Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 04:15 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Very true, most moto/car-truck collisions, occur at intersections. And, I was only being facetious regarding the "loud pipes" comment. You bring up a very interesting phycological phenom. The eye sees the motorcycle, but the brain doesn't consider it to be a "real" threat, so no evasive action is taken. This happens all too often. The risk is greatly increased when the driver is distracted, even slightly. And, you ARE correct, the driver DID look right through you.Any "new/unusual" stimulus is effective, UNTIL it's common place. Then, the risk level returns to previous levels.
Case in point...when the 3rd brake lamp was "new" it was very effective. Now that every vehicle has that 3rd brake lamp, it is no longer as effective as before.

As motorcyclists, our best strategy for "risk" is to mitigate it down to acceptable levels. This may include wearing moto-gear, getting advanced training and avoiding areas that have lots of intersections or drunk drivers (like 2AM.) Riding defensively.

Some riders find it "too risky" to ride the street, and have gone to riding strictly the track. Some have hung up their boots altogether. Some have "aged out" or it's no longer of interest to them.

Some riders (usually young) can't get enough "risk" in their lives. Shorts/flip-flops, no helmet, no training, on a Hayabusa with zero experience. Makes us older riders cringe. We've seen it.
Another possibility is driving towards where their eyes are looking. This is what happens when you hear a news story of someone crashing into a stopped emergency vehicle with their lights flashing. It isn’t that the driver didn’t see the vehicle, it’s that they focused on the vehicle to the point that they steered towards where they were looking.

As riders begin switching to electric bikes, no more loud pipes. Light or reflective materials will be their only method of being seen by inattentive drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2023, 11:23 AM

778 posts, read 504,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I don't like obnoxiously loud pipes either but that said, I do believe loud pipes do work.
Say anything you want about how the pipes are facing back and so the sound would be traveling backwards yada yada yada but we still hear a bike with loud pipes coming up the road and turn to look, don't we?

Over the years, based on personal experience and encounters alone, I do believe they are quite useful and effective, especially with those who are not even paying attention to the road aka smartphone users.
I have seen so many that had their faces buried on their phone screen lift and turn their had and look while I was approaching their vehicle and still at least several feet behind.

On a different note, I have also seen the most well behaved and straight driving in AZ when there was another rider slightly ahead of me with a visible holstered pistol on his side. I couldn't believe how proper and calm the drivers that were in close proximity of him on 101 which was quite unlike my usual experience. This was 14 years ago but I am certain it will hold true even today.

I just moved back to AZ 10 days ago but I still remember that day like yesterday. I am seriously considering getting a holster and putting a dummy gun in it where it might be just a handle.
Myself, I would not attempt to bluff my way through a situation. All you need is some drunk, pissed-off cracker to see your fake gun and call that bluff. When I went on that ride to Arkansas, I considered taking my .38, but decided against it it. There would be plenty of hardware in this crowd of Texans, and there was.

Old 11-06-2023, 01:11 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,439,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
Myself, I would not attempt to bluff my way through a situation. All you need is some drunk, pissed-off cracker to see your fake gun and call that bluff. When I went on that ride to Arkansas, I considered taking my .38, but decided against it it. There would be plenty of hardware in this crowd of Texans, and there was.
Fair enough but, having your own "hardware" is different than having others around you with their own.
Especially seeing how caring and friendly they were, would you really rely your life on them coming to your need in such a vital time?

I am not a gun nut nor own one but I like the line from the movie AVP where the merch woman replies to the question "Why do you even carry a gun?" with something like "Same reason why I carry a condom; I rather have one and not need it than need it and not have one!".

Old 11-08-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Fair enough but, having your own "hardware" is different than having others around you with their own.
Especially seeing how caring and friendly they were, would you really rely your life on them coming to your need in such a vital time?

I am not a gun nut nor own one but I like the line from the movie AVP where the merch woman replies to the question "Why do you even carry a gun?" with something like "Same reason why I carry a condom; I rather have one and not need it than need it and not have one!".
I could put my revolver in the condom to camouflage it and no one would know I was armed.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:56 AM

13,062 posts, read 7,500,158 times
Quote:
I am not sure how it would be increasing cost? I bought the ones I am using from HFT and you get a bunch for $6.

I think they are well worth the $! I wanted to make sure I would be visible from the back and the sides at the very least but wrapping the front forks is also a logical method.
I used the top box in the back due to the larger area it offered.
Did you buy this tao-tao used? Looks like my scooter. I added a air-horn.
Rode mine in the country-zipping along the hills-and-dales. Too dangerous to ride in the urban areas with driveways and side streets.

Now ride EBikes (class 1 and 2), moved to the city. I try to stay off the streets but need to cross mains to get to side streets and bike lanes/paths. Even walking is a dangerous-cars making right turns, cars making left turns when I'm in halfway across the street (almost got hit walking 2x a couple of days ago). The upsides of getting hit in my area are the owner of the Tesla and Tesla will pay dearly. Suggest you get a Ziren (140db electronic horn and high intensity LED).
YMMV

Last edited by leastprime; 11-08-2023 at 11:08 AM..

Old 11-08-2023, 12:19 PM

1,063 posts, read 906,736 times
regarding victimofGM comment:

"...it’s that they focused on the vehicle to the point that they steered towards where they were looking."

that is what instructors try to "break" in collision avoidance training.
the student is supposed to look where they want to go,
and not at what they want to avoid.
it is very hard to accomplish.

Old 11-08-2023, 03:52 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,439,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
I could put my revolver in the condom to camouflage it and no one would know I was armed.
Would that be like having the safety on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Did you buy this tao-tao used? Looks like my scooter. I added a air-horn.
Rode mine in the country-zipping along the hills-and-dales. Too dangerous to ride in the urban areas with driveways and side streets.
What is a "tao-tao"? Were you referring to my bike (MG Stelvio)?

Old 11-08-2023, 10:21 PM

Quote:

What is a "tao-tao"? Were you referring to my bike (MG Stelvio)?
Taotao is the Chinese mass producer of scooters in the range of 49/50cc to 250cc engines(?). The engine was/is licensed from yamaha, Honda, or other japanese company IIRC.

My 49cc TaoTao, had a tail end and luggage&rack with HF reflector tape, similar to your attached picture. Any other similarities are unknown.
YBMV

Old 11-08-2023, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
But.... Most MC accidents are from cars pulling out in front / cross traffic, so reflectors or loud pipes are of no benefit.

Even with extra lights, high visibility green attire, and helmet, I had my nearest hit last week. <20mph, I was crossing intersection and fully into the intersection, when the left turn opposing driver quickly decided a MC was not a big barrier to run over. She looked right through me. (Motorcycles are invisible!)

Intermittent strobe helmet, the size of a basketball, with sensor for that next car who is gonna hit you would be a handy item. Even automatically actuated during and approaching intersections and roundabouts would help. We have the technology and the need.
^I subscribe to this.
I unwillingly but acknowledging gave up my scooter when we move to an urban area.
Fortunately, the urban area is fairly bike friendly with rails-to-trails, dedicated bike lanes, and devided bike lanes. The cost of ebikes and their variety have been improving. Expect my 3rd ebike soon, which will be a compromise of the 2 other ebikes. I won't quite have the range of a gas powered scooter but I can put this ebike on a bus, train, in a sedan.

I really need to wear my leathers but they are heavy for bicycle riding.

When I am on a vehicle road, I have my ebike light (ziren light/horn) always on strobe and pointed to the right to alert drivers. I also have a front headlight. 2 tail lights, one always on strobe.
YBMV

Old 11-09-2023, 10:55 AM

Would that be like having the safety on?

Of course, never go around with the safety off or half-cocked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles