Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 03:44 PM

3,105 posts, read 2,006,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Thank you!

Yeah August: Osage County makes you thankful for your family (assuming you have one better than theirs).

I just realized I called it 'surgery' but it was a skin cancer excision. Unfortunately it turned out to be larger than expected and what I thought was going to be a quickie jump-back-into-life thing has wound up putting me down pretty hard. It's over 3" long and at my neckline so I can't even drive because turning my head pulls the stitches. Wasn't expecting that! I'm getting to work from home though so it's not all bad
An excision procedure is still surgery. It's trauma in situ. I had something similar a few times (one was Mohs, which is a very successful surgery) & recovered quickly & fully each time. You will, too. Sorry you have to go through it but glad they caught it in time. In the meantime, enjoy your movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 04:24 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Quote:
Just thought of another one. Lost in Translation with Scarlett Johanssen and Bill Murray.

I've been doing a movie-thon all weekend after surgery where I'll watch one, then pick one of the actors and watch another movie they are in. It's been all over the place.

I'm watching The Horse Whisperer now, landed here from August: Osage County and followed Chris Cooper. Lost In Translation will be next.
Let us know what you think of Lost in Translation! I couldn't finish it. Can't understand what all the hype was about.

Old 04-22-2024, 04:32 PM

7,602 posts, read 3,260,039 times
Quote:
Thank you!

Yeah August: Osage County makes you thankful for your family (assuming you have one better than theirs).

I just realized I called it 'surgery' but it was a skin cancer excision. Unfortunately it turned out to be larger than expected and what I thought was going to be a quickie jump-back-into-life thing has wound up putting me down pretty hard. It's over 3" long and at my neckline so I can't even drive because turning my head pulls the stitches. Wasn't expecting that! I'm getting to work from home though so it's not all bad

Yes, makes you feel your own family was a Lot less dysfunctional -- LOL

Old 04-23-2024, 06:16 AM

1,921 posts, read 908,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Let us know what you think of Lost in Translation! I couldn't finish it. Can't understand what all the hype was about.

I've watched it several times. It's not for everyone, that's for sure.

St. Vincent was the last movie I watched last night and it was wonderful.

Old 04-23-2024, 06:17 AM

1,921 posts, read 908,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Yes, makes you feel your own family was a Lot less dysfunctional -- LOL

Well for starters our dad didn't commit suicide to get away from his abusive addict of a wife.

Old 04-23-2024, 06:18 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Did anyone mention "Pig" with Nicholas Cage?
I wasn't really expecting much but it turned out to be a great movie. IMO

Old 04-23-2024, 06:19 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
FYI, for anyone who liked "Sleepers" (and I did, too), you should see "Mystic River" if you haven't already done so. GREAT cast!

Also, same style (but different theme) and also excellent is "Gone, Baby, Gone" (not be be confused with "Gone Girl").
Both Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone are excellent.
Both by Dennis LeHane.

Old 04-23-2024, 10:27 AM

16,604 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
My personal favorite movie that nobody seems to have ever heard of is Catch and Release with Jennifer Garner, Timothy Olyphant, Juliette Lewis, Kevin Smith, and Sam Jaeger, among others. It's no Academy award-winner, but it's got a good plot and while it starts out sad, it's a great romantic comedy.

Totally agree on Silkwood. Cher, Meryl Streep, Kurt Russell...it wasn't exactly a sleeper, though; it got Oscar nods.

I'll be taking notes on some others here. Been looking for some new movies.
I use to think getting an Oscar or even a nomination was based on merit, and at times it has, but Silkwood was a political movie, and regardless of what you may think of it (I didn't care for it because of the aforementioned), many a nomination is given based on ideological reasons. That will become even more so with the new diversity rules implemented to be eligible to be nominated.

To the OP, I reluctantly just watched The Holdovers, and was pleasantly surprised.

I was also coerced into watching a chick flick that turned out to be pretty good, that being Water For Elephants, which I had never even heard of, so it should classify as a sleeper;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFD8RTaiGh8

Old 04-23-2024, 10:58 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,527,673 times
I rented this On Demand, because the trailer looked good, and it was a truly wonderful and engrossing film. Hunt for the Wilderpeople:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4698684/

Set in New Zealand, a little boy (10 or so) is adopted by a rural couple, a wonderful woman and grumpy man. Mom dies early on, little boy runs off into the forest, and grumpy old man goes in to get him, setting the stage for a suspenseful, scary, happy, and exhilarating adventure that changes both their lives.

Sam Neil is the only person you'll recognize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies