Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 05:08 PM

482 posts, read 2,225,709 times

Advertisements

MattDen,

Maybe it was dishwater that you got. We only have your side of the story and not the side of the restaurant, maybe you were having a bad day and you attittude was showing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 07:51 PM

673 posts, read 4,069,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
Those stories and you think rural Nebraska is full of mean people? Sounds like my 2 hour experience in Albany NY. LOL.
With Albany at least your with-in three hours of New York. At the foot of the Berkshire Mountains. Also, Albany is a big metropolitan area so of course many varieties of personality and people unlike rural Nebraska.

My tolerance for arrogance is higher in a metro area then in a small town in the middle of no-where.

Kos, of course I was having a bad day I mean seriously I was being offended left and right by being subjected to the sight of these towns on the left and right sides of the road just to get back to Denver. The only halfway decent towns between Lincoln and the state line are North Platte and Sidney everything else was depressing out there.

Ogallalla, Kimball, Lexington, Hastings and Grand Island are probubly the worst of the worst though in this state. Lexington is probubly the filthiest town I have ever seen in the midwest. Grand Island isnt filthy but it is very visually unappealing as a town.

Last edited by MattDen; 03-17-2007 at 08:18 PM..

Old 03-18-2007, 02:28 AM

Well we finally have something that we can agree on. Lexington was a very nice city until they closed the New Holland plant on the south side of town and moved it out of the country. It is now a meat packing plant town. Most of the people that live there are Latino so you get to see how they choose to live. Most to of the ones who could afford to leave Lexington has left. Kind of shows you what NAFTA has done for America and shows you what the illegal aliens, sorry undocumented workers, are doing, not just to Nebraska but, to the rest of our country.

Now Ogallalla is more of a tourist town. Ogallalla at one time was a cow town where many Texas cattle herds ended up to be shipped east to New York. They still have the old boot hill where many drovers from Texas now live. You also have Big Mac just north so they rely a lot on people coming to the town for their income. I have been there, but never was treated bad.

Now Hastings and Grand Island are both cities that I consider to be very open and friendly. You have Sturh Museum in Grand Island and Hastings has an IMAX at the Hastings museum. You have Fonner Park Horse racing in Grand Island and Grand Island is one of the fastest growing cities in Nebraska. You have major manufacturing companies if both cities. Both cities have a major railroad running through them, with Grand Island having two. Both cities have very excellent hospitals in Mary Lanning in Hastings and St Francis Medical Center in Grand Island.

It is to bad that the whole world can not be just the way you want it so that you will no longer be offended left and right at the sight of these towns. You have answered my thoughts about why you were being treated, which is according to you, was bad. It was you attitude. Most of the waiters and waiteress that have done it for awhile can tell when someone has an attitude. They will seem to avoid you as much as possible and only do what they have to do. They will not go out of their way to please just you if you show this attitude. Try showing some respect and understanding next time you might be surprised at the service you will get.

I hope that you find happiness in Ohio when you move there, but something tells me that you will not.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:18 AM

585 posts, read 2,222,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
With Albany at least your with-in three hours of New York. At the foot of the Berkshire Mountains. Also, Albany is a big metropolitan area so of course many varieties of personality and people unlike rural Nebraska.

My tolerance for arrogance is higher in a metro area then in a small town in the middle of no-where.

Kos, of course I was having a bad day I mean seriously I was being offended left and right by being subjected to the sight of these towns on the left and right sides of the road just to get back to Denver. The only halfway decent towns between Lincoln and the state line are North Platte and Sidney everything else was depressing out there.

Ogallalla, Kimball, Lexington, Hastings and Grand Island are probubly the worst of the worst though in this state. Lexington is probubly the filthiest town I have ever seen in the midwest. Grand Island isnt filthy but it is very visually unappealing as a town.
Well, you only gave us two examples. Sounds more like a coincidence than anything. Was this all in one trip?

Lexington is a somewhat depressing city but at least Kearney is next door. That's a pretty nice city. Lexington, Ogallala, GI aren't that bad compared to some cities I've been to. I never thought Hastings was that bad, nicer than the three I mentioned above.

Man, if you've been to Utica, Troy or Schenectady NY...the downtowns are borderline ghetto. THOSE are depressing cities.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
[Rumblebelly;469934 Man, if you've been to Utica, Troy or Schenectady NY...the downtowns are borderline ghetto. THOSE are depressing cities.
Schenectady ghetto? Must be a different place than where I lived.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Schenectady ghetto? Must be a different place than where I lived.
Ghetto might be too strong of a word but along the main drag, hwy 5, many buildings are vacant and boarded up. It looks like a 3rd of the city packed up and left. I'm sure when GE was still in the area the place was gorgeous. The architecture looks great but it's been badly neglected and is run down.

Scotia on the other hand, across the Mohawk River, was pretty cute.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:05 PM

12 posts, read 96,693 times
Hastings, GI, Lex. and Kearny, huh? I will comment on these cities. I've lived in all of them but lex, I did live for awhile outside cozad though right next door. Hastings looked like a really nice city at first, untill you get to know it a little better. I eventually learned that it's hard for someone like me to fit in there. Way too much meth for me. It's nice to visit and all, well it was but living there ruined it for me. GI again lots of meth. They wear it out front a little more thought. I found in both of these cities that it seemed the police were too busy harrasing people that didn't look like they would bite, to actually do their job. I would NEVER raise kids in either of these places. Lex..... Oh dear, It's just so hard to talk about Lex without sounding racist, especially on the internet to people who know nothing about you, so let me clarify first my "racist views" I am a white male. most of the kids I grew up with were mexican decent. many of them were first generation americans. I still have many mexican friends, In fact one of my friends that I met in Baghdad was a mexican citizen in the US Army and thats how he ended up getting his citizenship. Lex is it's own story though. IMO many of the immigrants in lex are friendly, but they do live by different standards of "clenliness" than the rest of us. I think that it works very well for them they live often times in large groups and there seems to be a lot of litter and broken stuff around there dwellings. By living together like this in cheap run down houses though they save A WHOLE lot of money! They can send thousands of dollars home every month. Others do choose to use all of this money on drugs and alcohal. These people I could do without these are often the ones that refuse to speak english and run around talking trash on the US but you just can't get them to go home. Lex seems to have quite a few of these trashy mexicans, where as Hastings tends to have the trashy white people, and GI seems to have a bit of both. Kearney I love Kearney the biggest drug problem in kearney is alcohal, and a bit of weed. neither of these seem to be nearly as bad the meth haunting the other cities in question. The biggest problem I have with Kearney is that it is growing so quickly people come from places like the coasts and Denver and posion are fair city with their lack of morals and their horrible attitudes. Yes I have been in customer service for many years and waited my share of tables, and Kos your right I can smell a bad attitude from a mile down the interstate. And although I don't like GI, or Hastings, I would rather stay there than go many other places in the US.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:29 AM

246 posts, read 1,056,994 times
Default highliner

What a strange thread! About five years ago , I spent a considerable amount of time in Nebraska and Wyoming, on a work-related expedition. Although I hated the landscape, I and my colleagues found the people to be quite hospitable, even after they found out that we were there to forcibly relocate some of their neighbors. Hmmm, maybe THAT'S why they were so friendly. Seriously, though, we were treated well, generally far better in the small towns of western Nebraska, than in southern Wyoming. It's especially funny that Ogallala should be criticized here, since we used it as a logistical point, and generally were quite pleased with the attitudes and work ethics of the locals. I always seem to get the respect that I give others-live and (hopefully) learn.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:59 PM

someguyfromnebraska,

Meth is a major problem in the midwest from small towns to major cities like Lincoln and Omaha. It would be nice if the stuff was never invented by both the Germans and Allied military forces in WWII. We would be much better off today without it. We would still be fighting against other drugs like coke, marijuana, hash and heroin or something else today. Overall I still would much rather be in Hastings or Grand Island than Chicago, New York, LA or another bigger city. The problems in Hastings, Lexington, Grand Island and the rest of Nebraska are minor if you look at the problems they, Chicago, New York, LA, have. Maybe in time the individuals living in Lexington will begin taking some Nebraska pride in their town and clean it up again. I am not a racist either as I work for the UN in Europe right now where I have to work with about 50 different nationalities from around the world so I guess that I get to learn to respect everyone from Hindu, Arab, African, Muslim, European, Asian, Hispanics from South America and even Americans from all over the USA. I also was in the military for 26 years and I too have friends from different backgrounds as well. Also about Lexington I saw what the city was like before and I have seen what it has become since which makes feel angry with the individuals living there now.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:58 PM

Yep, meth and other drugs are even a problem in good ol Fort Collins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska