Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 10:47 AM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times

Advertisements

We get an occasional bird strike on a window. The last one, I fear cost him his life as I found clumps of black feathers around the yard in the days afterward.

There are boo coo internet listings for these stickers. Does anyone here use them, are they successful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 02:39 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
We get an occasional bird strike on a window. The last one, I fear cost him his life as I found clumps of black feathers around the yard in the days afterward.

There are boo coo internet listings for these stickers. Does anyone here use them, are they successful?
Haven't used them on my house but have seen them used on office windows. One or two little hawk-shaped stickers often doesn't solve the problem because the entire glass pane reflects light, images of trees, branches, or sky at specific times of day, tricking the bird into believing the whole pane is open air. The problem is breaking up the reflection the glass surface produces overall, not in just one spot.

Putting anything on the inside of the window won't work because the reflection will still be produced by the outside of the glass. You need to disrupt the outside glass surface so it can't produce the reflection...either coating the surface with something or putting something in front of the window itself.

I've heard some people put a simple garden trellis in front of particularly bad windows when the sun angle seems to create the problem. It may be seasonal. Even though the glass behind the trellis still produces a reflection, birds sense the lattice openings are too small to fit through.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/w...lp-prevent-it/

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-23-2024 at 02:53 PM..

Old 03-24-2024, 01:22 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
I purchased some decals. But on the package it says to work well they should be on the outside. I've read somewhere hanging several ribbons or strings on the outside works well but I haven't tried that.

Old 03-24-2024, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I purchased some decals. But on the package it says to work well they should be on the outside. I've read somewhere hanging several ribbons or strings on the outside works well but I haven't tried that.
Neighbors of mine hung mylar ribbons in front of one offending window. Held up to the weather well and they moved in the slightest breeze. While the flashy ribbon was distracting for the humans, that same flashiness did seem to be more effective keeping birds away from the glass. Another neighbor tried hanging a few old scratched CDs on strings in front of a window.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-24-2024 at 03:33 PM..

Old 03-24-2024, 04:21 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
tin pie pans will also work ...outside!

Old 03-24-2024, 11:00 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
You can also buy film that reflects ultraviolet light to apply to the exterior of the window. A human looking out the window from inside the room will see nothing unusual, but to a bird, the window will appear to be solid or patterned (courtesy of the reflected UV light).

Some tips from the American Bird Conservancy on ways to reduce window collisions: https://abcbirds.org/wp-content/uplo...Flyer-2016.pdf

Here are links to the two window films the American Bird Conservancy recommends:

https://www.decorativefilm.com/specialty-bird-safety (this one has narrow horizontal or vertical stripes which the human eye can see, but which are not visually too intrusive.)

https://www.collidescape.org (This one appears clear to the human eye when looking out the window from inside, but appears opaque when viewed from outside.)

Old 03-25-2024, 09:05 PM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post

I have several on my front window I got at a wild bird store. A fledgling robin hit the window pretty hard last summer and I felt bad. It seemed to recover but I wouldn't be surprised if it's gonna have some sort of bird version of CTE the rest of its life. Haven't had a strike since then, but I didn't get a lot of strikes on that window so I can't say if it's worked or not.

On my kitchen window (big bay window), which looks out at my bird feeders, I have a covering over it like this. I used to get a ton of bird strikes on that window due to the bird feeders, but since I put the covering over it haven't had a single one.

Old 04-17-2024, 09:07 PM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Haven't used them on my house but have seen them used on office windows. One or two little hawk-shaped stickers often doesn't solve the problem because the entire glass pane reflects light, images of trees, branches, or sky at specific times of day, tricking the bird into believing the whole pane is open air. The problem is breaking up the reflection the glass surface produces overall, not in just one spot.

Putting anything on the inside of the window won't work because the reflection will still be produced by the outside of the glass. You need to disrupt the outside glass surface so it can't produce the reflection...either coating the surface with something or putting something in front of the window itself.

I've heard some people put a simple garden trellis in front of particularly bad windows when the sun angle seems to create the problem. It may be seasonal. Even though the glass behind the trellis still produces a reflection, birds sense the lattice openings are too small to fit through.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/w...lp-prevent-it/
Interesting.

My house while I was growing up had over 40 windows, and over half of them were floor to ceiling. Pyracanthas grew along one long side of the fence that went around our property. Birds would crash hard into three or four of the floor to ceiling windows and, with all of the ones I witnessed, the birds would die. We never had to clean them up. Deer, raccoons, or some such would take care of that. When I witnessed this, it was always the same three or four windows. I wonder if it was because of the particular reflection created in those windows.

Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Interesting.

My house while I was growing up had over 40 windows, and over half of them were floor to ceiling. Pyracanthas grew along one long side of the fence that went around our property. Birds would crash hard into three or four of the floor to ceiling windows and, with all of the ones I witnessed, the birds would die. We never had to clean them up. Deer, raccoons, or some such would take care of that. When I witnessed this, it was always the same three or four windows. I wonder if it was because of the particular reflection created in those windows.
Again, different windows may generate reflections at different times of year due to change in sun angle and degree of cloud cover. Also, IIRC pyracantha doesn't bear fruit all year, so when no flowers or berries are present the pattern of local bird activity may influence how prone they are to fly anywhere near those windows.

Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
This was installed on our new Library:

https://www.conveniencegroup.com/fea...ather-friendly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature