Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 07:25 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Still Crazy (and still a fricken Turk)!

I actually love bikes torque that can do a wheelie when you sneeze! Though riding style, length and weight of the bike is important as well. KTM's size seemed very suitable, just wished it has a 6th gear and perhaps another 10-15 ponies for occasional freeway riding.
Have you ever tried a Husky 701? Yes, it'll wheelie (easily.) As far as "having another 10-15 ponies" yes, it has another 30...
Quote:

I dislike sports/super sports, hate their riding position all the silly fairings, etc. I am definitely a cruiser/naked/adventure bike type guy. Those types have the riding style and ergonomics I like.
Yeah, I'm done with the tail-bone ape hanger malarky as well. I went back to the style of bikes I rode in the early 1970's. Those being dirtbikes. When I bought a Triumph Tiger 800XC, back in 2012, it was like putting on an old pair of shoes. (Even though the weight had doubled.)
Quote:

I saw 2023 base model KLRs selling for under $5K and adventure model under $6K (probably including all the manuf. rebates, cashback, etc.) so yeah, especially at those prices, it is definitely a very good bang for the buck and becomes a very desirable option.
That's a steal!
Quote:

I think I will look and settle for a used cruiser/standard road bike for the time being.
Thanks for all the input!
Try the Triumph Tiger, just for the heck of it. That triple is so smoooooooooooth! I liike the chain drive Tigers as the shafties are another 50-60 pounds. Oh, the 850/900 will wheelie also, but not as easy the the Husky 701. (Those things are NUTS!) I love mine anyway....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 12:23 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Have you ever tried a Husky 701? Yes, it'll wheelie (easily.) As far as "having another 10-15 ponies" yes, it has another 30...
Yeah, I'm done with the tail-bone ape hanger malarky as well. I went back to the style of bikes I rode in the early 1970's. Those being dirtbikes. When I bought a Triumph Tiger 800XC, back in 2012, it was like putting on an old pair of shoes. (Even though the weight had doubled.) That's a steal!

Try the Triumph Tiger, just for the heck of it. That triple is so smoooooooooooth! I liike the chain drive Tigers as the shafties are another 50-60 pounds. Oh, the 850/900 will wheelie also, but not as easy the the Husky 701. (Those things are NUTS!) I love mine anyway....
Hi Norty,

Were you referring to Husky Enduro 701? Those are neat bikes but a new one is wayyyyyy too much $$.
13K Euros for a 700cc bike? No, thanks! What year is your 701?
An former coworker got a Svartpilen 401 and really likes it but he is also a smaller, shorter and slower rider too.

If I had $13K, I'd try KTM's SuperMoto 690. I saw an older model couple of weeks back on PCH and I really liked the way it looked and its size. Even though it look more of a dual-sport, it is great on pavement too.
Always liked Triumph Tiger and Bonneville, and really wanted to own one. If I can find a used one at a reasonable price, definitely!

I thought about holding on to my Stelvio but it would be a big headache plus extra $$ which I don't have, to have it shipped to AZ.
I will, begrudgingly, sell it and then settle for something suitable after I settle. I have to see how long I will have to stay in AZ to decide what type of a bike I will get.

If I may end up moving again within a year to PNW, then I won't buy anything new as I will have to sell it too.

I was telling BMW R1100 how limited the bike selections were in Phoenix and also how pricier they were when I compared same bikes of different make and models to the ones in So Cal.

Old 08-03-2023, 03:00 PM

777 posts, read 503,312 times
I was telling BMW R1100 how limited the bike selections were in Phoenix and also how pricier they were when I compared same bikes of different make and models to the ones in So Cal.

SoCal is the best market in the world for cars, bikes, boats, trucks, planes, pretty much anything. If it's not available in SoCal, it's not available anywhere. When I was selling my sailboat, I was getting emails from Australia, Seattle, Hawaii. I do know your situation, that's why I said to put the Stelvio in a POD, every time you move. It may be a few more bucks in the short term, but it's a lot fewer headaches in the long run, but YMMV. Anyhoo, good luck!

Old 08-03-2023, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post

SoCal is the best market in the world for cars, bikes, boats, trucks, planes, pretty much anything. If it's not available in SoCal, it's not available anywhere. When I was selling my sailboat, I was getting emails from Australia, Seattle, Hawaii. I do know your situation, that's why I said to put the Stelvio in a POD, every time you move. It may be a few more bucks in the short term, but it's a lot fewer headaches in the long run, but YMMV. Anyhoo, good luck!
I know, I know. It seemed like time to try something different but believe me, if I can't get a reasonable offer for it, I might even jump on the damn thing and ride it there because my sister and brother in law will come with their truck to help with the move. I am thinking if I make it there a day before, I could ride with them back.

Old 08-07-2023, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Hi Norty,

Were you referring to Husky Enduro 701?
Yes, the 701E.
Quote:
Those are neat bikes but a new one is wayyyyyy too much $$.
They are pricy, but worth it!
Quote:
13K Euros for a 700cc bike? No, thanks! What year is your 701?
Mine is a 2018. (One of the "best" years to get.)
Quote:

If I had $13K, I'd try KTM's SuperMoto 690. I saw an older model couple of weeks back on PCH and I really liked the way it looked and its size. Even though it look more of a dual-sport, it is great on pavement too.
I hear you on the SUMO.

Just an FYI~ The KTM 690 and Husky 701 are basically the same bikes. (Slight difference in rear suspension linkage.)

But here is a difference that some people consider paramount:

The KTM 690 gets a 12 month/12,000 mile factory warranty.

The Husky 701 gets a 24 month/24,000 mile factory warranty.

Also, weight. The Husky 701 weighs 334 lbs. (150.5 front, 183.5 rear) full of fuel, with a tail rack and Nelson-Rigg tailbag with 5 pounds of tools/water onboard. Oh and Flatland bash plate and HDB hand guards with integrated mirrors. The KLR is 450+ with just a half tank of fuel. This weight delta isn't a big deal, UNTIL you get off the road, into sand/mud. Then, it's the difference between a Pinto and a FORD GT.
Quote:
Always liked Triumph Tiger and Bonneville, and really wanted to own one. If I can find a used one at a reasonable price, definitely!
The Tiger is a great platform. It is very competent on the road. Even the "XC" series (Like I have.) They do seem to hold their value quite well. I've had mine for 61,XXX miles and 11 years. Been all over the Western US, Mexico and up to Vancouver with it. Never missed a beat. In fact, I use it as my "daily commuter."

Old 08-08-2023, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, the 701E. They are pricy, but worth it! Mine is a 2018. (One of the "best" years to get.)
Uh, so Huskies have "that" best year thing, too!
Good to know!

Quote:
Just an FYI~ The KTM 690 and Husky 701 are basically the same bikes. (Slight difference in rear suspension linkage.)

But here is a difference that some people consider paramount:

The KTM 690 gets a 12 month/12,000 mile factory warranty.

The Husky 701 gets a 24 month/24,000 mile factory warranty.

Also, weight. The Husky 701 weighs 334 lbs. (150.5 front, 183.5 rear) full of fuel, with a tail rack and Nelson-Rigg tailbag with 5 pounds of tools/water onboard. Oh and Flatland bash plate and HDB hand guards with integrated mirrors. The KLR is 450+ with just a half tank of fuel. This weight delta isn't a big deal, UNTIL you get off the road, into sand/mud. Then, it's the difference between a Pinto and a FORD GT.
I think you shared a photo of your 701 in the new photo thread. Yes, it definitely look similar to the SuMo and thank you for the interesting details on the comparison of the two. I was not aware!

I see random people grab 15-20 yo SuMos for $2K or less around where I typically ride and it drives me crazy! Where I am likely to be residing for a while has awful mc market.

Same make and model bike but even an older year and/or more miles and the seller is asking average 20% more than a seller in So Cal.
I will get an adv bike that I want when I start working ft again.

Quote:
The Tiger is a great platform. It is very competent on the road. Even the "XC" series (Like I have.) They do seem to hold their value quite well. I've had mine for 61,XXX miles and 11 years. Been all over the Western US, Mexico and up to Vancouver with it. Never missed a beat. In fact, I use it as my "daily commuter."
Yeah, I always liked the Triumphs too. I almost got a brand new Bobber back in 2017 but the ergonomics were crap for a guy my size and weight. A Tiger would definitely me more to my liking anyway but I am gonna have to hold off on getting an Adventure until I settle some place on a more permanent basis.

I will probably settle for a cruiser which actually would be cool to ride in AZ.

Old 08-10-2023, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Uh, so Huskies have "that" best year thing, too!
Good to know!
Yes, the "best" year for the 701, appears to be the 2019 model year. (MY.) It has earned this distinction due to it's upgraded WP forks and still maintain 275mm of travel. (Later editions have 250mm.) Unfortunately, the newer editions have many "nannies" that need to be disabled when riding like a hooligan. These "aids" have been known to be troublesome if not disabled before riding. They also may be a source of problems, down the road, but they haven't been, as of yet.
Quote:

I think you shared a photo of your 701 in the new photo thread. Yes, it definitely look similar to the SuMo and thank you for the interesting details on the comparison of the two. I was not aware!
Some 701 owners want to have both the Enduro & the SUMO. So, the strategy here is to get the Enduro, and then get SUMO wheels/tires for it, and trade back and forth for different purposes. If this is something you might want to persue, then warp9 makes wheel sets for the 701. Also, it's mush easier to convert the Enduro into a SUMO, than vice versa.
Quote:

I see random people grab 15-20 yo SuMos for $2K or less around where I typically ride and it drives me crazy! Where I am likely to be residing for a while has awful mc market.

Same make and model bike but even an older year and/or more miles and the seller is asking average 20% more than a seller in So Cal.
I will get an adv bike that I want when I start working ft again.

Yeah, I always liked the Triumphs too. I almost got a brand new Bobber back in 2017 but the ergonomics were crap for a guy my size and weight. A Tiger would definitely me more to my liking anyway but I am gonna have to hold off on getting an Adventure until I settle some place on a more permanent basis.

I will probably settle for a cruiser which actually would be cool to ride in AZ.
A cruiser in AZ? I'd rather have my ADV in AZ. (It's been there before!) There's not a better mileage muncher than an ADV bike with an Air Hawk!

Old 08-13-2023, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, the "best" year for the 701, appears to be the 2019 model year. (MY.) It has earned this distinction due to it's upgraded WP forks and still maintain 275mm of travel. (Later editions have 250mm.) Unfortunately, the newer editions have many "nannies" that need to be disabled when riding like a hooligan. These "aids" have been known to be troublesome if not disabled before riding. They also may be a source of problems, down the road, but they haven't been, as of yet. Some 701 owners want to have both the Enduro & the SUMO. So, the strategy here is to get the Enduro, and then get SUMO wheels/tires for it, and trade back and forth for different purposes. If this is something you might want to persue, then warp9 makes wheel sets for the 701. Also, it's mush easier to convert the Enduro into a SUMO, than vice versa.
Interesting info, thank you for sharing!
You seem to be doing quite a bit of off-road riding. I have never really done any actual off-road riding, tbh.
I had a few miles of fire road/gravel riding once or twice, that is about it.
Outside Phoenix or around the outer edges though a bike like KLR might also make sense and could allow me to experiment more off-road riding style. Where I am currently, I'd have to ride couple of hours at least just to get to such remote roads.

Quote:
A cruiser in AZ? I'd rather have my ADV in AZ. (It's been there before!) There's not a better mileage muncher than an ADV bike with an Air Hawk!
Dry, warmer climate calls for leisurely cruising. I dunno, that type of bike somehow seem to make more sense there plus I always enjoyed cruisers and had one as a second bike. Due to space and budget restrictions though, I will continue to have one bike and cruisers seems to be much more reasonably priced but you never know!

Old 08-20-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Interesting info, thank you for sharing!
You seem to be doing quite a bit of off-road riding. I have never really done any actual off-road riding, tbh.
I had a few miles of fire road/gravel riding once or twice, that is about it.
Outside Phoenix or around the outer edges though a bike like KLR might also make sense and could allow me to experiment more off-road riding style. Where I am currently, I'd have to ride couple of hours at least just to get to such remote roads.
Oh yeah, I could blow up your thread with self serving pictures, but it's not my thread, it's your's.

Now, as far as off-roading goes...motorcycles are single track vehicles, which means they require balance to remain upright. This is where rider skills come in. If you haven't much off-road experience, when I STRONGLY suggest an off-road motorcycle class. One I can recommend is www.motoventures.com in Anza, Ca.

Riding 100,000 street miles will NOT make you a better off-road rider. But...

Riding 2 hours off-road WILL make you a better street rider. (Yeah, you're gonna WORK unless you go slow.) Unless you go super slow, then the "work" thing skyrockets, again. Think: TRIALS...

Quote:
Dry, warmer climate calls for leisurely cruising. I dunno, that type of bike somehow seem to make more sense there plus I always enjoyed cruisers and had one as a second bike. Due to space and budget restrictions though, I will continue to have one bike and cruisers seems to be much more reasonably priced but you never know!
Cruisers are great, don't get me wrong, I've had 2 of them, over the years. (Both HD's.) Probably racked up 150,000 miles on them. Easy to travel a long ways on them, once they are fixed up for you. Just remember that when you ride a cruiser, it tilts your pelvic bone back, so you're riding on your coccyx (tail-bone.) This can cause discomfort and hurt like heck, if you don't have the ability to move your leg positions, during a ride. Or, use the above mentioned Air-Hawk pad device. (I had highway pegs installed on both my HD's.) I used to move from the regular pegs to the elevated highway pegs and back again, when riding long distance. Unfortunately, the wind blast wanted to blow my feet off the highway pegs, causing me to flex groin muscles to keep my feet from blowing off the pegs. That got old, hour after hour. Makes ya walk kinda funny when you get gas, too! Good to walk around/stretch for a couple minutes when fueling, too. During a 'cross country trip. It's important to keep your blood movin'. It makes for a more enjoyable ride, too.

Get out there, and ride safe!

(btw, can you tell I'm a retired MSF ridercoach?) LOL, yup!

This is why I suggested an ADV configured bike, as the pegs are directly beneath you, like when on horseback. (Pegs inline with your shoulders.)

Old 08-20-2023, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I could blow up your thread with self serving pictures, but it's not my thread, it's your's.
It is really not mine either. Mods butcher my posts and have been removing every single external photo link from my posts in the last few months so I hardly feel like I have any control.
Besides, I don't care and it is not against TOS so by all means, blow it up!

Quote:
Now, as far as off-roading goes...motorcycles are single track vehicles, which means they require balance to remain upright. This is where rider skills come in. If you haven't much off-road experience, when I STRONGLY suggest an off-road motorcycle class. One I can recommend is www.motoventures.com in Anza, Ca.
I think I recall you or someone mentioning that school before. You are right, it would be an excellent course to take. Unfortunately, I neither have the $$ nor the time, meaning I'd be relocating soon and even if I had the money, there is just not enough time to take one.

Quote:
Riding 100,000 street miles will NOT make you a better off-road rider. But...

Riding 2 hours off-road WILL make you a better street rider. (Yeah, you're gonna WORK unless you go slow.) Unless you go super slow, then the "work" thing skyrockets, again. Think: TRIALS...
I agree, they are different animal but I have ridden on really nasty gravel roads with street tires and going faster than most sane riders with the same bike would so I feel I have some skills and a decent balance. Even with the horribly top heavy and tall bike like my Stelvio, I can balance the bike quite well.
At dead stops, I could keep the bike balanced for a few seconds or more without putting my feet down, etc. A lighter bike like a KLR650 or DR650 would be a piece of cake.
If I do and up getting a off-road capable bike, I could always get the proper boots and go practice on my own. Still, if I find a suitable local training around my near future residence, I'd definitely take it.

Thanks for the tips!

Quote:
Cruisers are great, don't get me wrong, I've had 2 of them, over the years. (Both HD's.) Probably racked up 150,000 miles on them. Easy to travel a long ways on them, once they are fixed up for you. Just remember that when you ride a cruiser, it tilts your pelvic bone back, so you're riding on your coccyx (tail-bone.) This can cause discomfort and hurt like heck, if you don't have the ability to move your leg positions, during a ride. Or, use the above mentioned Air-Hawk pad device. (I had highway pegs installed on both my HD's.) I used to move from the regular pegs to the elevated highway pegs and back again, when riding long distance. Unfortunately, the wind blast wanted to blow my feet off the highway pegs, causing me to flex groin muscles to keep my feet from blowing off the pegs. That got old, hour after hour. Makes ya walk kinda funny when you get gas, too! Good to walk around/stretch for a couple minutes when fueling, too. During a 'cross country trip. It's important to keep your blood movin'. It makes for a more enjoyable ride, too.
Funny walk? You mean like this?

I do have something like an AirHawk (air) seat cover that I use on hot days but otherwise, no tailbone issues here but I remember riding for a few hours on my 1st Gen V-Max with the stock seat on and having numb legs afterwards. That had to be the most -seemingly- comfy seat initially, only to kill circulation to your legs and make them go numb after an hour or so riding...

Quote:
Get out there, and ride safe!

(btw, can you tell I'm a retired MSF ridercoach?) LOL, yup!
No promises on riding safe!

BMW R1100 has ridden with me so he knows I am somewhat aggressive, especially when lane sharing.
I think I scared him once or twice when he was trying to keep up with my lane sharing!

Quote:
This is why I suggested an ADV configured bike, as the pegs are directly beneath you, like when on horseback. (Pegs inline with your shoulders.)
No argument here! I do prefer the ADV bike ergonomics for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles