Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 11:01 AM

5,018 posts, read 7,407,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I think it is mostly all over in suburban areas and maybe in some urban in-fill.

So, you end up paying 30 years for this postage stamp lot and a home that is maybe 6 feet from your neighbors. What could go wrong? Well, some of these developments have HOA fees because someone has to pay for the pocket-park and maintain it and monitor compliance with the standards. HOA fees only go up.
It's in most urban areas in the US, Canada, and Australia. Attaching an example of a development in Calgary, Alberta, that illustrates zero-lot-lines. This is the norm.

And it's not new, so I'm not sure "what could go wrong" that hasn't already gone wrong everywhere.

I would never want to live in a HOA. But some people like that the houses are cheaper.
Attached Thumbnails
Too close for comfort!!-screen-shot-2024-03-02-10.08.27  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 08:38 AM

5,350 posts, read 5,127,881 times
Without dogs, a lot of people could go from a single family home to a condo. The main driver for a yard, however small, is usually the dog and that 3 air feet of noise insulation. I do wish they would just build condos instead though, it's more efficient and the 2 ft yard is useless and looks weird.

New Mexico has space to go around and then some, especially since its not so hilly and steep like Mexico is. Plenty of buildable land. But at a certain size, and Albuquerque is well past that size, things have to dense up so you don't end up with a city 60 miles across. You can't have both, the ranch and a 15 minute commute. And if one wants the ranch, there's plenty of NM outside of Santa Fe and ABQ for that.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:36 AM

979 posts, read 537,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Albuquerque is still one of the least densely populated cities in the country. Tightly-spaced houses are found in many cities, where they are considered charming, like the famous Painted Ladies in San Francisco. Most houses in San Francisco have very little separation like this:
That is because the environment cannot sustain a large population. We have more people than is healthy for the area. Eventually it will be a lot of abandoned apartment complexes and houses because water will be too expensive and precious. Even Las Vegas has already experienced a mass exodus because of lack of water.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:39 AM

979 posts, read 537,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
That all depends on how you define a mansion. There are some expensive homes here, but I wouldn't call very many mansions.

We've been here 25 years. I suspect that many of the houses that were here when you lived here are still here.
Last time I drove through, the house I grew up in was a realty office, it was next to an arroyo on the east side. It used to be on one acre, with a 5 acre feild on the west side of the property. We kept our horses there. That field is now houses. People can't afford to live in Placitas anymore unless they have owned their property for decades.

Old 03-05-2024, 12:50 PM

4,861 posts, read 4,799,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
People can't afford to live in Placitas anymore unless they have owned their property for decades.

Yet, builders keep building home here and have no problems selling them.

Old 03-06-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
That is because the environment cannot sustain a large population. We have more people than is healthy for the area. Eventually it will be a lot of abandoned apartment complexes and houses because water will be too expensive and precious. Even Las Vegas has already experienced a mass exodus because of lack of water.
How is this the case when Albuquerque uses less water today than it did 20 years ago? The city didn't have mass crisis then, why would it be in danger now? The Rio Grande went dry in 2022 and the city didn't keel over. One can always proclaim that climate change will turn New Mexico into the Sahara, but unless that wildcard outcome happens (which would be weird cause warmer = wetter) how are we in existential threat?

Old 03-06-2024, 01:58 PM

16,075 posts, read 10,735,467 times
Residential water use dropped significantly but agricultural water use is claiming the lion’s share of our water. Certain crops (pecans & alfalfa) require a great deal of water. It takes about 700-800 gallons per pound of pecans harvested from mature trees. Beef requires 1,847 gallons of water per pound. Pork needs 718 gallons per pound. McDonald’s uses over one billion pounds of beef each year, so that amounts to 700 billion gallons of water. That’s a lot of water but Lake Erie holds 127 trillion gallons of water. Maybe we need to grow cattle there?

Old 03-07-2024, 10:26 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,793,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Residential water use dropped significantly but agricultural water use is claiming the lion’s share of our water. Certain crops (pecans & alfalfa) require a great deal of water. It takes about 700-800 gallons per pound of pecans harvested from mature trees. Beef requires 1,847 gallons of water per pound. Pork needs 718 gallons per pound. McDonald’s uses over one billion pounds of beef each year, so that amounts to 700 billion gallons of water. That’s a lot of water but Lake Erie holds 127 trillion gallons of water. Maybe we need to grow cattle there?
I am certainly not an environmentalist, but when it comes to the pecan production, I am with you every step of the way. There needs to be a limit as to how many of those trees can be planted and harvested. The water tables in the valley don't lie: they are dropping. EBID cannot provide sufficient acre feet to water these trees, so the farmers are going the irrigation well route. This is where the pecan farmer can tap the ground for additional adequate water. This isn't Georgia or northern Florida. Rain is not abundant enough for these trees to grow naturally: they are purely a figment of everything else, soil and latitude, minus the rain.

Old 03-08-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I am certainly not an environmentalist, but when it comes to the pecan production, I am with you every step of the way. There needs to be a limit as to how many of those trees can be planted and harvested. The water tables in the valley don't lie: they are dropping. EBID cannot provide sufficient acre feet to water these trees, so the farmers are going the irrigation well route. This is where the pecan farmer can tap the ground for additional adequate water. This isn't Georgia or northern Florida. Rain is not abundant enough for these trees to grow naturally: they are purely a figment of everything else, soil and latitude, minus the rain.
Well the pecans are more of a unique thing that that area can grow well, beef and livestock would be my first target over those, since that's something that you can do anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico