Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 06:58 AM

864 posts, read 790,314 times

Advertisements

Flynn did Westerns and his portrayal of Custer was good…..again, movie star not actor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 07:23 AM

23,541 posts, read 44,230,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Did Errol Flynn do much other than play the swashbuckler? I mean, wasn't he just about as typecast as, say, Boris Karloff was in horror movies?
Yes, he was...and taking roles 'out of type' never seemed to work for him.

Case in point: His turn as Soames Forsyte in That Forsyte Woman. Those who have read The Forsyte Saga know Soames to be a selfish, grasping bully who repulses his wife and becomes a cuckold. I actually thought Flynn gave a good performance, but who's gonna buy into him playing such a character? His sexual charisma bled right through the screen. What's more, why would Greer Garson throw Flynn over for goody two-shoes Robert Young? I didn't buy it; I doubt audiences did, either.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041955...hat%2520forsyt

Old 05-14-2024, 10:51 AM

51,055 posts, read 24,563,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But there are actors like, I don't know, Cate Blanchett or Toni Collette or even DiCaprio, who disappear into their characters. As opposed to Jack Nicholson, who is Jack Nicholson in every movie.
Odd, because both Cate Blanchett and Leo are 2 actors I thought of as essentially playing themselves, despite the character.

Old 05-14-2024, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Odd, because both Cate Blanchett and Leo are 2 actors I thought of as essentially playing themselves, despite the character.
Really? I think DiCaprio has remarkable range. Blanchett, too, although I thought she fell flat on her face as a southern-fried assassin in Hanna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FZhay89968

Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM

7,400 posts, read 12,723,826 times
The list is extremely subjective and biased. Box office hits do not equate neither popularity of individual actors or talent. What about Gary Cooper, who was consistently popular, even beloved, from the 1930 to the 1950s? And with a considerable talent in front of the movie camera. And Tyrone Power who was the biggest box office draw in his day? And who did have a versatility that Flynn may not have had--watch the original Nightmare Alley!

Aside from the list being really weird, Flynn was of course a major feature in Golden Age Hollywood, and his range actually shows in The Sun Also Rises, a cynical, sad, great performance.

Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

18,552 posts, read 18,836,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
The list is extremely subjective and biased. Box office hits do not equate neither popularity of individual actors or talent. What about Gary Cooper, who was consistently popular, even beloved, from the 1930 to the 1950s? And with a considerable talent in front of the movie camera. And Tyrone Power who was the biggest box office draw in his day? And who did have a versatility that Flynn may not have had--watch the original Nightmare Alley!

Aside from the list being really weird, Flynn was of course a major feature in Golden Age Hollywood, and his range actually shows in The Sun Also Rises, a cynical, sad, great performance.
Talking about Cooper and Power...didnt they both look much older than their ages when they died... as did Flynn...Cooper died age 60.... Flynn 50 and Tyrone Power..a very young 44...

Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM

7,400 posts, read 12,723,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Talking about Cooper and Power...didnt they both look much older than their ages when they died... as did Flynn...Cooper died age 60.... Flynn 50 and Tyrone Power..a very young 44...
Like they say, It isn't the years, it's the miles...Isn't that actually a movie quote?

Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

51,055 posts, read 24,563,121 times
Quote:

Yes, in fact I just bought a DVD of "Nightmare Alley" -- a superb performance by Tyrone Power.

I bet you'll agree that pretty much all analyses of categories like best movie, best actor, best actress are, at best, highly "subjective and biased".

Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Like they say, It isn't the years, it's the miles...Isn't that actually a movie quote?
Yes, it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi_rKaNMGlY

Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM

897 posts, read 636,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I remember the international furor that erupted over a World War II film he starred in called Operation Burma. It centered on an American commando unit deployed to Japanese controlled Burma to destroy a radar installation. The British banned the film saying it underplayed their own role as a combat force in Burma.

Flynn had a son named Sean who was a freelance combat reporter during the Vietnam War. He was stationed in Saigon. A good looking guy who inherited his Dads good looks and charisma. Like his Dad he was a charming guy who attracted the ladies. In this case the local bar girls. Sean went out on a motorcycle to cover a combat operation in Cambodia and disappeared. To this day it remains a mystery.
Sean Flynn's mother was French born actress Lili Damita. She was Errol Flynn's first wife.

After Sean and a fellow journalist went missing in Cambodia in 1970, Damita spent a large amount of money searching for her son. He was never found and she had Sean declared legally dead in the mid 1980s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies