Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,832 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband and I are newlyweds (in our late twenties) and looking to relocate to Cherry Hill from Mercer County. As it is such a large town, we are finding it quite overwhelming to determine the best area for us! Here are some things we are considering:

1) We are planning on starting a family in the years to come, so we are looking for a section with lots of young families.

2) Along the same lines, we are interested in schools. I have read that East High is slightly better than West High, but how much truth is there to that. Should it deter us from considering a home in West? Are there certain elementary schools that have a great reputation? (all seem to rank highly on Great Schools).

3) We want to easily access 295/Turnpike, and fear that some of the farther neighborhoods in the eastern part of Cherry Hill will make it difficult during commuting hours.

Any additional insights that might help us in our decision or teach us more about what Cherry Hill has to offer is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 08:30 AM

691 posts, read 3,059,709 times
I know CH East is supposed to be better than West; however, West still ranks pretty high and I would definitely not be deterred from purchasing a home on the western side of town. You are correct that the far eastern portions of CH are not very accessible to major highways such as 295, 70, and the Turnpike. The areas of CH with the easiest access to main roads, in my opinion, are the neighborhoods along Kings Highway, north of Route 70, or the areas along Route 70 just east of 295. I don't know anything about specific CH elementary schools or what neighborhoods have a lot of young families so hopefully someone else can chime in about that.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
You can't go wrong with either school, for sure.. The area along Kings highway (rt. 41) is my favorite area of CH. Not sure where the young families are at though..

Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kncollar View Post
Hi All,

My husband and I are newlyweds (in our late twenties) and looking to relocate to Cherry Hill from Mercer County. As it is such a large town, we are finding it quite overwhelming to determine the best area for us! Here are some things we are considering:

1) We are planning on starting a family in the years to come, so we are looking for a section with lots of young families.
That is something I wouldn't even know where to begin to figure that out. One way to do it sort of sneaky is to look at the previous sold data for the houses in the neighborhood. If you have a bunch that haven't sold in 20 years, then you can rest assured the neighborhood has a lot of older couples and families. If you see a bunch of turnover then the chance of there being younger kids is higher. I don't really think you can go wrong though on that front and I would personally choose the neighborhood based on liking the location and house and then letting the rest fall where it will. These days kids playing in the neighborhood is the exception with the rule being managed "play dates" with friends from school. So, even if you live in a neighborhood with a hundred kids, chances are your kid will still want to play with Billy from his class that lives four developments away, lol.

Quote:
2) Along the same lines, we are interested in schools. I have read that East High is slightly better than West High, but how much truth is there to that. Should it deter us from considering a home in West? Are there certain elementary schools that have a great reputation? (all seem to rank highly on Great Schools).
Cherry Hill allows school choice at the high school level based on track and what you want to study. So, you can live anywhere in Cherry Hill and go to East or West based on personal preference. So, high school is basically not a factor in this. As for elementaries, they are all pretty good, so again, decide which neighborhood you want, not what school you want. The rankings can be rather variable as well, so this years "8" on great schools may be next years "6" and vice versa.

Quote:
3) We want to easily access 295/Turnpike, and fear that some of the farther neighborhoods in the eastern part of Cherry Hill will make it difficult during commuting hours.
Commuting on 70, 73 and 38 can be hell at times. If easy access to 295 and the NJTP is a priority then look for neighborhoods that will give you that acccess.

Quote:
Any additional insights that might help us in our decision or teach us more about what Cherry Hill has to offer is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!
Cherry Hill is a large and somewhat diverse town. It's a great choice for relocating, but I wouldn't contain yourself to just there. Depending on your wants and needs, there are plenty of other towns like Haddon Township, Haddonfield, Cinnaminson, Moorestown, Mount Laurel, Evesham, etc. that offer equally good or better schools, but have different vibes, offer a downtown, etc. Some of them also allow for much easier access to 295 and the NJTP. Basically, don't pigeon hole yourself into Cherry Hill unless you have a very compelling reason to do so as there are other towns (some of which I listed) which may match your needs and wants even better.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 AM

161 posts, read 344,487 times
Regarding schools, it does not matter where you live in the town. You are free to send your children to any of the two High Schools.

http://www.cherryhill.k12.nj.us/depa...highlights.pdf

Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kncollar View Post
Hi All,

Thanks!!!
Cherry Hill is pretty well mixed as far as ages.

My nephew & his wife are in their late 20s & just had a baby. They bought in Erlton in the section between 70 & Cooper River.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:05 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,168 times
Part of CH is closer to Exit 32/31 of I-295, while the other part is closer to 34A/34B.

I don't think any area in the east side of town (08003) is really far from I-295 at all. For the Turnpike, maybe you'd want to be closer to 70 where you can take Springdale Rd. up north, but it's still not far from Woodcrest either.

It's the west side of town, like where the Wal-Mart/Courier Post/former Toyota dealership/Pathmark/Ashley Furniture is located, that is far from the I-295, but as a benefit to it, it is very close to Philly.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:59 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101 View Post
Regarding schools, it does not matter where you live in the town. You are free to send your children to any of the two High Schools.

http://www.cherryhill.k12.nj.us/depa...highlights.pdf
You also don't want your kids to have a long commute to school. If you want them to go to East, it's probably best to live near East.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:52 AM

745 posts, read 1,437,732 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I just found this... pretty cool and I think it can give you an idea of the neighborhoods in the town.

When looking at this graphic/ map, I think what is referred to as East are South and West is North (on this map).. but that is probably oversimplifying.

Exit 34 on 295 would be the Barclay Farm area and 32 would be Willowdale area (?).
Route 70 seperates Barclay Farms and Ellisburg sections.

I think.... please chime in anyone if you disagree.

Last edited by Yac; 02-27-2013 at 07:30 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 09:47 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I just found this... pretty cool and I think it can give you an idea of the neighborhoods in the town.

When looking at this graphic/ map, I think what is referred to as East are South and West is North (on this map).. but that is probably oversimplifying.

Exit 34 on 295 would be the Barclay Farm area and 32 would be Willowdale area (?).
Route 70 seperates Barclay Farms and Ellisburg sections.

I think.... please chime in anyone if you disagree.
That map is OK but leaves out a lot of development names. For instance, when you cross Kresson from New Barclay it's Haddontowne. Erlton is not designated, although it is not a development.

Last edited by Yac; 02-27-2013 at 07:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia