch their balls for 7 hours a day out of 8.

Old 05-04-2024, 08:38 AM

Quote:
You brought a separate issue as there are mis-timed lights all across the city now.

For a number of reasons.

1. Simple mistakes : equipment degradation that is never corrected because DoT doesn’t work

2. As the city drops in more lights, traffic patterns change and since the DoT doesn’t work, things never get corrected . The DoT simply never follows up.

3. Traffic patterns change over time and what was adequate 10 years ago might not be today. since the DoT doesn’t work it never get reworked.
You can actually contact DOT to report a mistimed light. You should put in a complaint and inform us of the results. And let's see if DOT follows up with your request.

https://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/in...ticular%20area.

Old 05-04-2024, 09:14 AM

Quote:
You can actually contact DOT to report a mistimed light. You should put in a complaint and inform us of the results. And let's see if DOT follows up with your request.

https://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/in...ticular%20area.
The city installed a sophisticated real time traffic management system in 2023. They can find them if they want to. They don’t want to. What’s the point of paying taxes if we have to do the jobs of people the city already employs? This isn’t like a pothole which is impossible to pinpoint unless you’re driving right over it.

Old 05-04-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
The city installed a sophisticated real time traffic management system in 2023. They can find them if they want to. They don’t want to. What’s the point of paying taxes if we have to do the jobs of people the city already employs? This isn’t like a pothole which is impossible to pinpoint unless you’re driving right over it.
With that line of thinking, we shouldn't need to call 911 either to report fires or crime, they should already know

I've reported issues to DOT such as potholes and rotting transformer covers in sidewalks, they came out and fixed them in a few weeks each time. Not sure what's causing your angst.

Old 05-04-2024, 10:16 AM

Quote:
With that line of thinking, we shouldn't need to call 911 either to report fires or crime, they should already know

I've reported issues to DOT such as potholes and rotting transformer covers in sidewalks, they came out and fixed them in a few weeks each time. Not sure what's causing your angst.
Not the same thing. There is no way to predict fires or crime since they are literally random events.

The city paid billions of dollars for a very sophisticated real time traffic management system in 2023. The most sophisticated in all of the US. They have access to real time data from most of the 12,400 traffic lights in this city. I’m sure at this point they have the information it no one is acting on it.

With regard to reworking traffic patterns It is also the DoT’s responsibility to conduct traffic evaluations. When was the last time you saw a DoT team doing that?

I belive that no one in the city government is interested in improving traffic conditions in NYC. In fact, a portion wants deteriorating conditions because they think that will push people towards biking/MTA.

Are you able to provide evidence that the DoT is working on improving vehicular traffic conditions in NYC? I’m willing to take a look. Personally, I cant find any initiatives

The more the city tries to dissuade people from striving, the more people drive. I can only guess it’s because the alternatives are still worse at this point.

Old 05-04-2024, 10:21 AM

I’ll provide another common sense suggestion.

Turning 2-way avenues into 1-way traffic. 2-way made sense when traffic was lighter but there’s a reason most Manhattan avenues are 1-way.

Improves throughput and solves left turns creating added congestion.

When was the last time the morons at the DoT did this? Instead the extent of their “work” is making sure every corner has a stoplight or stop sign no matter how short and devoid of traffic the intersection is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City