Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 08:09 AM

7,235 posts, read 5,114,062 times

Advertisements

Usually goldfinches are regular customers at our feeders, often numbering as many as 2 dz appearing at a time. The feeders are rarely devoid of at least a few munchng away at the oil seeds, all year long...Until this year. For the past 3 months visits by goldfinches are only occassonal, and only one or two individuals at a time.

We're rural, so land use has not changed at all, and weather has been average...I have noticed that oriole populations are up a little and cat birds are much more frequntly seen than in previous yrs. We're in Brood XIII, so we have no cicadas to speak of to affect food availability.

Is this a local phenomenon to our area (s/Cen WI) or are other birdwatchers seeing this too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 08:27 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,801 times
There is a nationwide salmonella outbreak that is killing birds at bird feeders

https://abc7news.com/songbirds-salmo...down/10411174/

https://www.swnewsmedia.com/shakopee...;s%20droppings.

I've found three dead goldfinches in my yard this year and I don't even have a bird feeder!

Old 08-09-2021, 04:59 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times
Here in southern New England, we have noticed fewer goldfinches whenever there are more purple finches and house finches. The goldfinches seem to be more timid. Maybe they respond the same to the increased number of orioles and cat birds ect.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:01 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Here in NJ, we have definitely noticed a decrease in the number of goldfinches we are seeing the last few years. It makes me sad, because they are so gorgeous. I did see a male ripping petals off my zinnias to get to the fresh seeds the other day; I always find that so endearing.

Old 08-11-2021, 03:38 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
There is a nationwide salmonella outbreak that is killing birds at bird feeders

https://abc7news.com/songbirds-salmo...down/10411174/

https://www.swnewsmedia.com/shakopee...;s%20droppings.

I've found three dead goldfinches in my yard this year and I don't even have a bird feeder!
In our area we were advised to remove our bird feeders until the outbreak is over.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:10 AM

Other birds are not seen in lower number, I'll discount disease....Other birds are not so greatly increased that competion would be a problem....but both are good suggestions...Land use changes (more building/ess natural habitiat) may explain this for you urban/suburbanites.

I did a little web search and found that all sorts of finches are subject to fairly wide natural population swings
evry few years. We were higher recently. We're down now. (I hope this is the reason.)

The 17 yr cicada and the periodic lemmings' March to the Sea (does that really happen?) are more extreme examples of a common natural phenomenon.

Population dynamics are an amazing study and anyone interested in the environment should familiarize themselves with the subject-- It could save a lot of needless hand wringing and money wasted on non problems....Look up N-K Population Model.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:34 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times
I have been seeing 3 to 5 finches a day drinking water from the bird bath. I have been replacing the water daily to give them cooler water. It is very hot and dry here right now.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:38 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
May I ask a goldfinch question of the goldfinch experts? I know the male goldfinches with their bright yellow, black cap and pinkish beak but have you ever seen a female or a male goldfinch with a grey beak (and no black cap)? I'm starting to think it might be a juvenile male. It's also not as dull as the females usually are but it's not as bright as the males usually are, either. No streaking. Black wings with white bars. I have a good photo of it which I can post if you are as puzzled as I am about the grey beak. It was taken in Delaware on June 11, 2020 if that helps. This is not the time of year I usually see them but with Covid and all, I had to wait for the Delaware governor to lift the out-of-state quarantine in 2020 so instead of end of April/early May, I was there in June.

I do not have a backyard but I have seen less goldfinches this year than usual when I'm out photographing butterflies in Tennessee. I've seen less butterflies, too, but that's another story.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:49 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
May I ask a goldfinch question of the goldfinch experts? I know the male goldfinches with their bright yellow, black cap and pinkish beak but have you ever seen a female or a male goldfinch with a grey beak (and no black cap)? I'm starting to think it might be a juvenile male. It's also not as dull as the females usually are but it's not as bright as the males usually are, either. No streaking. Black wings with white bars. I have a good photo of it which I can post if you are as puzzled as I am about the grey beak. It was taken in Delaware on June 11, 2020 if that helps. This is not the time of year I usually see them but with Covid and all, I had to wait for the Delaware governor to lift the out-of-state quarantine in 2020 so instead of end of April/early May, I was there in June.

I do not have a backyard but I have seen less goldfinches this year than usual when I'm out photographing butterflies in Tennessee. I've seen less butterflies, too, but that's another story.
Like this?

https://www.nkytribune.com/2018/06/a...hen-in-spring/

Old 09-01-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Your non-typical specimen was probably a juvenile, but maybe just a non-typical adult-- kinda like a 7ft tall human is not typical of the species. but does occur in a small percentage of individuals....The very word "typical" means "pertaining to the type."..In taxonomy, the "type specimen" is one selected for it's average characteristics, and it is the representative that all other specimens are measured/compared to.

In regards your comment about butterfly numbers, I've seen the opposite here-- but that may be due to a local change in habitat. I have a half dozen volunteer colonies of milkweeds that grow around my meadow. This year, a new colony popped up in a space that gets shade for half the day, and the grey hairstreaks, great spangle fritillaries and monarchs absolutely swarmed those plants, greatly favoring them to nearby stands in the full sun. ....Habitat availability is the most important factor in maintaining natural populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature