Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 03:26 PM

25 posts, read 9,680 times

Advertisements

Has anybody moved to New Mexico from Maine? And are you happy you did. We were there four years ago only because our son had a serious medical tragedy. We were there for 3 weeks at UNM in Albuquerque. Then once a month for a week for the next 5 months. So from Feb. to Aug we have experienced some of your life style. Weather was perfect to us. Your winter was nothing and summer dryness was awesome compared to 70 to 100% humidity over here. My Aunt who lived in Albuquerque all of her adult life always said we should move there. But that was many moons ago. Ive read many posts on crime but thats everywhere. Just have to be smart about it. We were thinking to locate 20 to 30miles around Albuquerque. Of course this wont happen for another 5 years, allot could happen between then. We will be both retired might work part time.
Compared to Maine its definitely cheaper to live there. So whats the best area? I read of some towns are really developing, So hows that going? Anyways hope some of you will chime in it'll be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 04:28 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I moved from Missouri to NM 10 years ago so it is a little different from Maine.
I fell in love with the desert so that part was easy. I do miss midwestern food.
The climate here is nearly perfect four season -- you probably experienced the spring winds when you were here.
I live in Rio Rancho, about 15 miles north and west of downtown ABQ. I'm retired so traffic isn't much of an issue.
It is about 45 minutes to downtown ABQ and about an hour to Santa Fe.
I can catch the Railrunner at the Bernalillo station. It is cheaper taking the train to Santa Fe than driving and parking.
Everything I need is within 4-7 miles: Doctor, Groceries, bank, food & drink. Finding a comfortable church was hard.
There is an OASIS learning in retirement program here. I found meeting people and making friends pretty easy.
Crime is not a problem where I live. Your observation is correct.
I chose to live north of ABQ to be closer to the kind of outdoor recreation I wanted to do.

Regarding growth, New Mexico has 2.2 million people. It isn't growing much. Rio Rancho has seen growth, and it is 3rd largest city right behind Las Cruces. Housing prices have increased significantly.

Old 02-13-2024, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I moved from Missouri to NM 10 years ago so it is a little different from Maine.
I fell in love with the desert so that part was easy. I do miss midwestern food.
The climate here is nearly perfect four season -- you probably experienced the spring winds when you were here.
I live in Rio Rancho, about 15 miles north and west of downtown ABQ. I'm retired so traffic isn't much of an issue.
It is about 45 minutes to downtown ABQ and about an hour to Santa Fe.
I can catch the Railrunner at the Bernalillo station. It is cheaper taking the train to Santa Fe than driving and parking.
Everything I need is within 4-7 miles: Doctor, Groceries, bank, food & drink. Finding a comfortable church was hard.
There is an OASIS learning in retirement program here. I found meeting people and making friends pretty easy.
Crime is not a problem where I live. Your observation is correct.
I chose to live north of ABQ to be closer to the kind of outdoor recreation I wanted to do.

Regarding growth, New Mexico has 2.2 million people. It isn't growing much. Rio Rancho has seen growth, and it is 3rd largest city right behind Las Cruces. Housing prices have increased significantly.
Sungrins thanks for the reply. I read Los Lunas has some major growth but what you read and what people really see might be different. I was looking at real estate and I noticed there's a lot of new development in that area plus businesses. That program sounds interesting. As far as winds I'm use to that Ive lived along the coast here for some time and I'm 20 miles inland now and we still get plenty of wind Spring and early summer 15 to 25 mph winds is common. Winter wind allot higher. I will miss the coast. In maine we have 6300 lakes and ponds. so access to water is not an issue. But NM has only 1200 lakes and ponds. And i'm an avid bass fisherman. So that might be an issue lol. Real estate in Maine has doubled if not triple in some places it's crazy. I was looking in Rio Rancho also for property. But we are tired of the summers here being so humid and tired of icy winters. The weather has changed allot in the past 10 years here.

Old 02-13-2024, 08:53 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
I lived in Maine (Lewiston) briefly in the 1980s, then moved to Boston, before coming to Albuquerque in 1990. Since I'm still here, it must mean I agree with your aunt! One memory of Maine was when I went out after a winter storm to my car, and the door handle was frozen. I pulled on it some more and it snapped off in my hand!

I much prefer the weather in Albuquerque year-round. We get very little snow here in the city, but usually plenty in the Sandia Mountains above 8000'. So I go up there with my snowshoes several times each winter and enjoy tramping on the trails. It reminds me of New England. The mountains also provide a relatively cool refuge in summer. I used to sail when I lived in New England and missed that a little after I left, but having mountains nearby ABQ compensated for it.

Los Lunas is a small town that is growing, and it has traffic issues. I don't know anyone who lives there, so can't really advise you on that. I don't know if you're used to a small town or city (no city in ME is as big as Albuquerque) but I'll think you'll find small towns in NM very different from ME. Although like ME, we have a "You mind your own business and I'll mind mine" kind of ethic.

There are ponds in Albuquerque stocked with trout (at Tingley Beach), and other places for fishing here and there. Here's a video of ice fishing on Fenton Lake, about an hour and a half north of Albuquerque:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F77lkiGakW4

Old 02-13-2024, 10:08 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
I am from New Jersey, which isn't exactly Maine, but closer, culturally, to Maine, than New Mexico. From what I understand about zoning, and land use, New Mexico is going to be the polar opposite of New Mexico. There are counties in New Mexico (from what I know Otero County for example) that have absolutely no zoning restrictions or covenants, conditions and restrictions of any kind. If you are used to Lincoln County or Knox County regulations in Maine, it's going to be a major cultural shock if you relocate to a county outside of Bernallilo or Santa Fe in New Mexico. Land use planning culture in New Mexico vs Maine couldn't be more different.

Old 02-14-2024, 08:14 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnmaine View Post
Sungrins thanks for the reply. I read Los Lunas has some major growth but what you read and what people really see might be different. I was looking at real estate and I noticed there's a lot of new development in that area plus businesses. That program sounds interesting. As far as winds I'm use to that Ive lived along the coast here for some time and I'm 20 miles inland now and we still get plenty of wind Spring and early summer 15 to 25 mph winds is common. Winter wind allot higher. I will miss the coast. In maine we have 6300 lakes and ponds. so access to water is not an issue. But NM has only 1200 lakes and ponds. And i'm an avid bass fisherman. So that might be an issue lol. Real estate in Maine has doubled if not triple in some places it's crazy. I was looking in Rio Rancho also for property. But we are tired of the summers here being so humid and tired of icy winters. The weather has changed allot in the past 10 years here.
Los Lunas does have a lot of growth but it is behind on infrastructure, traffic is bad during commuting hours. There is very little shopping, you either have to go to Belen or Albuquerque. Belen isn't much bigger though. As far as I know there is only one movie theater off the highway near Los Lunas. Depending on what you are looking for there are a lot of nice towns in northern New Mexico you might like to look at.

As for the 2.2 million population that is actually 1 million more than the environbment (water, farming etc) can sustain. Water wise we are near a breaking point so I usually try to discourage people from moving here. The state of New Mexico is behind on a lot of infrastructure in a lot of places (and that includes medical services) as well, so if you have crappy cell service or the roads are full of potholes accept that is part of living here.

Old 02-14-2024, 08:41 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,475,440 times
You said you were interested in living 20-30 miles from Albuquerque. Los Lunas to the south as you mentioned is one option. Belen is also down that way. Eastward you'd be on the other side of the mountains in Edgewood or the surrounding area. About 10 miles north of Albuquerque is Bernalillo and Placitas (20-30 miles north are Indian pueblos).

Each of these areas has a very different feel - rural vs suburban, size of lots, closeness of neighbors, nearness to services, etc. To priovide useful advice it would be helpful to have a better idea of the type of location you're looking for. Also what price point would you consider for housing.

We live in an active adult community in Bernalillo that backs up to the Rio Grande. Absolutely love it but it wouldn't fit someone who's looking for a lot with some space. All depends on what fits you best.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I am from New Jersey, which isn't exactly Maine, but closer, culturally, to Maine, than New Mexico. From what I understand about zoning, and land use, New Mexico is going to be the polar opposite of New Mexico. There are counties in New Mexico (from what I know Otero County for example) that have absolutely no zoning restrictions or covenants, conditions and restrictions of any kind. If you are used to Lincoln County or Knox County regulations in Maine, it's going to be a major cultural shock if you relocate to a county outside of Bernallilo or Santa Fe in New Mexico. Land use planning culture in New Mexico vs Maine couldn't be more different.

I'm from Southern Maine not northern maine and there is a huge difference cultural wise. So the biggest city is Portland we are only 30 min from there. living in smaller cities I've lived. And yes restrictions is normal. Dont want to live northern maine, nice to vacation if you want peace and quite near a lake or camping. But I wouldnt live there.
As far as NM it'll be the same not directly in the city but not to far that I have to drive an hour to grocery store. 30 to 45 min drive to major city will suite us just fine.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
Los Lunas does have a lot of growth but it is behind on infrastructure, traffic is bad during commuting hours. There is very little shopping, you either have to go to Belen or Albuquerque. Belen isn't much bigger though. As far as I know there is only one movie theater off the highway near Los Lunas. Depending on what you are looking for there are a lot of nice towns in northern New Mexico you might like to look at.

As for the 2.2 million population that is actually 1 million more than the environbment (water, farming etc) can sustain. Water wise we are near a breaking point so I usually try to discourage people from moving here. The state of New Mexico is behind on a lot of infrastructure in a lot of places (and that includes medical services) as well, so if you have crappy cell service or the roads are full of potholes accept that is part of living here.

Yes I have read by the infrastructure in New Mexico being way behind. But I'm kind of used to that here in Maine we have a lot of bridges and Rosa needs to be repaired it takes forever. Potholes are very familiar with lol. As far as medical is concerned I was told when I was there that is a hit or miss. When we were there with her son university of New Mexico hospital was exceptional we could've asked better service. As far as after the fact for Rehab it was one of the worst things I've ever seen. Canyon Rehab had misfits working over there. The six months that he was there you were lucky to see the same staff every week it was like a rotating door. And half of them couldn't speak English couldn't read his chart right or anything had to call them every day to make sure he got his meds and so on.. I can go on so I will aware of medical service, it happens here too. So you really have to do your homework.

I can see Water being in an issue you see it all the time on the news. And it's not just New Mexico. Infrastructure is not keeping up with the population and it's only gonna get worse. So washing your car there once a week in your yard is probably a big no-no?
When you go on Zillow there was a Lotta new housing developments towards Los Lunas But yes also read about traffic problems. Thats why I like to hear from people who can give me more insight of what is really going on.

Old 02-14-2024, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
You said you were interested in living 20-30 miles from Albuquerque. Los Lunas to the south as you mentioned is one option. Belen is also down that way. Eastward you'd be on the other side of the mountains in Edgewood or the surrounding area. About 10 miles north of Albuquerque is Bernalillo and Placitas (20-30 miles north are Indian pueblos).

Each of these areas has a very different feel - rural vs suburban, size of lots, closeness of neighbors, nearness to services, etc. To priovide useful advice it would be helpful to have a better idea of the type of location you're looking for. Also what price point would you consider for housing.

We live in an active adult community in Bernalillo that backs up to the Rio Grande. Absolutely love it but it wouldn't fit someone who's looking for a lot with some space. All depends on what fits you best.

Are you a Realtor? Yes having a neighbor 5 ft from you like I saw when i was there would be hard to get use to. But 50 ft would be better. Suburban is perfect. 20 to 45 min to stores etc I didnt look at Bernalilo yet. But did look at rio rancho There will be adjustments thats for sure. We have plus and minus here but in the last 10 years more minus. And I know same for NM i'm sure. 200k to 300k was a little disappointed for housing it seemed allot of fixing needed. But thats online. We will go there again and browse allot this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico