Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2022, 03:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,771 times

Advertisements

Long story short have a newborn and relocating from CA to NV to be near in laws and other family.

My vehicles registration is due on the 8th of this month and we are moving on the 10th. It seems so pointless to pay close to $200 to register my vehicle for two days since CA does nothing to pro-rate the charge or anything.

My question is if I contact CA DMV and let them know I am moving out of state will I have any issues registering the vehicle in NV with an expired registration? I’ve tried searching online for information but getting many answers and figured I would try here to get some insight. I plan on calling both CA and NV DMV tomorrow but was just curious what the opinion around these parts would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 11:56 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,087 times
If you show up at a Nevada DMV without current registration there will be a fine of "up to $500". Nevada residents can obtain a Moving Permit that is good for 10 days. You can't because your car is not previously registered in Nevada,

Old 05-25-2022, 12:34 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
For bureaucratic requirements like this, "opinions" aren't very useful...especially when they happen to be wrong. Best to save time/energy and get the right info right from the horse's mouth.

Ask the CA DMV whether there's a temporary operating permit that might fit your situation:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicl...ating-permits/

Also consider that a fine from NV will probably cost you more than that CA renewal...even if you only got the benefit of it for 2 days.

Chalk this up as one of the many minor irritations of interstate moving, keep your car's registration current, and forget it. If you just have to find a little upside, consider this: car registration is considered a personal property tax you paid during the year, at least by the IRS and possibly by states. You may be able to deduct both registrations this year...CA and NV.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-25-2022 at 02:04 PM..

Old 05-25-2022, 02:14 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,087 times
Quote:
You may be able to deduct both registrations this year...CA and NV.
That is a downside, not an upside. Your tax savings is never as much as you paid, and you paid twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada