Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2023, 11:28 PM

48 posts, read 84,516 times

Advertisements

Does Cleveland have many integrated neighborhoods or do neighborhoods break down in race and class divides? Tia to all who reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2023, 04:03 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,020,447 times
The west side of town is 80% white and the east side is 10%. This is because of historical segregation but yes black people do live on the west side of town now. Still overwhelmingly white

Old 09-21-2023, 10:43 PM

1,031 posts, read 560,568 times
This happens everywhere, even in San Francisco, Ca. When I lived there, the Hispanics lived in the Mission, the Italians in North Beach, the Chinese in China Town and the Avenues, the Japanese in Japan-town, and the Blacks in the Fillmore. People like to live among people like themselves, so even when segregation is not enforced they seem to do it themselves.

Old 09-22-2023, 09:37 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,020,447 times
Mississippi delta segregation is a whole nother beast. But still, I think the people mostly get along, or at least pretend to

Old 09-23-2023, 01:42 PM

631 posts, read 290,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
This happens everywhere, even in San Francisco, Ca. When I lived there, the Hispanics lived in the Mission, the Italians in North Beach, the Chinese in China Town and the Avenues, the Japanese in Japan-town, and the Blacks in the Fillmore. People like to live among people like themselves, so even when segregation is not enforced they seem to do it themselves.
Great post, reflecting basic human truths. And it doesn’t even mean anything bad. It’s not as if an African American couldn’t sit down to enjoy some boat sushi in Japantown. On the contrary, a visitor to Japantown is treated to a touch of authentic Japanese cuisine (and culture), precisely because it is insulated as a little urban ethnic island.

Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM

784 posts, read 1,359,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Disagree about SF being segreagated. Sure there were districts that had their own ethnic makeup back in the day but not segregated.
I grew up there beginning in the late 50s- 1980s when I moved away
I am black and lived in both the filmore (late 50s), Mission (1960s-70s) Filmore/Haight (late 70s-80d)
I did not feel segregated anywhere in the city. Comfortable going anywhere anytime and had friends that were white, hispanic, asian and black and went to school with diverse racial groups throughout my years in the city with no problem.
Socially, I ate and slept over all my friend's houses and they at mine. We went to church together and attended the same public parks and swimming pools. I have life-long friends of many races that I made attending the SF Boys Club.

I doubt segregated Cleveland compares.

Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM

784 posts, read 1,359,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Mississippi delta segregation is a whole nother beast. But still, I think the people mostly get along, or at least pretend to
Today, I met a 21 yr old black female that lived her entire life in Cleveland Ms.
We spoke for nearly an hour about her and her parent's experience growing up there.
She described how segregated the place is and that just in recent years have the public schools been integrated.
She described the 'tracks' that divided the black community from the whites in the classic fashion found in the south of yesteryear.
Cleveland like much of Miss. seems to be the last bastion of 'Dixieland' that still exists in America

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,903,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Today, I met a 21 yr old black female that lived her entire life in Cleveland Ms.
We spoke for nearly an hour about her and her parent's experience growing up there.
She described how segregated the place is and that just in recent years have the public schools been integrated.
She described the 'tracks' that divided the black community from the whites in the classic fashion found in the south of yesteryear.
Cleveland like much of Miss. seems to be the last bastion of 'Dixieland' that still exists in America
As far a school "integration" goes, she may have been telling you what she thought you wanted to hear, or she was trying to stay in the narrative. Here's the school integration issue. Until recently Cleveland had two high schools, one almost all black and one that was more or less 50/50 black/white. A federal judge ordered the two high schools to be consolidated. Now there is one high school and it is nearly all black. Kind of the opposite of integration...? There were several black city leaders against the consolidation of the two high schools as they knew it would destroy the last good public high school system in the Delta. The private schools love it though.

Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM

3,480 posts, read 2,817,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
As far a school "integration" goes, she may have been telling you what she thought you wanted to hear, or she was trying to stay in the narrative. Here's the school integration issue. Until recently Cleveland had two high schools, one almost all black and one that was more or less 50/50 black/white. A federal judge ordered the two high schools to be consolidated. Now there is one high school and it is nearly all black. Kind of the opposite of integration...? There were several black city leaders against the consolidation of the two high schools as they knew it would destroy the last good public high school system in the Delta. The private schools love it though.
Alumni of both Cleveland High (the allegedly white school, but in reality close to 50-50 white/black) and East Side High were against the consolidation. Blacks have moved into west Cleveland over the decades. There really is no all-white neighborhood in Cleveland anymore. Nor is there a business that only caters to whites. I know a black family who sent their daughters to the local private school.

Last edited by Suesbal; Yesterday at 03:29 PM..

Old Today, 10:15 AM

1,719 posts, read 1,997,539 times
Probably wouldn't have ever mattered had the schools been bigger. Cleveland Central is now, even after consolidation, just a 5A school out of 1A-7A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
View detailed profiles of: