Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 11:28 AM

3 posts, read 2,991 times

Advertisements

I am a single nurse in my fifties. Looking to settle into a town that meets many of my needs. I have been travel nursing the last year and a half searching for an mid-size town that has cold, snowy winters but also offers some culture, safe, walkable streets, job opportunities, beauty and proximity to mountains, cross-country skiing, hiking, biking and paddle boarding. I have read a few postings that Concord is recommended for many of the reasons I have listed. I don't care to move to a college town but living in an area where I can find social opportunities for someone my own age would be preferred. My biggest reason for leaving Eugene, OR was lack of close by snow and skiing. I love a cold winter and want snow falling out my window. Can you tell me if Concord would meet that need and all the rest? I do not want to live in a small town as I have done that several times over the last year plus and have realized that I need a little bit bigger area with decent retail and a hospital that's larger than critical access. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 12:25 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
If you aren't committed to NH, I would suggest Chelmsford MA:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Chelm...achusetts.html

Everything you want, and when you want 'big city' amenities Boston is close by (plus a large airport and best in the world health care).

Good luck in your move!

Old 02-04-2024, 04:02 PM

3,246 posts, read 1,739,106 times
You might want to consider Manchester and Nashua NH as well. They as well as Concord have big hospitals and are served by an airport in Manchester.
Good skiing a reasonable drive from Concord.
Best wishes and good luck.

Old 02-05-2024, 03:51 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,055,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloseEnough2024 View Post
I love a cold winter and want snow falling out my window.

Yes, it snows in Concord but doesn't always stick. While acknowledging this has been a strange year, I'm two hours north and only have six icy inches on the ground. The snowmobile clubs are hating life now.

Slightly smaller than Concord, but still offering retail and 'stuff', check out the areas around Dartmouth-Hitchcock. Probably a little bit more snow. The landscape IMO is more pleasing there as well. The housing options get exponentially more affordable once you get 20ish minutes away on either side of the Connecticut River.

Throw upstate NY, Burlington, VT, or Augusta/Bangor, ME, SLC, UT, maybe Boise, ID into your research pool as well. I know nothing of the hospitals there.

Old 02-05-2024, 09:46 AM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Dartmouth-Hitchcock is in a college town and most social opportunities are oriented toward young people. Burlington, while also a college town, is much larger and more diverse in its population and activities. I would look at Portland ME as well.

Old 02-05-2024, 03:04 PM

I have already ruled out Lebanon, NH, Burlington, VT, and Portland, ME for various reasons. I've already lived in the first two and visited the last one. I will have to look into Chelmsford, MA. I have been assuming that Massachusetts was too far from the snow. Maybe all of New England is a bad idea anymore. Just looking for somewhere similar to Eugene only cold and snowy and closer to ski areas. We never got snow in town there and always had to drive an hour and a half or more to find it. Thanks for all the input!

Old 02-05-2024, 03:11 PM

Yikes! A quick search on Chelmsford, MA appears that it is a very expensive area. I'm talking a single nurses salary here so I need to focus on places that are a little more affordable.

Old 02-06-2024, 09:19 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Eugene, Oregon has a population of 175,000. That would make it the second largest city in New England - behind Boston - by a large margin.

Hard to draw a comparison with any New England town, quite frankly. Concord is a fine choice, it's just not going to be anything like Eugene.

Old 02-07-2024, 04:24 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Concord is a fine choice. Concord has a nice downtown area surrounded by some nice walkable neighborhoods. It is centrally located and has easy access to lakes, mountains, beaches, and recreation. I travel regularly to Concord from the New London area for shopping and to grab a bite at The Red Blazer or Common Man.

Concord averages about 70 inches of snow a year. However, since 2019 winters have been warmer than normal and snow fall has been below average (2017 and 2018 had over 80 inches). The Concord area has been the dividing rain/snow line for many of the storms we have received recently. Whether or not this is the new normal, only time will tell.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:55 AM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
If your looking for Winter weather , any place in New England is cooler and has more snow than Eugene..
Summer is a different story . Eugene has cooler Summer temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire