Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 6,980 times

Advertisements

I was born in cape girardeau, but lived in Jackson. I left at an early age. I’ve lived outside MO for 20 years and know a lot has changed. I’m in the army and currently looking to get out. My wife and I would like to move back to Missouri and are wondering if the Jackson area would be worth it.

I’ve been reading a lot of posts pertaining to this area. I see a lot of people generally do not like Cape. I saw someone say that they are cold to outsiders. Would I technically be considered an outsider? Would my wife and I have trouble warming the locals up? We are outgoing and friendly. We like the outdoors and do not mind a long drive to get to experience something new or different, even if it is for a weekend. I know we are close to Memphis, St. Louis, Branson, and Springfield. Other towns I know I cannot think of to list at the moment would be worth a visit, too.

I really do want to move back to missouri. Preferably where I am from. However, we are open to just about anywhere. I understand cape is awfully different than rest of the state. So is KC, St. Louis, Springfield. I have moved around a lot. Quite frankly, I do not fit in to the most recent towns I’ve lived in. Just to them being so far in the deep south. I was raised by people from Arkansas, and having lived in southeast MO for a time, consider myself southern. It’s just, I’ve never wanted to settle down in any of them. I can accept being an outsider no matter where I live, that has just been the way it’s been. I cannot stop thinking about moving back to Missouri. I have shown my wife some of Missouri as I always make it my mission to show her while we are on leave or on a PCS move. The only negative experience we had was with a couple in the waiting line for Lamberts in sikeston. My wife could not believe how unfriendly people were there. Lamberts was delicious, though. We used to go their a lot to eat growing up.

I’d like to have a small acreage to develope after my service. We do not care much for the expensive malls or restaurants, but will utilize them should they be close. We enjoy fish, seafood, bbq and most restaurants we have eaten at while in Missouri. I will have geospatial and the army as my career background. St. Louis suburbs is an obvious choice. I would appreciate any and all feedback.

I apologize for the punctuation butchering in this post. I am in the car, talking to my while typing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 05:49 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
I can't imagine you would have too much trouble in Cape or Jackson, there are plenty of people that grew up elsewhere that live there. I grew up there as well.

Land may be difficult to come by unless you go to a neighboring county, but that may change as the real estate market changes over the next year or two, who knows?

I wish I could be more help, but it sounds like it could be a good fit for you. It sounds like you have visited a decent amount of the years but maybe spending a week or so in the area would be beneficial before you make your final decision?

Old 06-12-2021, 06:31 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
I was in Poplar Bluff in my younger years, moved away and then moved back in the late 80's. At that time, Cape wasn't a problem. I moved away again for several years and when I decided to move back to Mo., about the only negative thing I heard was to stay away from places like St. Genevieve and Bonne Terre because they are not friendly to people that didn't go to the schools there.
We decided to move to Branson and will soon be moving to Ozark just up the road about half an hour close to Springfield. I've found the people in these areas to be friendly and open minded. Good restaurants in Ozark and Springfield. Good entertainment in Branson. Good medical in Springfield. Lots of lakes. Pretty much anything you're into, it's close by over this way.
By the way, Ozark has a fantastic Lamberts and the people are friendly.
The majority of my family lives on the east side of Mo. ranging from St. Louis to the Bootheel so I'm close enough to them but not too close

Old 06-15-2021, 12:54 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
I have lived in different parts of Missouri most of my life. In one small town, the locals would not even speak to outsiders, Never had that problem anywhere else in the state.

Old 06-30-2021, 04:50 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Heck, I moved to a rural area outside of Poplar Bluff, from California of all places. Now if people were going to be rude, you would think it would be to a Californian wouldn’t you. Hell, everyone I meet is friendly.
Folks around here have great respect for the Military, you moving back home after serving your country will be welcomed with open arms

Old 07-06-2021, 07:37 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Heck, I moved to a rural area outside of Poplar Bluff, from California of all places. Now if people were going to be rude, you would think it would be to a Californian wouldn’t you. Hell, everyone I meet is friendly.
Folks around here have great respect for the Military, you moving back home after serving your country will be welcomed with open arms
As it should be.

Old 01-08-2023, 07:56 PM

151 posts, read 459,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Hello. I am from Chicago and I have been on this forum for many years. I am always looking for places to relocate to. I can't handle Chicago anymore, but I have an aging mother. I have heard of people relocating to Missouri from California and even from Illinois. How do you like Missouri so far?

Old 03-20-2023, 12:43 AM

12 posts, read 11,395 times
Moving back to Missouri can be a great opportunity to start fresh. Cities like St. Louis and Springfield offer diverse communities, so you'll fit in no matter your background. Additionally, the real estate market in MO is very competitive, making it easier to find a home that fits your needs and budget.

Old 03-24-2023, 06:12 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina Adam View Post
Moving back to Missouri can be a great opportunity to start fresh. Cities like St. Louis and Springfield offer diverse communities, so you'll fit in no matter your background. Additionally, the real estate market in MO is very competitive, making it easier to find a home that fits your needs and budget.
Move 20-30 miles away from the cities and real estate takes a huge drop in price.

Old 03-30-2023, 11:09 AM

685 posts, read 766,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina Adam View Post
It's competitive for locals. But not for outsiders from higher-wage areas. They will easily be able to outbid the locals due to the low housing prices here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri