Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 07:16 AM

22,947 posts, read 28,346,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
NOPE is very good movie. Not because it is packed with CGIs or battle scenes or other cliches and staples.
BECAUSE IT IS ORIGINAL. Someone finally came up with an original concept. In the flood of dull remakes it STANDS OUT.
Please define what you mean by "ORIGINAL."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2023, 05:52 PM

19,113 posts, read 27,710,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Please define what you mean by "ORIGINAL."
Sure. The concept. The idea. It is not your cliche alien movie. It's original. One of a kind.

Old 04-03-2023, 11:56 AM

8,350 posts, read 13,496,542 times
Quote:
Sure. The concept. The idea. It is not your cliche alien movie. It's original. One of a kind.
Man-eating monster alien is not original.
Story seemed different but too slow and unrealistic to make it a good movie.
Acting was also lousy for the most part. The lead male and female (brother and sister) was baddddd.

Brother was like a zombie, sister was way too bubbly and annoying. Overly curious and helpful FRY's tech was something else altogether. The guy was practically living with them out in the middle of nowhere!?

Zombie brother looked all drugged up yet he was so smart for no reason and could figure out the giant flying alien monster would do nothing if the person didn't look at him? What? How would he figure this out??
How could the giant flying alien monster could tell what is our eyes or could it see it was being looked at?

Alien that big hiding in a (fake?) cloud that no one else notices for 6+ months, especially US Airforce?
Puhleeze!

A ton of weird stuff that didn't make sense, too many to list...

Nope, not that good of a movie, imo. It was clearly overhyped.

Old 04-03-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I don't know that it's one of a kind. It seemed like a really high budget episode of The Twilight Zone --- and I mean that as a sincere compliment. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Jordan Peele is quickly proving himself a modern-day Rod Serling. Again: compliment.

Old 04-03-2023, 02:38 PM

23,434 posts, read 19,057,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Zombie brother looked all drugged up yet he was so smart for no reason and could figure out the giant flying alien monster would do nothing if the person didn't look at him? What? How would he figure this out??
How could the giant flying alien monster could tell what is our eyes or could it see it was being looked at?
When I saw him do that my assumption (being a biologist) was he decided not to look at it directly because he had a lot of experience working with horses. For many animals, a direct stare is a threat or a challenge. They're more likely to react in an inconvenient manner if they feel threatened/challenged. Sort of the same idea as not swallowing or eating while looking directly at a prey animal...such as a horse. It implies they might be eaten next! Instinct dictates much of their prey animal status behavior, even around those they know. Predators and prey animals often scan their surroundings for eyes and eye movement to help them detect other animals close enough for concern. Shielding or camouflaging your eyes makes you less noticeable; you're less likely to give your location away.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-03-2023 at 04:07 PM..

Old 04-05-2023, 07:40 AM

19,113 posts, read 27,710,534 times
I stick to my opinion.
I never watch SciFi movies for great plot or great artistry. Not the kind to expect. Just like martial arts movies. Really, I just enjoy effects.

NOPE is the first one I saw with such a concept of not just alien but, also, UFO. Honestly, until the very end, it was quite boring and confusing.
But the very end - yes. When it started unfolding into that sailed whatever.... that was original.

See, thing is, human being can not imagine something, it has never encountered before. Simply can't. Hence, proliferation of humans in weird suits (Star Wars) posing as aliens, variations of known animals or bugs or fish, amorphous blobs or tentacled something. With always lots of oozing goop. Or, combinations of those.

NOPE thing stands on its own. What is definition of - original.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
I never watch SciFi movies for great plot or great artistry. Not the kind to expect. Just like martial arts movies. Really, I just enjoy effects.
I understand, and I get what you're saying. When I watch an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, I'm not expecting Shakespeare. That said, if you look, you can actually find science fiction movies that have both great effects and great plot or great artistry. I'd recommend:

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, rightly considered a classic. As cinematic art, it is a masterpiece. As a story? Well, I actually prefer ...

2010: THE YEAR WE MAKE CONTACT. The sequel lacks Kubrick's artistic flair, but the story and characters are superior in every way.

EX MACHINA. Great effects. Great story. Great ending. It's an almost perfect movie really.

MINORITY REPORT. Criminally under-rated Spielberg flick.

UNDER THE SKIN. Honestly, this is almost a Horror movie as much as it is science fiction, but it is good. Speaking of which ...

ALIEN. The best horror/sci-fi movie ever made.

ALIENS. The best action/sci-fi move ever made.

BLADE RUNNER. I genuinely feel sorry for people who have never seen this masterpiece.

FORBIDDEN PLANET. Shakespeare in space. With Leslie Nielsen. Impossible not to love this movie.

Quote:
See, thing is, human being can not imagine something, it has never encountered before. Simply can't. Hence, proliferation of humans in weird suits (Star Wars) posing as aliens, variations of known animals or bugs or fish, amorphous blobs or tentacled something. With always lots of oozing goop. Or, combinations of those.
Sure. Which is actually part of the story in 2001 and 2010. Check 'em out.

Quote:
NOPE thing stands on its own. What is definition of - original.
Well, I am of the opinion that the last storyteller to come up with an original story --- meaning a story utterly unique that no one has ever told before --- was probably leaning close to the fire and gnawing on a mammoth bone.

NOPE was obviously standing on the shoulders of Rod Serling and Alfred Hitchcock. But Jordan Peele definitely added his own vision and themes to his story. So if by "original" we mean taking a classic recipe and putting a new spin on it, then yes, I have no problem seeing NOPE as original.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:52 AM

8,350 posts, read 13,496,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
When I saw him do that my assumption (being a biologist) was he decided not to look at it directly because he had a lot of experience working with horses. For many animals, a direct stare is a threat or a challenge. They're more likely to react in an inconvenient manner if they feel threatened/challenged. Sort of the same idea as not swallowing or eating while looking directly at a prey animal...such as a horse. It implies they might be eaten next! Instinct dictates much of their prey animal status behavior, even around those they know. Predators and prey animals often scan their surroundings for eyes and eye movement to help them detect other animals close enough for concern. Shielding or camouflaging your eyes makes you less noticeable; you're less likely to give your location away.
I totally understand what you were saying but does it really apply when dealing with an ET from some other Galaxy?

Also, the monster had a completely different anatomy so did it even have eyes?
Even if it did, would their eyes and eyesight function the way our do? What is their eye sight is based on heat signature or some thermal reading, how would that theory play?
Could the monster know where his eyes would be or even see the guy's eyes at such distances while also both of them were moving?

Too many variable and probabilities to believe that claim. The writer/director had to keep the "weakness" of the monster simple for the sake of the characters but that is where he lost me...

Old 04-05-2023, 12:56 PM

23,434 posts, read 19,057,110 times
Quote:
I totally understand what you were saying but does it really apply when dealing with an ET from some other Galaxy?
Maybe not, but the character hiding his eyes was from THIS planet! He based his behavior on his experience with earthly creatures! It's all he had to go on, right? It is also the frame of reference the human viewing audience has to go on when interpreting why he did what he did. If he chose wrong, his presence in the movie would be brief.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't much of the drama (in this story as well as most other ET encounter plots) a matter of learning what would and would not influence the alien's actions? Learn fast enough, you get to live to the end of the movie. Don't learn, do not pass Go, do not collect 200 dollars.

Old 04-07-2023, 03:37 PM

4,571 posts, read 5,446,048 times
Quote:
Man-eating monster alien is not original.
Story seemed different but too slow and unrealistic to make it a good movie.
Acting was also lousy for the most part. The lead male and female (brother and sister) was baddddd.

Brother was like a zombie, sister was way too bubbly and annoying. Overly curious and helpful FRY's tech was something else altogether. The guy was practically living with them out in the middle of nowhere!?

Alien that big hiding in a (fake?) cloud that no one else notices for 6+ months, especially US Airforce?
Puhleeze!

A ton of weird stuff that didn't make sense, too many to list...

Nope, not that good of a movie, imo. It was clearly overhyped.
This ^^^

I really thought the acting was bad as well. I mean, so bad it distracted me from the film. The spin at the end kinda ruined it for me as well - monster instead of an alien. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies