Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 09:37 AM

4 posts, read 18,601 times

Advertisements

Dave, yes we have taken a look at Spokane and CDA/Post Falls area. Spokane is a definite spot of we can't get things going in the Bitteroot and is our second choice. We really feel in love with the BV though and hope to be able to settle there. Semper Fidelis.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,641 times
The wife and I looked for the last 5 years at many options as I've gotten closer to retirement and we've decided on Hamilton.
We both have family in the area which moved the needle for us. I looked a CDA(We both really like Northern ID) but I really think MT is a little cheaper overall. Our place closes in a few weeks and then we'll get busy bugging out of Portland....I won't miss the traffic or the gawd awful property tax. EX Coastie here but had many great interaction with the marines Semper Paratus / Semper Fidelis :-)

Old 01-09-2018, 02:58 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salttybomber View Post
The wife and I looked for the last 5 years at many options as I've gotten closer to retirement and we've decided on Hamilton.
We both have family in the area which moved the needle for us. I looked a CDA(We both really like Northern ID) but I really think MT is a little cheaper overall. Our place closes in a few weeks and then we'll get busy bugging out of Portland....I won't miss the traffic or the gawd awful property tax. EX Coastie here but had many great interaction with the marines Semper Paratus / Semper Fidelis :-)
I hope you are aware ALL the other posts in this Thread are FROM APRIL 2016!!!!!

Old 06-03-2018, 07:01 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
Spending the weekend in Stevensville helping at a church function. First time visiting the Bitteroot Valley, and I must say that it is incredibly beautiful. I can understand people wanting to move here.

But . . . be sure to bring your bug spray. Those skeeters are relentless.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-09-2018, 08:07 PM

1,080 posts, read 836,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminszhere View Post
Kalispell, a liberal stronghold???

Not in this lifetime.
I found that to be odd/humorous, as well. As far as I can tell Kalispell is a very conservative place. Nearby Whitefish might be more liberal, but not Kalispell.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:46 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
I found that to be odd/humorous, as well. As far as I can tell Kalispell is a very conservative place. Nearby Whitefish might be more liberal, but not Kalispell.
You won't find much more extreme conservatism outside of Kalispell and most of western Montana unless you go to Idaho, Utah, or the South.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:34 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times
I lived in the Bitteroot Valley (Stevensville) from 2006 - 2008. I worked at a retail establishment in Missoula (that retail company is now closed) for employment while I lived there. The effects of the housing "boom" were evident as many, many people from out of state were cashing out in their home states and moving there (the housing crash had not yet occurred. This was pre-September 2008, during the pumped-up housing "too big to fail" time period). There was not a lot of good paying jobs to be had, relative to the high cost of property, which had been driven up significantly by the influx of real estate cash-rich out of staters.

Now, this was a decade ago. Things may have changed. I will tell you that Missoula, and the Bitteroot Valley is (surprisingly?) liberal. Perhaps this is due to the University presence or the influx of liberal leaning Californians, but even the native Montanans that I met were of a liberal mindset. They were also good and giving people. HOWEVER, for the most part, they were somewhat innocent and naive, and had never experienced the DOWN SIDES of liberal policies. They grew up in in an isolated, very white bread world.

The state was the "whitest' in the nation, and may still be, with very little actual diversity, and few effects of illegal immigration were seen in the area during the years I was there. I tend to think it is easy to be "liberal" when you personally are not affected, or have not seen the negative, down sides of liberal leaning policies that will effect you and change your way of life.

The Bitteroot is beautiful and serene, but feels "cut off" from the REAL world. At least it did to me. If that is your desire, you will enjoy it. These days, however, there is a hefty price tag to be paid in that for the privilege of owning property and living there.

I had to leave and return to the "real world", here in the South, with all of it's social ills, but I was in need of it's cheap property taxes and cost of living.

Good luck.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I lived in the Bitteroot Valley (Stevensville) from 2006 - 2008. I worked at a retail establishment in Missoula (that retail company is now closed) for employment while I lived there. The effects of the housing "boom" were evident as many, many people from out of state were cashing out in their home states and moving there (the housing crash had not yet occurred. This was pre-September 2008, during the pumped-up housing "too big to fail" time period). There was not a lot of good paying jobs to be had, relative to the high cost of property, which had been driven up significantly by the influx of real estate cash-rich out of staters.

Now, this was a decade ago. Things may have changed. I will tell you that Missoula, and the Bitteroot Valley is (surprisingly?) liberal. Perhaps this is due to the University presence or the influx of liberal leaning Californians, but even the native Montanans that I met were of a liberal mindset. They were also good and giving people. HOWEVER, for the most part, they were somewhat innocent and naive, and had never experienced the DOWN SIDES of liberal policies. They grew up in in an isolated, very white bread world.

The state was the "whitest' in the nation, and may still be, with very little actual diversity, and few effects of illegal immigration were seen in the area during the years I was there. I tend to think it is easy to be "liberal" when you personally are not affected, or have not seen the negative, down sides of liberal leaning policies that will effect you and change your way of life.

The Bitteroot is beautiful and serene, but feels "cut off" from the REAL world. At least it did to me. If that is your desire, you will enjoy it. These days, however, there is a hefty price tag to be paid in that for the privilege of owning property and living there.

I had to leave and return to the "real world", here in the South, with all of it's social ills, but I was in need of it's cheap property taxes and cost of living.

Good luck.
There are a lot of liberals there but I found the extreme right wing crowd to be much harder to deal with. Very in your face. I don't like extremists from either side but they seemed louder.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:50 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,005,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

Good luck.
Don't ever come to the San Francisco Bay area. We have got everything here. Very extreme it is like Star Trek. We have every kind of life form here that it's crazy.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Don't ever come to the San Francisco Bay area. We have got everything here. Very extreme it is like Star Trek. We have every kind of life form here that it's crazy.
You still haven't escaped California huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula