Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 01:08 AM

2 posts, read 4,899 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I’m going to try to keep this as short and concise as possible, but I have a tendency to be long-winded. My wife will be a fully licensed social worker in a year and once she is fully licensed We plan on buying some property in Montana. We are both born and raised in Western Washington state, But to get 5+ acres and a small two bedroom home could easily run us north of $900,000. While I know Montana locals are very critical of the new shape their state has taken, Western Washington is completely off the deep end.

My wife will most likely work remotely from her job that is based in Washington state. I, her husband, will be looking for a new career and and honestly feel like I don’t know where to start. The areas I have looked in, and that seemed the most practical, would be anywhere outside of Billings; right now I commute an hour each way to Seattle for work, so the idea of a longer commute is just something I feel like I have to accept. The reason I chose Billings is because it’s the largest city and I feel like would provide the most opportunity. I wouldn’t want to live downtown Billings, but wish to use it as a satellite city for work, shopping, groceries, etc.

The Montana move is something that I decided years ago would be my dream. I’m 30 years old and unfortunately I’ve lost both my parents in this state as well as our unborn daughter. Not trying to give a sob story, just trying to convey that I’m serious about this and plan on dedicating the next two years to making this dream a reality. We are expecting our hopefully healthy boy in September, and I would love to raise him with a house and plot of land to pass on.

I currently run a restaurant in downtown Seattle, which is a great career for me. I see myself spending the next two years either going back to school or entering A certificate based program to make myself more employable in rural environment. I’m just asking if anyone has any tips on what’s in demand, or if there’s anything I can do to better my chances of finding gainful employment. I have never lived outside Western Washington so this is all very new to me.

I really appreciate anyone’s help and insight, thank you!

Last edited by Austnf; 04-07-2023 at 01:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2023, 09:23 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Thank you for sharing, I feel you gave the bullet points. Welcome.

I will say if you have experience in restaurant management, you can find work in MT. Most of the bars and restaurants cater to visitors- tourism is huge in the state.

Billings is part of the "bannana belt" of MT- an area warmer than average. The winters are less harsh. Billings also gets dumped on as the "roughest" city in MT but it's close enough to the fancier places.

Old 04-07-2023, 10:42 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
So... do you want 5 acres? Does it have to be 5 or would 1-2 do? Planning on using it for garden, livestock, horse, ATV? Ready and willing to do the maintenance? Are trees important? Cuz many of your choices near Billings will be: few or none.

Are you planning on buying upon move or renting for a year to be sure you want to stay? When is your first scouting trip?

Willing to commute 10 miles, 25 or more? Housing budget?

Billings crime rate is high for Montana. For a commuter, risks of auto theft and robbery. Check your tolerance level.

Use Google street view to get first looks at area around Laurel, Park City, Ballantine, Huntley, etc.

Employment advice, talk with a expert at state employment office or private job recruiting agency.

Read the Billings Gazette. Headlines or subscribe.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-07-2023 at 11:10 AM..

Old 04-07-2023, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
So... do you want 5 acres? Does it have to be 5 or would 1-2 do? Planning on using it for garden, livestock, horse, ATV? Ready and willing to do the maintenance? Are trees important? Cuz many of your choices near Billings will be: few or none.

Are you planning on buying upon move or renting for a year to be sure you want to stay? When is your first scouting trip?

Willing to commute 10 miles, 25 or more? Housing budget?

Billings crime rate is high for Montana. For a commuter, risks of auto theft and robbery. Check your tolerance level.

Use Google street view to get first looks at area around Laurel, Park City, Ballantine, Huntley, etc.

Employment advice, talk with a expert at state employment office or private job recruiting agency.

Read the Billings Gazette. Headlines or subscribe.
So I'm looking for a range between 2-5 acres. Without getting into politics or the nitty gritty of this, I am a firearms enthusiast, and it is my dream to have a small shooting pit on my property. Just like MT, WA is filled with BLM land, but it'd be awesome if I could shoot right outside my house.

We are driving through Montana next month, specifically through Missoula, Great Falls, Stevensville, then around Billings.

I have a daily 60 mile day commute, so I am willing to go further than that. I feel like that is just a sacrifice I have to make if I want to live in Montana.

Thank you so much for those recommendations, I am familiar with Park City and Ballantine. Columbus appears to be a contender, too.

Thanks so much for you response!

Old 04-11-2023, 11:10 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
When visiting Great Falls I'd add the towns of Cascade, Fort Benton and Belt. Having a shooting range/pit on your property will either ****-off your neighbors, or you'll likely need more than 2 acres to be far enough away from them that they won't hear you as much. Anyway, not much for trees in the area, but Great Falls tends to be one of the lesser expensive areas around a bigger Montana city. There are many public shooting ranges, and of course open government land, you can shoot on and not bother your neighbors.

Anyway, your 5 acre property, that most people would want to live on, with a 2/3 bedroom house might still be costing you close to that $900K in much of Montana. Rural site development and construction is pretty expensive. Good Luck and best wishes.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ft-87120/sby-1

Edit: Another area you might want to do some research on before your visit would be the Dillon, MT area and the greater Beaverhead Valley region. Lots of small towns in the area, with Dillon as a slightly bigger small town as the hub. If you buy to the north of town you might be able to make Butte your work/hub town.

Last edited by ejisme; 04-11-2023 at 12:12 PM..

Old 04-11-2023, 01:44 PM

454 posts, read 305,449 times
Columbus might be a good fit for you, or Acton north of Billings. Acton is closer to Billings, and a lot fewer people.

Land in Montana is a little strang because the larger the acreage, the better the price. You can get 40 or 50 acres in some places for much less than a 2 acre housesite in a subdivision.

Land around Broadview about 25 miles north of Billings is a lot cheaper than land along the I-90 corridor.

Land within commuting distance of Billings is much cheaper than any ground you'll find in the Flathead or Bitterroot.

Old 04-12-2023, 12:41 PM

57 posts, read 61,307 times
Million just to buy land(5 acres or more) and build house. Sewer and water source is another expense.

Old 04-12-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby B View Post
Million just to buy land(5 acres or more) and build house. Sewer and water source is another expense.
True, land, site prep, and construction are expensive and from what I hear there is about a two year waiting list for new construction in most areas. Below is likely pretty much the perfect property for the OP if he can jump on it soon.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M98119-55120

Old 04-12-2023, 02:42 PM

Austnf,

I don't want you to think we are all negative about you moving to Montana, but I think most of us are just being realistic about the costs. We don't know your budget, or if you have lots of money available for a move like this. It's two years out, so the economy and costs may change during that time.

You mentioned you manage a restaurant, and that it's a great career for you. Then you state you will spend the next two years getting ready for a new career. Why not stay in restaurant management? Missoula, Great Falls and Billings do have restaurants and I'd guess a few will need managers with experience. I couldn't guess what the pay would be, but at least you wouldn't be starting at the bottom again.

If not restaurant work, then what type of work are you interested in? Are you looking to go back to school to finish a BS/BA degree, or just starting out with a college education now and open to pretty much anything? You've got to figure out what you are willing to do to make this Montana dream come true. Once you figure out what extremes you and your wife will be willing to endure for a successful future, then you can really start to plan your two years worth of work towards a successful Montana move. Since your wife will likely continue to work remote, are you wanting to work remote too, or do you want to go in and be around other people for work? The pandemic taught me I'd probably not like fulltime remote work, so maybe you're that way too.

There are lots of web sites that will list job opportunities in Montana towns or fully remote positions. Explore what's hiring in Montana and remote. Check out the unions that are present in Montana and see what requirements there are to get your apprenticeship or other requirements. There are oil refineries in Great Falls and Billings. Rail yards, shipping, CDL Truck driving local and long haul. I'm sure many more trades jobs if you are interested in plumbing, electrical, HVAC, etc. All likely leading to good paying, pretty secure jobs.

It's good you are going to visit soon, but I'd suggest visiting again next winter once you pick your probable town. Visiting Missoula, Great Falls or Billings in the winter will give you a different perspective than June/July.

Old 04-12-2023, 10:39 PM

177 posts, read 125,026 times
Be sure to factor in the income tax your wife will need to pay MT as opposed to zero in WA.

I hope it works out for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana