Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 10:07 AM

310 posts, read 386,835 times

Advertisements

What's ridiculous is that I owed $60 on my 2022 Mississippi taxes and it was such an insignificant amount that I completely forgot about it. Then, last month I received a letter stating that they were putting a lien against me for not paying the $60 in state tax. I thought it was some kind of joke because you have record welfare fraud, notoriously corrupt politicians and people like Brett Favre scamming the state of out of millions and I'm being threatened because I didn't pay $60?!?!

So, I went online to the DOR site and begrudgingly paid it and didn't think anything else about it. Well, apparently they didn't update the records because my job's finance department contacted me about a letter they received from the state trying to garnish my wages for $80 ($60+ what they considered interest/fines/fees)!!! I showed them my zero balance but I'm still stunned that the state is going to waste those kind of resources on "little folk" like me for less than $100. I could see if it was $600 or $6000, but all this because of $60 really shows how screwed up our department of revenue is!!!

You know what they say: Don't cheat the government, they hate competition!

Anyway, I'll be retiring in a few years and will happily relocate abroad as this country is quickly going to hell in a hand-basket!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 02:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Whether it's state tax, county or city, there are bureaucrats working there that will go about their work and not care about the amount, just follow their procedures. For a public agency any "gift of funds" is unlawful, so they have to do whatever is required to collect. Unfortunately they also have people that make mistakes, as in your case not updating the payment.

I'm in commercial real estate and we received a foreclosure notice in October for 2022 county taxes on a parcel that we sold in 2020, their mistake for not recording it properly. This is a lot more common that one would expect.

Old 12-07-2023, 02:50 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Going after small people is easy and low risk.

Going after people who owe $100,000 , you're liable to run into someone who knows someone, and suddenly their boss is asking them why they're abusing this upstanding citizen.

Old 12-07-2023, 03:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

Going after people who owe $100,000 , you're liable to run into someone who knows someone, and suddenly their boss is asking them why they're abusing this upstanding citizen.
Yes, the theory of "Low hanging fruit."

Old 12-08-2023, 06:42 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Quote:

^^^this is a wise man or woman.

Old 12-08-2023, 09:07 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
I dunno.
Moving out of the country because of an unfair $60 charge seems a little extreme to me. But I'd be real interested in finding out which country the OP is going to, where bureaucrats are supposed to be so darn attentive and fair.

Old 12-09-2023, 09:08 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Quote:

You'll see the State Auditor, Shad White, go after a 60 year old grandmother state employee who fudged a little on OT, but I haven't seen him go after anyone involved with the state welfare scandal nor the constant shenanigans that go on in Jxn and Canton City government. Remember the "Beef Plant" from the early 2000s? As far as I know, no state leaders ever faced any consequences for that boondoggle.

Old 12-10-2023, 07:10 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I dunno.
Moving out of the country because of an unfair $60 charge seems a little extreme to me. But I'd be real interested in finding out which country the OP is going to, where bureaucrats are supposed to be so darn attentive and fair.
I suspect its one of those "tipping point" things, and I can see the op's viewpoint. It's an accumulation of things day after day after day. Its gotten to the point where I've had to swear off reading ANY news besides the sports. I do still read the Hawaii paper because that state is as poorly run as Ms and I don't live there anymore, and I very much enjoy reading the news from Albuquerque because the crime ran me out of there, so every day is validation day for that!

When I did still live in Hi, I remember sitting outside a Hilo coffee house one day when a guy at the next table threw his newspaper on the ground and sighed "I'm just going to go back to worrying about whether the surf is up or not." That was a wise man.

Old 12-10-2023, 09:01 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
I know $60 seems small. But, if one million people owe $60 dollars then that's $60 million dollars.

They go after big and small because they have employees with different skill levels and different levels of experience. The guy starting out with $60 will be working on bigger dollar problems later on. Who knows, he may handle $10 to $500,000 now.

Old 12-12-2023, 11:12 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Grandma got run over by a tax lien.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
View detailed profiles of: