Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 05:30 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

This is really a sad picture...
Hermit crabs all over the world, which scavenge shells as armour for their bodies, are turning increasingly to plastic waste instead.
Now Instead of being adorned with a beautiful snail shell, they wear all kind of trash discarded by humans

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-68071695
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 12:56 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I'm all in favor of recycle, repurpose, reuse. So the hermit crabs are doing their part.

It's possible that the shells they actually want are getting to the point where they are in short supply. Lots of little critters are suffering from reducing populations.

Old 01-26-2024, 02:23 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Yeah - I understand it's not aesthetic, but it is very practical, maybe stronger than a shell, and a perfect example of adaptation.... and no snail had to die for it.

Old 01-26-2024, 02:48 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Out of the three pictures in the story, only one was wearing plastic.

Old 01-26-2024, 03:41 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Fashion statement!

Old 01-26-2024, 04:00 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This is really a sad picture...
Hermit crabs all over the world, which scavenge shells as armour for their bodies, are turning increasingly to plastic waste instead.
Now Instead of being adorned with a beautiful snail shell, they wear all kind of trash discarded by humans

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-68071695
Every plastic holder (not sure what else to call them) in our house, such as those that a six-pack of drinks together, has all the restrictions cut before hitting the garbage. Might be going overboard, but even the little plastic cups that come with various desserts get cut in half. None of this things is recyclable in my area, so they go in the garbage. It only takes a few seconds to cut them.

Old 01-26-2024, 04:59 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Yeah - I understand it's not aesthetic, but it is very practical, maybe stronger than a shell,
Especially considering increasing ocean acidification. It's murder on shells! Mollusks comprise the second largest animal phylum on earth; over 30,000 species.

Old 01-26-2024, 06:06 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
The article said the survey was based on pictures found on the Internet. I would think that people would be drawn to the novelty of plastic "shells" and take/post more pictures of them.

So the survey doesn't represent what's going on in the ocean, just the Internet.

Old 01-26-2024, 06:34 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
The article said the survey was based on pictures found on the Internet. I would think that people would be drawn to the novelty of plastic "shells" and take/post more pictures of them.

So the survey doesn't represent what's going on in the ocean, just the Internet.
Good eye - I didn't read the article!

That explains a lot... and looking at the pictures... how perfectly clear the water is and close up and well lit they are, I'm pretty sure they're taken in fish tanks.

Pet hermit crabs are very popular, and if I had one, I would probably leave all kinds of items for it to choose just for the fun and novelty of it. Maybe these were found in these items in the wild and taken home because of the novelty.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 01-26-2024 at 07:08 PM..

Old 01-26-2024, 07:31 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Good eye - I didn't read the article!

That explains a lot... and looking at the pictures... how perfectly clear the water is and close up and well lit they are, I'm pretty sure they're taken in fish tanks.

Pet hermit crabs are very popular, and if I had one, I would probably leave all kinds of items for it to choose just for the fun and novelty of it. Maybe these were found in these items in the wild and taken home because of the novelty.

Good grief.

The primary author is a postdoc biologist specializing in impact of global pollution crisis on birds. She has published similar work on manmade materials in bird nests. They geolocated many of the crab images to coastlines around the world.

As for it being "an adaptation" of actual benefit, its far more likely IMO to be an ecological trap that leads to poor outcomes, and/or literally change the course of evolution at their expense or the expense of other species.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature