Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 02:53 PM

815 posts, read 2,017,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
I can't think of anything too noteworthy that hasn't already been mentioned besides Fountain Square in the now metro center area. Our family would watch movies there sometimes. And like all people my age I sorely miss Opryland :-(
Oh yeah, I forgot about Fountain Square, yet another mall no longer here, and the theater. I thought it was so cool that they had a lake at that mall, like were were in California or smtn, LOL.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 05:53 PM

22 posts, read 78,862 times
I too, have lots of memories of the wonderful old Nashville. However, I moved out of staid old Donelson about 5 yrs ago because of crime. Take a look at the arrests in the last 7 days in another thread provided by Channel 5. It is certainly a shame what has happened to Nashville.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 AM

694 posts, read 745,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
I wasn't born until '84 but I am SO enjoying this thread! I hope others can contribute their trips down memory lane about Nashville.

Courtney
I remember shopping at Hickory Hollow Mall (HHM) with my parents. I was 10 when the mall opened in 1978. For years there were only three wings. The wing where Dillards was (which was originally Castner Knot) was built later.

I shopped there until I got married in 2003. With all the new shopping and other stuff in the Smyrna/Murfreesboro area of Rutherford Co. (where I live and have lived since 1976), aside from visiting family in the Antioch area of Nashville, I have no reason to go there any more. I still go to HHM sometimes to see what changes have been made. I can't believe it is over 30 years old now and that I am more than 40 now. I know I am going back only about 35 years, but with everyone seeming to be under 25 now with no concept what old is, it seems long ago.

Charles

Last edited by cpsTN; 04-15-2010 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: spelling and grammer

Old 09-29-2010, 12:57 AM

76 posts, read 222,669 times
I am glad I found this site. I am a Nashville native that has moved away to the Chicago Area, but when I visit the city, I also find myself thinking about my old memories of Nashville.

I agree with others that also stated that it seemed like there used to be more stuff for kids to do as a kid growing up in the burbs (Donelson & Antioch), even though the city was not as big as it is now. I am not completely sure that all of Nashville's growth has been for the better. I drive around my old neighborhoods on occasion and it just saddens me to see what they have become.

I do have a couple of personal memeories of a place that I did not see mentioned while scanning the posts....Does anyone ever remember going to Fair Park on Nolensville Rd, or eating at Darrell's Resurant off of Harding Place, or shopping at Service Merchandise? I do miss Castne Knott as well, I wrote my first check at that store.

I also remember skipping school and my favorite thing to do was play in the HH Mall arcade....which btw it is so sad to see how that mall has regressed. : (

I was reading memories about Harding Mall, I had so much fun playing and scaring my parents on that bridge over the creek when we would get ice cream at the Harding Mall Baskin Robins.

How many 103 KDF Rock and Y107 fans are there still around? I so miss KDF Rock, the day KDF went country was a sad day

Speaking of high school, does anyone completely remember the AHS alma mater from the old Antioch on Blue Hole Rd? I remember it started out something like this......On the city's southern border reared against the sky, proudly stands our alma mater as the years pass/go by....it would be awesome if someone else actually remembers it and they can refresh my memory! I know I am a dork....

It would also be nice to see if some arrangement can be made to bring back a theme park to where Opry Mills is and find some way to intice some of the stores that were in Opry Mill's to consider bringing some life back into HH.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:07 AM

597 posts, read 2,108,077 times
Ratdude, welcome. You mention KDF. I have a feeling I'm a quite a bit older (almost as old as groov), but I remember when having the round KDF sticker was a must have on the back of the car to prove your coolness. Of course, I was cool anyway in my VW bug with the 8-track player hidden handily inside the glove box to prevent theft. Then, there was the sexy-voiced Jenny Fox-guess she moved me for me to remember. But, radio and the songs played are definitely the keys to being transported into another time, another Nashville, and another, purer life. This one's fine, but I sure would like to spend a week in 1970 again.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:01 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,468,665 times
Honestly, I saw a vintage KDF sticker on a 1970s car a few weeks back. I haven't seen one of those in years.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdude View Post
I am glad I found this site. I am a Nashville native that has moved away to the Chicago Area, but when I visit the city, I also find myself thinking about my old memories of Nashville.

I agree with others that also stated that it seemed like there used to be more stuff for kids to do as a kid growing up in the burbs (Donelson & Antioch), even though the city was not as big as it is now. I am not completely sure that all of Nashville's growth has been for the better. I drive around my old neighborhoods on occasion and it just saddens me to see what they have become.

I do have a couple of personal memeories of a place that I did not see mentioned while scanning the posts....Does anyone ever remember going to Fair Park on Nolensville Rd, or eating at Darrell's Resurant off of Harding Place, or shopping at Service Merchandise? I do miss Castne Knott as well, I wrote my first check at that store.

I also remember skipping school and my favorite thing to do was play in the HH Mall arcade....which btw it is so sad to see how that mall has regressed. : (

I was reading memories about Harding Mall, I had so much fun playing and scaring my parents on that bridge over the creek when we would get ice cream at the Harding Mall Baskin Robins.

How many 103 KDF Rock and Y107 fans are there still around? I so miss KDF Rock, the day KDF went country was a sad day

Speaking of high school, does anyone completely remember the AHS alma mater from the old Antioch on Blue Hole Rd? I remember it started out something like this......On the city's southern border reared against the sky, proudly stands our alma mater as the years pass/go by....it would be awesome if someone else actually remembers it and they can refresh my memory! I know I am a dork....

It would also be nice to see if some arrangement can be made to bring back a theme park to where Opry Mills is and find some way to intice some of the stores that were in Opry Mill's to consider bringing some life back into HH.
Good to see this topic brought back up! The Hickory Hollow/Antioch area is currently undergoing revitilization, even with help from the Mayor, and other improvement projects that are have already ongoing for the area, so that area is doing well, inspite of the negative comments by people on here.
http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=13133790

But as far as memories, you man can find the AHS alma matter on the mnps website, www.mmps.org, click on alumni, and it will guide you to schools aluni sites, including the schools that are closed, such as Cameron High, Dupont High, Madison High, etc. as well as the current high schools.

I feel that the city would still have the memories of the past if it would trully work like a Metropolitian city. No offense to those living in Hendersonville, Franklin, Mt. Juliet, Mufreesboro, and other areas in the surrounding areas of the city of Nashville, but if those local goverments would work together, rather than seperatly, and build on what the city of Nashville already has in place, connect and make one big city. No area should ever be neglected due to newer developments, especially outside of Davidson County. There is no reason why all of the original Nashville malls should not be still around and thriving, Harding, Donelson Plaza, Bellvue, Madison Plaza, Church Street Center, Fountain Square etc.
By the way, you will really only have memories of Fair Park now because the entire fair ended last weekend, forever. No longer does Nashville have a state fair, another loss for the city...

Last edited by Antioch; 09-29-2010 at 10:42 AM..

Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 AM

Still loving this topic... Since it is close to Halloween, remember some of the old Haunted Houses? I've only been to like 2 since 1993, but I know they are pretty popular during this season. Horror High, where Donelson Middle School currently stands, Haunted Castle on Mboro rd in old Chucky Cheese building next to old New Orleans Mannor, Haunted Prison, Harding Place where CCA is now. Any others that are no longer around?
I may have metioned this already in the original post ,but remember the skating rinks? We had Charolette, Harding Place, Hickory Hollow and Donelson, all gone now...
Remember the old, "All Brick" General Hospital?
What about Central State, where Dell is now?
Remember the pretty white mansion that used to sit where the Nashboro Village Kroger is?

Old 09-30-2010, 10:30 AM

23 posts, read 59,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Remember the pretty white mansion that used to sit where the Nashboro Village Kroger is?
it's still there, it's just behind the kroger and it's in terrible shape.

eric b

Old 09-30-2010, 11:05 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I feel that the city would still have the memories of the past if it would trully work like a Metropolitian city. No offense to those living in Hendersonville, Franklin, Mt. Juliet, Mufreesboro, and other areas in the surrounding areas of the city of Nashville, but if those local goverments would work together, rather than seperatly, and build on what the city of Nashville already has in place, connect and make one big city. No area should ever be neglected due to newer developments, especially outside of Davidson County. There is no reason why all of the original Nashville malls should not be still around and thriving, Harding, Donelson Plaza, Bellvue, Madison Plaza, Church Street Center, Fountain Square etc.
The reason so many of those areas in Davidson County have declined is too much government dependency. The reason the surrounding areas have fluorished is that the government for the most part stays out of the way and leaves it up to the people and businesses to succeed.

It certainly isn't up to the city government in Hendersonville or Franklin to restore what Davidson County has let go to pot. Why don't you seek help from Krazy Karl Dean, when he isn't busy spending $600M in taxpayer money to have an unnecessary convention center built by illegal aliens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville