Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 10:53 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,655,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I thought you were on a budget or, didn't wanna spend much?
Norty has good taste and I liked his recommendations but those bikes you and he mentioned are not cheap, especially new.
Oh, my budget is significantly greater than what would be required for a cheap, 150cc Chinese motorcycle. Looking for a cheap bike doesn’t mean I’m unable or willing to buy something more expensive.

The KTM 890 Adventure, Tiger 900, Husqvarna 901 Norden Expedition, Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT, etc. are all within my budget.

Quote:
If you do like adventure type bikes and do not want something too big or expensive, I could recommend Suzuki VStrom 650 to you. You could find a second Gen 650 or even a 3rd Gen used one at a very reasonable price.
Not sure where you are but you might even be able to grab a clean 1st Gen in good condition and low-ish miles for under $3K.
Just a thought.
Not a bad choice, but I would suffer on longer highway trips. The larger bikes are much better choices, especially since off-road riding would only be about 20% (or less) of what I plan to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2023, 01:44 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,437,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Oh, my budget is significantly greater than what would be required for a cheap, 150cc Chinese motorcycle. Looking for a cheap bike doesn’t mean I’m unable or willing to buy something more expensive.

The KTM 890 Adventure, Tiger 900, Husqvarna 901 Norden Expedition, Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT, etc. are all within my budget.

Not a bad choice, but I would suffer on longer highway trips. The larger bikes are much better choices, especially since off-road riding would only be about 20% (or less) of what I plan to do.
Well, this is what you say now but this is what you wrote earlier in the thread:
Quote:
I’ve had a number of motorcycles in the past (two different Kawasaki dirt bikes and a Victory street bike), and I currently have a Polaris ATV. All have been great, never a single problem. I sold my motorcycles nearly 20 years ago, and I’m thinking about getting back into it. I’m either going to buy another street bike (probably a FJR1300), or a bar hopper of some sort for cheap commuting and putt-putting around town. For a small commuter bike, keeping it inexpensive is a priority.
So, you have a contradictory search criteria but in any event, I don't see how/why the VStrom 650 would cause you to suffer on longer highway trips but since you, too, prefer larger bikes, you could always go for the bigger displacement models like the VStrom 800 (parallel twin) or even the 1050 (V-twin). Vstrom is known to have one of the most comfy and forgiving stock seats.

Anyhow, good luck with your bike hunt!

Old 08-09-2023, 04:22 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
Well, this is what you say now but this is what you wrote earlier in the thread:
I believe that I’ve been pretty clear, so I’m not sure why you aren’t understanding what I’ve written. Note the highlights below:

Quote:
I’ve had a number of motorcycles in the past (two different Kawasaki dirt bikes and a Victory street bike), and I currently have a Polaris ATV. All have been great, never a single problem. I sold my motorcycles nearly 20 years ago, and I’m thinking about getting back into it. I’m either going to buy another street bike (probably a FJR1300), or a bar hopper of some sort for cheap commuting and putt-putting around town. For a small commuter bike, keeping it inexpensive is a priority.
And:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post

An inexpensive Chinese bike was ONE possibility that I was considering, but not the only one. “That one is shopping for hamburger doesn’t necessarily mean that they can’t afford steak.” I would have thought that the early reference to the FJR1300 would have made that clear. . . And I would have figured that the following would have made it impossible to be unclear about that point:

Quote:

Quote:
So, you have a contradictory search criteria but in any event, I don't see how/why the VStrom 650 would cause you to suffer on longer highway trips but since you, too, prefer larger bikes, you could always go for the bigger displacement models like the VStrom 800 (parallel twin) or even the 1050 (V-twin). Vstrom is known to have one of the most comfy and forgiving stock seats.

Anyhow, good luck with your bike hunt!
Not sure why you seem to be getting hung up on the highlight above. As I said, I’m getting back into riding, was considering both ends of the cost spectrum, and as I made clear earlier, I’m no longer looking at the cheap end of the spectrum.

I spent some time on an early V-Strom 650 back in 2004. Not my cup of tea. It’s OK that I don’t really like your recommendation. If you like it, that’s all that matters.

Old 08-10-2023, 10:31 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
How reliable is that source?
I am pretty certain Japanese motorcycles, at least the mainstream models, are made in Japan.
Assembly is the only thing that might done partially or completely elsewhere but the actual motor and core components are all made in Japan not China.

Shame about Harley Davidson though. As premium their price tags are, they were made and assembled in Mexico in the later years and I heard the production was going to China but didn't really believe.

Some of the manufacturers were actually switching from China to other closer locations due to freight/transportation costs but not sure how accurate or applicable it is.

If the parts are made in China, then I am sure they did so to save from labor costs but they would typically have their own people doing strict quality check.
Couldn't say the same for a Chinese company doing their own thing....

Aren't Honda Gold Wings made in Marysville OH?

Old 08-10-2023, 10:42 AM

I wasn't upset or hung up on anything, sir.
Yes, you have been very clear beginning with your second post that you had a contradictory search criteria; Grom like small displacement bikes/Chinese scooters under $2K OR much larger adventure bikes costing up to $20K.

I wasn't saying it was a bad thing but don't you think there are way too many possibilities and options to mention here?
Again good luck with your bike hunt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Aren't Honda Gold Wings made in Marysville OH?
Might be! I really haven't followed up on this and there seems to be too many changes in that regard.

Pretty soon the assembly location might become the buyer's own garage for all we know!

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 08-10-2023 at 11:18 AM..

Old 08-10-2023, 10:53 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:

Might be! I really haven't followed up on this and there seems to be too many changes in that regard.

Pretty soon the assembly location might become the buyer's own garage for all we know!

I know I had an '80 CBX and as far back as then it was assembled in OH with parts being brought from Japan.

Old 08-10-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I know I had an '80 CBX and as far back as then it was assembled in OH with parts being brought from Japan.
You might be right and it makes sense to assemble the parts/bike in the continent that it will be sold in.
Either way, much better than being assembled in China, especially in the 80s thru 2010.
I am sure China's assembly capabilities have gotten to the top tier level in the last decade but I still don't trust their "exports" having the same quality as the ones from Japan.

Taiwan is another story altogether.

PS. I can totally related to what happened with Sporti as I am in the same situation with Stelvio and my near future destination; Phoenix. Just not suitable.

Old 08-15-2023, 07:40 PM

177 posts, read 134,307 times
Reliability, resale, part availability and accessories will all be lacking with a Chinese bike. Don’t do it.

Old 08-23-2023, 09:28 PM

1,292 posts, read 643,584 times
Why would anyone even consider buying a chinese motorcycle? Given china's despicable human rights record, harassing its neighbors, supporting NK, subjugating Hong Kong, Macao and Tibet etc. ,etc. I would think anyone even remotely concerned with these issues would avoid buying chinese. Unfortunately it is virtually impossible to completely "boycott" chinese made stuff - but this is a no-brainer. Of course if you're poor, err, financially challenged that trumps all else.

Old 01-15-2024, 02:46 PM

10,833 posts, read 4,513,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
What I bolded above, tells me you are a "re-entry" rider. Because of this, I recommend a re-entry motorcycle training class.

If you are getting "on in years" then you might want to focus on a smaller/lighter bike, other than an FJR. (Unless you're planning on iron-butt or other long distance riding.)

Ridden a Triumph Bonny lately?

just saw this. I had to deal with a local can am dealer who has added ducs and triumphs and bmws...I was getting the tour of the new facility by the boss - it was a giant 16 screen theatre that failed a couple years ago, so the place is MASSIVE.

I saw one of the new T120's and I actually want one. The boss said I seemed rather old skool but I pointed out I had been in the dealership exactly 4 times in the last couple weeks and each time I asked if he wanted to sell the 2 1970 honda SL and CTs...and that I drive a square suburban. I own 'old skool' lol. So once the weather is not freezing Im gonna schedule a test drive. the MSRP (which you are paying, there is no wiggle) is not hideous, that big twin is unusual, EFI, ABS, traction control even, and a decent set of colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles