Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2023, 04:43 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,775 times

Advertisements

Has anybody ridden the new Vespa 300 GTS? I am particularly interested in how they handle roads with 45 to 50 mph speeds as well as personal experiences with reliability and dealer support here in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 07:52 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,940,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Has anybody ridden the new Vespa 300 GTS? I am particularly interested in how they handle roads with 45 to 50 mph speeds as well as personal experiences with reliability and dealer support here in the US.
I've test ridden a couple of Vespas 300s, nice strong motors but I just could not warm up to the small wheel size of 12. My scooter PCX150 has 14s and I think it handles better than any Vespa out there.

Old 07-15-2023, 07:29 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,926,302 times
Reviving an old-ish thread! I'm interested in getting a motor scooter for around town driving, no highway, no long commutes. This thread has some valuable info that I appreciate.

I was wondering if anyone has purchased from (or would recommend) an online scooter dealer "PowersportsMax.com (Maxpro llc)". I did check Better Business Bureau, which gives them an "F" rating (1.05 out of 5, based on 33 customer reviews). So I guess it's an importer of cheap Chinese vehicles and you takes your chances.

The alternative to a $1000 cheap Chinese import would be a local dealer selling a Honda Metropolitan or similar, for around $3000 and up. This is very appealing from the point of view of quality and reliability and a dealer to support the product when needed, I would hope. It's just kind of a lot of $ for something that I'll probably use a few times a week in good weather, to scoot a mile or so to the grocery store or Ace or McDonald's. You might say it's a midlife crisis thing, not a necessity.

My brother is a Harley enthusiast; at one time he had 5 of them in his spacious garage (he's a very successful internist physician) but I think he's since gotten rid of most of them, and he tells me the roads are a lot more dangerous than a few years ago, owing to dumb drivers texting while in motion. My own wife texts me from the road occasionally and I refuse to respond, or will yell at her to get the H-E-double hockey sticks off her phone before she gets in an accident.

Any thoughts on a decent gasoline scooter for a few thou, for literally just having fun around the town, versus one of the new electric ones (but those are mostly from China) versus a moped? I'm not interested in an electric bike except as maybe a fun alternative to my real road bike which is plenty fun & great exercise. (Yeah, I know; I should just stick to cycling to work off some weight.)

Old 07-16-2023, 04:23 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Reviving an old-ish thread! I'm interested in getting a motor scooter for around town driving, no highway, no long commutes. This thread has some valuable info that I appreciate.

I was wondering if anyone has purchased from (or would recommend) an online scooter dealer "PowersportsMax.com (Maxpro llc)". I did check Better Business Bureau, which gives them an "F" rating (1.05 out of 5, based on 33 customer reviews). So I guess it's an importer of cheap Chinese vehicles and you takes your chances.

The alternative to a $1000 cheap Chinese import would be a local dealer selling a Honda Metropolitan or similar, for around $3000 and up. This is very appealing from the point of view of quality and reliability and a dealer to support the product when needed, I would hope. It's just kind of a lot of $ for something that I'll probably use a few times a week in good weather, to scoot a mile or so to the grocery store or Ace or McDonald's. You might say it's a midlife crisis thing, not a necessity.

My brother is a Harley enthusiast; at one time he had 5 of them in his spacious garage (he's a very successful internist physician) but I think he's since gotten rid of most of them, and he tells me the roads are a lot more dangerous than a few years ago, owing to dumb drivers texting while in motion. My own wife texts me from the road occasionally and I refuse to respond, or will yell at her to get the H-E-double hockey sticks off her phone before she gets in an accident.

Any thoughts on a decent gasoline scooter for a few thou, for literally just having fun around the town, versus one of the new electric ones (but those are mostly from China) versus a moped? I'm not interested in an electric bike except as maybe a fun alternative to my real road bike which is plenty fun & great exercise. (Yeah, I know; I should just stick to cycling to work off some weight.)
Don't make the mistake in thinking that a scooter in town isn't as dangerous as an HD out on the highways & byways. On a "per-mile" basis, in-town traffic is MUCH more risky than clicking off miles on a freeway. (Unless you ride like an idiot on the highway, then all bets are off.)

Ok, you want to ride during "good" weather. That's probably good, since we haven't the foggiest idea of your location.
Trying looking at "Cycle-Trader" for scooters near you. Anything's better than a biz w/ an "F" rating...

If you don't have your scooter/moto endorsement, then let's get that out of the way, BEFORE you go shopping for a scoot. (I like Vespa's, btw.)

Old 07-19-2023, 08:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
more info on your scooter needs would be desired.

Guy or gal makes a difference, (Do you want a step thru frame (conventional scooter), or a motorcycle type scooter?

Hauling supplies / groceries? (As I often do in Asia and Europe cities)

Maximum speed required? (Depends on your routes and distance)
Economy?

Personally... I really like my 'Trials' style motorcycles as a scooter alternative. (Very light, very economical, very fun, but NOT a scooter)

Do be advised and aware... scooter / motorcycle / bicycle can be a real PITA for dressing / undressing / helmet, bulky clothes, boots, strapping on supplies... just for errands... a dinky car is SO MUCH BETTER (and safer). heater, wipers, radio, seat belts

I have $35 dinky cars, but my least expensive motorcycle scooter is $300+
Tho many, many years as a rider, I drive more now (and since age 18).

Scooter is important in Thailand for traffic / parking. Plus it's really nice you can go the opposite direction on the shoulder of a one-way highway to save a lot of time, but is VERY dangerous. I se little advantage in USA, excluding very busy cities.

Old 07-20-2023, 07:15 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,926,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Don't make the mistake in thinking that a scooter in town isn't as dangerous as an HD out on the highways & byways. On a "per-mile" basis, in-town traffic is MUCH more risky than clicking off miles on a freeway. (Unless you ride like an idiot on the highway, then all bets are off.)

Ok, you want to ride during "good" weather. That's probably good, since we haven't the foggiest idea of your location.
Trying looking at "Cycle-Trader" for scooters near you. Anything's better than a biz w/ an "F" rating...

If you don't have your scooter/moto endorsement, then let's get that out of the way, BEFORE you go shopping for a scoot. (I like Vespa's, btw.)
Good to know. I'm in Massachusetts, by the way. Probably 4-5 months of decent riding weather, and the rest of the time it's rain, ice, or snow. They clear the roads pretty fast after snow, but black ice is a thing around here, and then of course there's those good old New England potholes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
more info on your scooter needs would be desired.

Guy or gal makes a difference, (Do you want a step thru frame (conventional scooter), or a motorcycle type scooter?

Hauling supplies / groceries? (As I often do in Asia and Europe cities)

Maximum speed required? (Depends on your routes and distance)
Economy?

Personally... I really like my 'Trials' style motorcycles as a scooter alternative. (Very light, very economical, very fun, but NOT a scooter)

Do be advised and aware... scooter / motorcycle / bicycle can be a real PITA for dressing / undressing / helmet, bulky clothes, boots, strapping on supplies... just for errands... a dinky car is SO MUCH BETTER (and safer). heater, wipers, radio, seat belts

I have $35 dinky cars, but my least expensive motorcycle scooter is $300+
Tho many, many years as a rider, I drive more now (and since age 18).

Scooter is important in Thailand for traffic / parking. Plus it's really nice you can go the opposite direction on the shoulder of a one-way highway to save a lot of time, but is VERY dangerous. I se little advantage in USA, excluding very busy cities.
I'm a male, and for now I'd like a step-through frame, more of an upright seated posture versus motorcycle or English racer style men's bicycle (I do have an English racer style bike and love to cycle).

Probably maximum 40 mph, but normally I would need no more than 35 and I think I'd feel safer at 25-28 around here. I will never go on any road higher than a 40 mph limit (of course there are plenty of motorists who ignore the speed limits). Probably 90% of the time I'd stick to roads with 30 mph speed limit, which is most of them in my town until you get onto the access road to the next town which rises to 40.

I've read that 50cc engines don't require the "M" on the license here in Massachusetts. Mopeds for example. But they cap the speed at 30 mph. A motorized bike or moped that can reach 40 mph is classified as "limited use motorcycle" requiring registration, inspection, insurance, & license. I can't find what a motor scooter is classified as, but I'm guessing it's identical to motorcycle.

Old 07-20-2023, 01:28 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,940,207 times
Don't get 50cc bikes. You will be bored in about 2 weeks with it. At least 150cc if all you do is in town riding. It has enough power to get out of trouble.

Old 07-20-2023, 08:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Good to know. I'm in Massachusetts,... of course there's those good old New England potholes.
I've read that 50cc engines don't require the "M" on the license here in Massachusetts. Mopeds for example. But they cap the speed at 30 mph. A motorized bike or moped that can reach 40 mph is classified as "limited use motorcycle" requiring registration, inspection, insurance, & license. I can't find what a motor scooter is classified as, but I'm guessing it's identical to motorcycle.
For potholes... bigger Dia tires the better !!! and decent suspension (longer travel)

Are you trying to avoid the "registration, inspection, insurance, & license."? or do you already have the above?

Ironically.... I'm trying to figure out what to do with a vintage 50cc step-through. (1965 'Pink' Lady Yamaha U5E). Mom bought it new.
https://www.rideapart.com/features/2...-scooter-find/

It belongs in a museum. (It even features Yamalube / auto injection)

Old 09-18-2023, 05:25 PM

977 posts, read 519,755 times
I don't like scooters, their small diameter wheels make them sorta twitchy and less stable compared to motorcycles. I ride eBikes, and would rather be hit by one of them than a 4,000 lb car w/ the driver on their cell phone. Jerks will be jerks though.

Funny thing about safety statistics. Back when the highways had their speed limits lowered from 65-70 to 55, traffic fatalities went UP. Looking at states that mandated helmets for motorcycle riders, motorcycle fatalities also went UP in those states.

I had a helmet save my life when a Chevy pulled across a highway and stalled in front of my Kawasaki, but would never mandate that people wear them, or not wear them. And bike helmets? Those are a joke, only a proper motorcycle type helmet offers any sort of safety. Bike helmets are notorious for being made of inferior, cheap materials w/ a design that leaves the back of your head totally exposed.

Old 09-20-2023, 06:30 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I don't like scooters, their small diameter wheels make them sorta twitchy and less stable compared to motorcycles. I ride eBikes, and would rather be hit by one of them than a 4,000 lb car w/ the driver on their cell phone. Jerks will be jerks though.

Funny thing about safety statistics. Back when the highways had their speed limits lowered from 65-70 to 55, traffic fatalities went UP. Looking at states that mandated helmets for motorcycle riders, motorcycle fatalities also went UP in those states.

I had a helmet save my life when a Chevy pulled across a highway and stalled in front of my Kawasaki, but would never mandate that people wear them, or not wear them. And bike helmets? Those are a joke, only a proper motorcycle type helmet offers any sort of safety. Bike helmets are notorious for being made of inferior, cheap materials w/ a design that leaves the back of your head totally exposed.
What are your thoughts of bikes like the Honda Trail 125 or the Honda Super Cub? The tire diameter is closer to being motorcycle size while having scooter size engine but with a traditional transmission instead of CVT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles