Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 03:41 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times

Advertisements

Yeah, they don't see "Look how raising taxes so far so fast is driving normal people into the poorhouse."

All they see is "Look how much money we brought into the county coffers!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 06:02 AM

57 posts, read 61,307 times
https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/mo...x-calculations

Old 10-19-2023, 03:52 PM

177 posts, read 125,026 times
My county finally has ours online. My assessment was an 40% increase in assessed value with a taxable value increase of 40%. Final tax bill went up by 9.4% after the county reduced the millage rate.

https://dailyinterlake.com/news/2023...hool-property/

Old 10-20-2023, 12:26 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
We live in Whatcom County Washington state and ours increased by 74%. Our elected assessor promised that she would assess property closer to true market value and she did. She is running unopposed this time. Elections have consequences. That doesn’t necessarily translate to higher property taxes but it will increase your insurance premiums.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:28 AM

1,663 posts, read 4,362,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNPV PSD View Post
My county finally has ours online. My assessment was an 40% increase in assessed value with a taxable value increase of 40%. Final tax bill went up by 9.4% after the county reduced the millage rate.

https://dailyinterlake.com/news/2023...hool-property/
I checked online this morning ... our estimate of 60% now shows it dropped to 30% for next month's billing in CFalls.

Still ridiculous, and have not heard anything in weeks regarding the protest we filed...

Old 10-25-2023, 10:30 AM

Met with a local assessor's office rep yesterday, along with the next door neighbor. Apparently we're the only 2 out of 19 owners here who bothered to protest our assessments.

Takeaways from our discussion:

Assessments aren't going down at this point ... just have to take the hit and pay it

Next cycle will be '24-'25 ... between now and then we can hope for a collapse in sales, prices, and valuations

Neighbors house is 2-story, ours is a ranch ... I had no idea that it was more spendy to build a ranch vs. a multi-story residence. So if you live in a ranch and your neighbor has multi story and they're about the same sq ft, it's likely you'll be paying more than them in taxes.

Still lots of dumb money chasing dumb prices - prices won't pull back significantly until enough buyers just say 'no' and sellers come to grips with reality

Old 10-25-2023, 11:00 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Neighbors house is 2-story, ours is a ranch ... I had no idea that it was more spendy to build a ranch vs. a multi-story residence. So if you live in a ranch and your neighbor has multi story and they're about the same sq ft, it's likely you'll be paying more than them in taxes.
Sounds like value is partly calculated on ground footprint, not just on living space.

There's a weird stickbuilt house up in Clarkston that's something like 18 feet wide and 150 feet long (not in a straight line, but it's only listed with 3 bedrooms and one garage). I wonder how the heck that would get calculated. <goes off, finds it on the cadastral> Holy crap, it's just been upvalued from $432k to $718k.

(You gotta wonder about some people. The lot had plenty of flat space. Guessing someone got a good deal on three kit houses and strung 'em end to end, which is what it looks like from the air.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Still lots of dumb money chasing dumb prices - prices won't pull back significantly until enough buyers just say 'no' and sellers come to grips with reality
Reality is gonna come for 'em, sooner or later. Just hope it's before we're all in the poorhouse.

Old 10-27-2023, 07:49 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
This is not meant to be mean or superior or anything but when your state has seen the in-migration of wealthy people, many of them very wealthy, this shouldn't come as a surprise................
When working for the Forest Service I always thought I would end up in Montana, but it didn't work out.

Here in eastern Washington we are being overun by wealthy urban refugees from Seattle fleeing their homes.

My assessment went up 200 percent for ONE YEAR. This for a 1800 square foot home with two bathrooms, no garage on ONE acre, off-grid with NO governmental services provided. We even have to plow the county road.

It is no fun to being unable to afford your home in your 70's due to taxes. It is happening everywhere in the rural west.

Old 11-07-2023, 09:11 AM

In the end, the neighbors got a $100k valuation decrease. No change for us ... 30% increase it is.

Old 11-09-2023, 07:24 AM

57 posts, read 61,307 times
https://bitterrootstar.com/2023/11/v...ce-hard-times/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana