Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is your life more or less involved / entangled in Massachusetts post-pandemic?
My life is LESS involved/entangled with Massachusetss post-pandemic. 6 28.57%
My life is MORE involved/entangled with Massachusetss post-pandemic. 3 14.29%
It is the same as it was pre-pandemic. 3 14.29%
My life has never been involved/entangled with Massachusetts. 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2023, 06:33 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
People in the Massachusetts forum sometimes trot out the belief that southern New Hampshire is significantly dependent on Boston and eastern Massachusetts for its economy.
Let's see.

Winter sports. Ski, snowmobile, etc.

Lakes Region and other Summer regions.
Those out of staters spend their monies on everything from lodging to grocery stores to restaurants to gas stations to the state liquor stores and on and on.

Shopping in all stores by out of staters.

Without out of staters, New Hampshire would cozy up to the likes of Alabama or Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2023, 07:00 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Let's see.

Winter sports. Ski, snowmobile, etc.

Lakes Region and other Summer regions.
Those out of staters spend their monies on everything from lodging to grocery stores to restaurants to gas stations to the state liquor stores and on and on.

Shopping in all stores by out of staters.

Without out of staters, New Hampshire would cozy up to the likes of Alabama or Louisiana.
The post of mine that you quoted specified southern New Hampshire and yet you talk about the "lakes region and other summer regions." Those are two very different things. Anyway the increase in remote work stemming from the pandemic has changed the reality which was my inspiration for starting this thread almost one year ago.

Old 12-25-2023, 03:57 AM

Quote:
For some obtuse reason, some think that New Hampshre is being ruined by folks that move here.

That conclusion is absurd. Home construction, renovations, services, retail sales, etc. all benefit from a constant growth.

Old 12-25-2023, 03:45 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
And who wants constant growth? Increased prices? More traffic? Higher property taxes? Ugh.

Old 12-25-2023, 05:06 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Post-pandemic... well Massachusetts transplants have wreaked havoc on our real estate prices, created more housing developments and created rental unit shortages. And we have a lot more tourists and road traffic in the summertime.

Old 12-29-2023, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
And who wants constant growth? Increased prices? More traffic? Higher property taxes? Ugh.
Construction workers, trades people, grocery stores, gas stations, barbers, hair salons, house cleaners, waiters,waitresses, chimney sweepers, landscapers, doctors, dentists, veterinarians, etc.

Whew ! We got some real luddites here in New Hampshire.

Old 12-29-2023, 06:19 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
The good thing is that a large amount of land in NH is conserved due to the current use land policy, conservation areas, National Forest, and State Forest land. This leads to solid gains in real estate values over time for the more desirable towns.

Old 12-30-2023, 11:50 AM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Construction workers, trades people, grocery stores, gas stations, barbers, hair salons, house cleaners, waiters,waitresses, chimney sweepers, landscapers, doctors, dentists, veterinarians, etc.
None of those people need economic growth to earn a living. They just need ongoing or repeat business from the existing customer base. All New Hampshire needs to do is generate enough in-migration to replace deaths.

Construction workers and trades people can earn a living doing maintenance and repairs on existing structures and systems because those things wear out over time and require renovation. Grocery stores do not need constant new customers because the existing customers need to make repeat purchases to feed themselves, the same thing goes for barbers as the hair on existing customers is always growing back. Every service job category is much the same.

Old 12-30-2023, 12:38 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Post-pandemic... well Massachusetts transplants have wreaked havoc on our real estate prices, created more housing developments and created rental unit shortages. And we have a lot more tourists and road traffic in the summertime.
NH ites didnt have to sell to out of staters. You have no one to blame but yourselves.

Old 01-04-2024, 04:21 PM

68 posts, read 55,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I'd like to hear from my fellow New Hampshire residents on this topic. People in the Massachusetts forum sometimes trot out the belief that southern New Hampshire is significantly dependent on Boston and eastern Massachusetts for its economy. Surely in pre-pandemic times, many people lived in southern New Hampshire towns and commuted into the Boston suburbs or even the city itself. Has the increase in WFH opportunities due to the events surrounding the pandemic changed your dependency on Massachusetts?
I lived in the Manchester area from the mid 60s thru the mid 00s, and 'most everyone I knew even then considered most of the border cities/towns like Salem, Hudson or Nashua to be part of Mass. I will say that for a couple years in the early 70s I worked in Mass. and commuted, I guess I was part of the "problem" too.

I've been living in the north country for the last 18 years, and unfortunately, most of the economy here depends on tourists and second-home owners, a large percentage of whom come from Mass. A bad snow year (like this winter is shaping up to be) is a real downer economically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire