Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 03:21 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times

Advertisements

OP, You're still looking for places within commute distance of a large metro area, so you can advance your career? One with four seasons too? Would you be happy outside KC, Cleveland, Detroit, maybe Dayton, OH to be between Cleveland and Cincinnati?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2023, 04:47 PM

136 posts, read 153,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
OP, You're still looking for places within commute distance of a large metro area, so you can advance your career? One with four seasons too? Would you be happy outside KC, Cleveland, Detroit, maybe Dayton, OH to be between Cleveland and Cincinnati?

Actually the cleveland area intrigues me because wv real estate is pretty low. Could do morgantown. Nice and forested area.

Old 03-03-2023, 07:29 AM

1,663 posts, read 4,362,313 times
I was born in Cleveland but family moved when I was 2, so I don't remember much. Mom always made a point to emphasize how gloomy the Winters were. There's some beautiful countryside in rural Ohio and mountains somewhat close by in WV. Might be worth a trip to check things out sometime.

Old 03-07-2023, 08:36 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
Actually the cleveland area intrigues me because wv real estate is pretty low. Could do morgantown. Nice and forested area.
Don't understand- you're thinking about living in WV and looking at the Cleveland area for work?

I've lived in both of the states, btw.

Old 03-07-2023, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Don't understand- you're thinking about living in WV and looking at the Cleveland area for work?

I've lived in both of the states, btw.
You are correct. I meant Cincinatti

Old 03-08-2023, 08:57 AM

910 posts, read 1,081,380 times
If you don't want to deal with bugs or snakes, you can forget about the entirety of the Southeast. I've lived in Florida, Alabama, and spent a considerable amount of time in Georgia and the surrounding states. Snakes, Roaches the size of hummingbirds, and Gators sum up the whole area. You can also forget about 4 seasons, unless those seasons are hurricane, tornado, pressure cooker, and ice storm.

The problem with the rust belt states is the fact that the major metropolitan areas are in serious decline, which is spilling over to the outside communities. This trend is only going to worsen. Right now, no one has the courage to address the issues. All that being said, I would still go the route of finding a job, and then going from there. Let that narrow down the list. Just jumping on cheap land can backfire if you arn't careful. I have a close friend that moved to Kentucky on a whim and is now going to take a huge hit when he sells. The property was cheap because the largest employer in the area was shutting down, now the bottom has fallen out of the market. His neighbors are horrible, shots have literally been fired already. They wanted to relocate from Montana to somewhere warmer and cheaper, they got both, but at a huge cost.

Old 03-09-2023, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
If you don't want to deal with bugs or snakes, you can forget about the entirety of the Southeast. I've lived in Florida, Alabama, and spent a considerable amount of time in Georgia and the surrounding states. Snakes, Roaches the size of hummingbirds, and Gators sum up the whole area. You can also forget about 4 seasons, unless those seasons are hurricane, tornado, pressure cooker, and ice storm.

The problem with the rust belt states is the fact that the major metropolitan areas are in serious decline, which is spilling over to the outside communities. This trend is only going to worsen. Right now, no one has the courage to address the issues. All that being said, I would still go the route of finding a job, and then going from there. Let that narrow down the list. Just jumping on cheap land can backfire if you arn't careful. I have a close friend that moved to Kentucky on a whim and is now going to take a huge hit when he sells. The property was cheap because the largest employer in the area was shutting down, now the bottom has fallen out of the market. His neighbors are horrible, shots have literally been fired already. They wanted to relocate from Montana to somewhere warmer and cheaper, they got both, but at a huge cost.

Wow, makes it sound not so bad around here.

Old 03-09-2023, 12:25 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
I remember fishing with my son in Oklahoma City many years ago. We were on the floating dock in the pond/lake. Water Moccasins would pop their heads out of the water and hiss at us as they swam by. They couldn't seem to get up on that dock, so we felt safe, but I wouldn't want to fish from the shoreline!!!

We had a new construction house in OKC, so no roaches to start with. Had the window open before the builder came by and added the screens. Twice flying roaches came flying right in the kitchen window. It was interesting. Then about two years in the fire ants set up a colony in the back yard that we had to get rid of. First place I'd seen fireflies. They were pretty cool though.

Great Falls does have its charms. What eventually drove us out was how LONG the winter hangs on. Winter from Oct to Mar is fine, but then I want spring weather, and not just a random week here and there. Outside of Spokane might be a good slightly warmer option. The Willamette Valley in Oregon will hit your four seasons requirement. It's a damp fall, winter, spring, vs. cold, dark and windy. Plus, the Pacific Northwest is pretty much disturbing bug and snake free.

Old 03-09-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I remember fishing with my son in Oklahoma City many years ago. We were on the floating dock in the pond/lake. Water Moccasins would pop their heads out of the water and hiss at us as they swam by. They couldn't seem to get up on that dock, so we felt safe, but I wouldn't want to fish from the shoreline!!!

We had a new construction house in OKC, so no roaches to start with. Had the window open before the builder came by and added the screens. Twice flying roaches came flying right in the kitchen window. It was interesting. Then about two years in the fire ants set up a colony in the back yard that we had to get rid of. First place I'd seen fireflies. They were pretty cool though.

Great Falls does have its charms. What eventually drove us out was how LONG the winter hangs on. Winter from Oct to Mar is fine, but then I want spring weather, and not just a random week here and there. Outside of Spokane might be a good slightly warmer option. The Willamette Valley in Oregon will hit your four seasons requirement. It's a damp fall, winter, spring, vs. cold, dark and windy. Plus, the Pacific Northwest is pretty much disturbing bug and snake free.
I really like the Post Falls area until things started getting too expensive.

Old 03-10-2023, 12:27 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:

This is why I live where it's cold. Though the deer flies and mosquitoes can get pretty wicked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana