Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 11:36 AM

10,830 posts, read 4,377,931 times

Advertisements

Interesting, the star of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, has been cast Lois Lane.

I like the approach they are taking with this Superman Legacy, because looks like they are showing how dark the world is, while showing how bright and pure Superman is.
That's exactly what I've always asked for.
Whereas "Man Of Steel" had no Superman, because Henry Cavill was too wooden and his character was too dark, soulless and relatively arrogant when compared to Reeve and Routh.
Best to show a contrast between Superman and everyone else, not to make him "fit-in".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2023, 11:47 AM

22,938 posts, read 28,322,594 times
I don't know anything about David Corenswet, but he looks the part. Rachel Brosnahan is perfect casting. I can't imagine a better Lois Lane.

I didn't care much for MAN OF STEEL either, but I didn't fault Henry Cavill. The probelm was all in the writing. People want to see a dark and angsty Superman like they want to see Batman in a tutu.

Old 07-08-2023, 12:14 PM

506 posts, read 201,767 times
James Gunn's Superman: Legacy, or, How Krypton Learned to Embrace Toilet Humor

I have little to no confidence in the man delivering a quality Superman film after The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker.

Old 07-09-2023, 12:41 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,993,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiffuseGlow View Post
James Gunn's Superman: Legacy, or, How Krypton Learned to Embrace Toilet Humor

I have little to no confidence in the man delivering a quality Superman film after The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker.
Yeh it will be a campy comedy

Old 07-09-2023, 08:21 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,154,102 times
He looks the part. Henry will be missed though. I loved the darker, grittier story in Man of Steel and hope they keep that vibe.

Old 07-09-2023, 08:54 AM

Cavill throwing a guys truck into a tree all because he patted some woman on the butt, the dumbest scene in the history of Superman.
Cavill was never Superman, just some arrogant jerkoff in active gear.
His face and tone of voice was always way off, the opposite of humble/pure.
I wanted Zod to decapitate the Man Of Steel.

Old 07-09-2023, 08:59 AM

20,731 posts, read 4,480,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Interesting, the star of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, has been cast Lois Lane.

I like the approach they are taking with this Superman Legacy, because looks like they are showing how dark the world is, while showing how bright and pure Superman is.
That's exactly what I've always asked for.
Whereas "Man Of Steel" had no Superman, because Henry Cavill was too wooden and his character was too dark, soulless and relatively arrogant when compared to Reeve and Routh.
Best to show a contrast between Superman and everyone else, not to make him "fit-in".

Poor Routh didn't even have a chance to be his "own" Superman. All his lines where taken from the Reeve
movies. He had nothing original to say.

Old 07-09-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Cavill throwing a guys truck into a tree all because he patted some woman on the butt, the dumbest scene in the history of Superman.
Cavill was never Superman, just some arrogant jerkoff in active gear.
His face and tone of voice was always way off, the opposite of humble/pure.
I wanted Zod to decapitate the Man Of Steel.
One does not merely emerge from their pod as a Superman. The film was about Clark Kent "becoming the" Superman, and the 1978 film was no different.

If you want to mince about Clark being a bully, look the 1980 sequel where a fully repowered Clark returns to the diner to settle the score with the trucker. While he does apologize to the owner afterward, he lets the trucker break his hand on him (it's akin to punching a concrete wall, no doubt).

"Gee, that's funny. I've never seen garbage eat garbage before!"

Either way you look at it, Kal-el is more Terran than Kryptonian in that sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRYvrDdntjA

Old 07-09-2023, 06:56 PM

Christopher Reeve just knew how to carry himself in a way that Cavill never could.
Even when Reeve's Clark got revenge on the trucker in 1980, it seemed like Clark was the goofy underdog (plus it helped that Clark had received a blood nose in the earlier scene).
Impossible to see Cavill as a goofy underdog....

Old 07-11-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Christopher Reeve just knew how to carry himself in a way that Cavill never could.
Even when Reeve's Clark got revenge on the trucker in 1980, it seemed like Clark was the goofy underdog (plus it helped that Clark had received a blood nose in the earlier scene).
Impossible to see Cavill as a goofy underdog....
Clark "the goofy underdog" is an act. A facade. It isn't a prerequisite any more than Tony Stark's penchant for wisecracks by way of Robert Downey, Jr.

Throughout literature and cinema are myriad variations on a theme. I realize for some nostalgia is a crutch to lean on. I, myself, am guilty of it often, but Superman as a concept is one that's sorely needed an update from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies