Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 07:43 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,149,366 times

Advertisements

I have been watching "How Disney Built America" on the History Channel. It was very interesting. It showed how tough it was to get "Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs" made. When it finally was released, it did exceptional business. That got me thinking about the many times I ran rereleases of so many of the Disney animated films. We always did extremely well with all of them. I remember the last time I ran "Song Of The South" in the late 80s. The audiences loved it. Now in this politically correct world, that was the last time it was made available to theatres, and it never was even available on VHS or DVD! It was a masterpiece in so many ways, including blending live action with animation. The song "Zip A Dee Doo Dah" won the Academy Award for best song. That movie wasn't even mentioned when they listed the hit animated movies that came from Disney.

I think it's a shame that my kids were the last generation to be able to see and enjoy "Song Of The South".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:58 AM

4,581 posts, read 5,458,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Theater memories

There once was a time when a movie theater had one screen. What you watched depended on what was available that day and time. You didn’t walk up to select from multiple movies to see. You looked at the newspaper or called the theater on the telephone to find out what was being shown and the time of the showing. On the premiere of a major film people would wait in line outside the theater patiently awaiting the opening of the ticket office. Those same people would get in line for snacks and drinks before taking their seats. When the lights dimmed, conversations died down so we could all be silent and enjoy the movie together.
Those were the days. Some of my fondest move theater memories were when I was a kid. I remember waiting in a long line at the Mann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood to see Superman with my mom aunt and cousins. It was an epic experience for a little kid like me. Also remember mom taking me and some of my cousins to see a re-release of Disney's Phantasia at the old Hollywood Cinerama Dome.

As I got older, movie theater memories became even more cool. I remember sneaking out of middle school to the local theater in Tarzana with my friends to see (I think) was the Breakfast Club and seeing both Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen sitting behind us (they lived in the same neighborhood). Remember in high school the first movie I went to after getting my license as "Full Metal Jacket" at the old Old Towne mall theater in Torrance. Was sooo much fun.

Going to movies now just doesnt have the same magic as it did back in the "old days". Maybe its because movies arent as grand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies