Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2024, 12:19 PM

121 posts, read 242,021 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
We are in process of buying a house in NH (we are from MA). We tried calling the town to find out about all the regulations etc, but they told us they will only speak to an agent or attorney. So I am looking for an attorney who specializes in development and has worked with the Town Zoning Department. I would like to get a consultation and also for an attorney to call the town and to find out all the info we need.

Does anyone know an attorney they can recommend?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2024, 02:50 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Can't recommend any particular lawyer but the AVVO website has a listing of land use and zoning attorneys in NH.

https://www.avvo.com/land-use-zoning-lawyer/nh.html

Old 01-24-2024, 05:37 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,055,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka View Post
Hello all,

We tried calling the town to find out about all the regulations etc, but they told us they will only speak to an agent or attorney.
Only addressing this part...if the town has a website, the zoning regs and all the other stuff is likely on it.

If you find and read the stuff, I also recommend spending some time reading meeting minutes so as to get a vibe for the town. Although I will say "we only talk to lawyers" is bad vibe enough. Like a comically bad vibe.

Old 01-27-2024, 02:12 PM

65 posts, read 88,491 times
I fully concur with @abnfdc. Bad vibes. Maybe look elsewhere.

It just happens that I was today at a training for city officers (I am now a member of a board, yay!), one of the main topics, over an hour, was regarding the "right to know" legislation, which happens to be pretty extensive in this great state, and our city wants us to really serve the public, which is something that we're all of one accord.

Bottom line, while you technically could twist pretty much anybody's arm using a "Right to Know" official request that you don't need a lawyer for, and they must comply, or they get in trouble if followed up (of course, this next step through lawyers, etc.), the fact that your prospective town officers seem to disregard a simple request (zoning regulations are a simple request) by a prospective new neighbor might mean that normal, conciliatory, not aggressive people should drive a few extra miles, to avoid even approaching said town.

Also, regulations is not everything, how they are enforced and etc., exactly as our learned colleague mentioned, minutes, etc. Again, if that is unobtanium... you don't want to be the stranger that the locals get a chance to kick around.

Old 01-29-2024, 05:25 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Can't your realtor get you that information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire