Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 09:30 AM

29,608 posts, read 16,586,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
He's awesome, I thought he did a great job in another apocalyptic series "The last of us" , he played a prepper guy that survived on his own.
We agree, its just not having the beard threw me off, LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 12:38 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,562,088 times
Saw it last night on a whim because the schedule lined up perfectly; had no expectations whatsoever and really enjoyed it. Definitely see this in a theater if you can because the sound editing is amazing.

Very intense, hard to take your eyes off the screen for the duration and some moments of sheer terror that reminded me of The Road. The urban warfare in DC was unsettling. And some really good needle drops.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:02 PM

1,555 posts, read 877,725 times
Saw in at an "Stars and Strollers" event with slightly muffled volume and lots of crying babies.

Old 04-18-2024, 06:00 AM

26,763 posts, read 26,869,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I checked out a few of the review sites, reading at least 24 individual reviews, and generally speaking, leftists like it and righties don't.
It doesn't sound as if that was Garland's intention.

“There’s a lot of films that tell everything to everyone and make everything completely digestible. I’m not particularly interested in doing it because it feels oppositional to engagement. ‘Left vs. right’ closes down the conversation. That is the problem with polarization.”

https://time.com/6960838/civil-war-i...-garland-cast/

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what it does at the box office
‘Civil War’ launches with $30m at global box office:
https://www.screendaily.com/news/civ...192412.article

Old 04-19-2024, 09:02 AM

2,987 posts, read 1,755,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
He's awesome, I thought he did a great job in another apocalyptic series "The last of us" , he played a prepper guy that survived on his own.
Don't forget, he had his big, hairy boyfriend to survive with.

Old 04-22-2024, 11:32 AM

29,561 posts, read 14,701,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
Don't forget, he had his big, hairy boyfriend to survive with.
Someone has to make the sandwiches, and do the dishes...

Old 04-23-2024, 05:27 AM

6,154 posts, read 3,372,943 times
I don’t usually go to watch movies, but I happened to have free time and was nearby the theater, and the timing was right.

I wouldn’t say this movie was good or bad. 5 out of 10 is about right.

Is this movie worth your time? Not really, unless you have some time to kill.

But after watching it, I was left with this main thought:

What was the point of it all?

If I was to write a statement on what this movie is about, here is what I would write:

There is a Civil War going on in the US. Period. End of discussion.

Again, I don’t see the point of this movie at all.

But I guess if they did an actual movie that really tackled the issues, right vs left, that might incite real violence.

This is probably a topic to tread lightly on, because even though the establishment wants us divided, they definitely don’t want us fighting each other.

So we are left with this movie that doesn’t really even get into the why.

Old 04-24-2024, 06:40 PM

10,368 posts, read 8,006,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
If I was to write a statement on what this movie is about, here is what I would write:

There is a Civil War going on in the US. Period. End of discussion.
A comment I read elsewhere made a good point: In addition to showing the realities of what a civil war in the US would really look like, the movie is about the ethics of photojournalism (particularly whether it's truly right to just observe as opposed to trying to intervene), and what decades of doing that job does to a person's soul.

Old 04-25-2024, 06:58 AM

32,120 posts, read 34,781,879 times
This movie is not that great. Not because they don't fill us in on the causes of the war. The zombie apocalypse genre is notorious for not giving much backstory yet it still has some semi-decent movies and TV shows. The problem with CIVIL WAR is a thin plot. It's a story of four well-known archetypes in cinema--the old fount of wisdom, the fun guy, the cynical veteran and the bright-eyed and bushy-tailed young gunner--taking a cross-Mid Atlantic journey to interview the President. In between skirmishes here and there, and a very predictable dangerous encounter along the way, there are more quiet stretches full of dialogue that don't provide us much information about the characters or the United States of America they inhabit. That's the movie in a nutshell.

The ending almost made me burst out laughing. It was so cheesy and predictable.

The sound engineering, as noted already, is incredible.

It's also weird to see some of these Millennials like Kirsten Dunst and Amanda Seyfried morph into middle aged-actresses taking on roles with more gravitas. That's life, I suppose.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:10 AM

32,120 posts, read 34,781,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Yea. the person who wrote/directed the movie explained why he had California and Texas team up. He said they are the 2 largest and most independent states by overall infrastructure. Both could have ideological differences with the federal government and still be ok. And that both could have those differences and still think the president killing Americans is wrong and team up .
And I guess we have to ride with that explanation even though that scenario is 10,000,000% implausible.

I don't think true ideological differences would ever be a cause of a second American Civil War because people simply don't care that much. So, you have a problem with federal government overreach, eh? Okay, so are you willing to forego vacations, college football, summer BBQs, have your house blown up, have your kids miss 3 years of school, etc.? Americans are way too selfish and way too comfortable for something like this to happen despite some of the big talk on the internet. When people start thinking about the costs in a very real way, virtually no one would be willing to go through with it.

Now if you made a movie about our current political climate coupled with a much deeper and prolonged Great Recession 2.0 and vast infrastructure failure (going 2 weeks at a time without electricity), then that might be somewhat believable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies