Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 03:43 AM

8,993 posts, read 4,683,507 times

Advertisements

Picking up a 16 month old conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
There are a lot of trees from 4" in diameter to 24" diameter ones. I flagged some smaller dogwood trees to keep. This is our plan to let it grow back up once I get all of the old burned stuff out. I would see deer eating out of the ditches most of the time, so I want to replenish it. The ditches were clogged up with leaves, limbs and trees shaving when the power company came through. I did see a few deer a day or so after it was cleared, but I was seeing more than that before. I think this has to do with the dust layer on everything they eat from clearing the lot. I need some rain badly.
So, how is this project going?

I found this thread while looking for any thread discussing CWD, BTW.

I have been trying to rehabilitate (and civilize ) an area that was covered by something pretending to be virgin forest (was disrupted, then allowed to grow back "naturally" ).

I made a cut into the area to install a carport, and while I was at it, cleared almost a quarter acre of underbrush, tiny trees, briers and vines. Had a battle, for about four years, with Kudzu and Virginia Creeper. Now I am trying to build a foot path and establish some grass in a small area along one side of that.

I find that deer like leaves (but I am not sure which ones) more than they like grass, btw.

Last edited by TRex2; 01-03-2024 at 03:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2024, 08:00 AM

12,519 posts, read 9,606,846 times
When I was reading about food plots for deer, the things that were mentioned the most seemed to be clover, cowpeas and winter-hardy oats. Apparently very healthy for them - high in protein - and they like as well.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:17 AM

19,818 posts, read 22,716,553 times
Alfalfa is whitetail crack here. River bottom growth as well.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:38 AM

2,721 posts, read 2,225,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Picking up a 16 month old conversation.

So, how is this project going?

I found this thread while looking for any thread discussing CWD, BTW.

I have been trying to rehabilitate (and civilize ) an area that was covered by something pretending to be virgin forest (was disrupted, then allowed to grow back "naturally" ).

I made a cut into the area to install a carport, and while I was at it, cleared almost a quarter acre of underbrush, tiny trees, briers and vines. Had a battle, for about four years, with Kudzu and Virginia Creeper. Now I am trying to build a foot path and establish some grass in a small area along one side of that.

I find that deer like leaves (but I am not sure which ones) more than they like grass, btw.
I have been letting it grow back naturally. I had been putting corn out which the deer has been coming for. Once the last house gets finished building I expect the deer will come back more. I had four houses at one time being built around me. Someone suggested a salt block, but they weigh 50 lbs and my back can't handle that. I did see six the other day in my lot eating corn.

Old 01-03-2024, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I have been letting it grow back naturally. I had been putting corn out which the deer has been coming for. Once the last house gets finished building I expect the deer will come back more. I had four houses at one time being built around me. Someone suggested a salt block, but they weigh 50 lbs and my back can't handle that. I did see six the other day in my lot eating corn.
What grew back, here, was stuff no one wants to grow here, thus, my fight with "nature." (Some of it is invasive species.)

Deer seem to be creatures of habit so, once they get used to coming around, clover should work well, here. I don't think cowpeas will thrive in our environment (too wet, soil too rich, etc). I have some sort of tree, here, that they seem to like. I don't know what it is called, but it comes up every six to 12 inches and spreads underground. (The locals say it is all the same tree.) Stays green all winter. The deer also like kudzu, but not as much as other stuff, and I ain't about to encourage that stuff.

CWD is endemic, where you are, so, while you may want to keep a few deer coming around, I suggest you don't over do it too much. There is a map of where it is endemic. The cluster of counties in AR has doubled in the past five years
https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/di...orth-america-0

Old 01-03-2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
What grew back, here, was stuff no one wants to grow here, thus, my fight with "nature." (Some of it is invasive species.)

Deer seem to be creatures of habit so, once they get used to coming around, clover should work well, here. I don't think cowpeas will thrive in our environment (too wet, soil too rich, etc). I have some sort of tree, here, that they seem to like. I don't know what it is called, but it comes up every six to 12 inches and spreads underground. (The locals say it is all the same tree.) Stays green all winter. The deer also like kudzu, but not as much as other stuff, and I ain't about to encourage that stuff.

CWD is endemic, where you are, so, while you may want to keep a few deer coming around, I suggest you don't over do it too much. There is a map of where it is endemic. The cluster of counties in AR has doubled in the past five years
https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/di...orth-america-0
That tree that spreads by rhizome (underground) does it look like Ailanthus altissima (tree of heaven)?

Old 01-03-2024, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That tree that spreads by rhizome (underground) does it look like Ailanthus altissima (tree of heaven)?
Well, I have a policy: if there is bad news, I need to hear it.

Otherwise, I would have preferred not knowing what it was.

Other than being a lot smaller than the pictures online, it pretty much looks right.

Old 01-03-2024, 03:38 PM

I’m not going to be the bearer of bad news, but you should verify the plant. Tree of heaven looks like some native sumacs, black walnut etc. Tree of heaven excels at aggressive growth in disturbed sites. Roadways, previously cut timber areas.

I had a severe infestation of them at our first house in WV. It took years to get it under control and even then every year I was pulling new growth that would pop up.

They secrete a toxin in the soil that inhibit other plant growth, they are extremely weak trees and will snap in brisk storms and they are a #1 attraction for the invasive spotted lantern fly that is ravaging some forests. Also be cautious handling sap and burning this trash tree. I found out the hard way some folks have a severe reaction to the sap. My lungs were a wreck for a while after I torched a huge pile of this mess.

Old 01-03-2024, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I’m not going to be the bearer of bad news, but you should verify the plant. Tree of heaven looks like some native sumacs, black walnut etc. Tree of heaven excels at aggressive growth in disturbed sites. Roadways, previously cut timber areas.

I had a severe infestation of them at our first house in WV. It took years to get it under control and even then every year I was pulling new growth that would pop up.

They secrete a toxin in the soil that inhibit other plant growth, they are extremely weak trees and will snap in brisk storms and they are a #1 attraction for the invasive spotted lantern fly that is ravaging some forests. Also be cautious handling sap and burning this trash tree. I found out the hard way some folks have a severe reaction to the sap. My lungs were a wreck for a while after I torched a huge pile of this mess.
Ok. I will have it checked out, by someone who knows trees.

That line:
"secrete a toxin in the soil that inhibit other plant growth"
may explain some of the problem I am having under and down hill from it.

Thankfully, I don't seem to be vulnerable to its sap. (Nor am I vulnerable to pine or creosote, but I am vulnerable to a dozen other things) I have cut and burned all of the low hanging limbs from that stuff, and just have the trunks and higher areas to deal with.

Ironically, the Kudzu seems to keep it in check

Old 01-20-2024, 01:03 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Quote:

In addition to its other noxious qualities, Tree of Heaven does secrete allelopathic compounds that inhibit other plants. It's a way of eliminating competition for soil nutrients, water, light which allows it to take over that much more easily. Unfortunately, that creates a major problem for someone trying to reestablish other plants beneficial to wildlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature