Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 08:29 AM

4 posts, read 28,575 times

Advertisements

Just found out my husband's office is closing and relocating to Memphis. We previously lived in Memphis for 12 years and left. Now we have to move back but not for about a year or so. What are the differences between extreme northern Mississppi and Tennessee? I remember TN had no state tax out of your paycheck. What are the tax benefits/differences between residing in either state? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 09:32 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Based on a study done a few years ago by the U of Memphis, it is a percentage point or two cheaper to live in TN. That does not reflect the school situation that is happening in Shelby county and the related property taxes.

When we moved to the area, we chose Southaven because of the crime rate. I was willing to pay more for the safety.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:33 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times
I agree on the tax issue, there was a study from University of Memphis that showed Tennessee was slightly favored, with lower income taxes but higher property and sales taxes. To achieve that outcome, they had to make some assumptions about the cost of your house, etc. And it didn't considered schools or safety. If they had slightly adjusted some of those assumptions, the outcomes would have gone the other way.

What I took away from it is that if your house is relatively small compared to your income, you're better off in TN. If you want a larger house for your income level, then you're better off in MS. Either way, the differences in hard dollars are not that large. And besides safety and schools, they didn't factor in prices. In Mississippi you can buy lots of land and whole lot of house for the dollar.

My thought is if you're making say $200k per year and live in a $175k house, and living in a place like Bartlett (low housing prices, low taxes), you're better off there due to lower income taxes. If you have a $200k income and a $500k house, you're better off in MS (lower property and sales taxes and low property and housing prices). If you have investment income you are also better off in MS I believe.

If public schools are an issue, some of the highest rated schools in MS are in DeSoto County (Lewisburg, DeSoto Central, Hernando, Center Hill). And if I wanted some acreage (e.g. 2 to 3 acres), I would definitely select MS over TN. If I wanted to be in the fanciest area, I would pick Germantown which has the highest standards around zoning, sign and landscaping ordinances, very nice shopping etc). In MS, Hernando has the nicest city planning by far.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:03 PM

4 posts, read 28,575 times
Thanks all. I moved to Indiana from Lakeland, TN about 6 years ago for my husband's job and now we are having to move back. I will not have school age children anymore (college at this point) so schooling isn't as big an issue as it was in the past. However, it DOES factor into the purchase for when we eventually sell it. We will be looking to downsize for sure, even a nice condo would work. I've heard horror stories about the Shelby County school system...people leaving Lakeland left and right because of it. I like Germantown and Collierville. Not a big fan of Arlington, Bartlett or Cordova. My husband will be working at the airport.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:25 PM

164 posts, read 282,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzelle25 View Post
Thanks all. I moved to Indiana from Lakeland, TN about 6 years ago for my husband's job and now we are having to move back. I will not have school age children anymore (college at this point) so schooling isn't as big an issue as it was in the past. However, it DOES factor into the purchase for when we eventually sell it. We will be looking to downsize for sure, even a nice condo would work. I've heard horror stories about the Shelby County school system...people leaving Lakeland left and right because of it. I like Germantown and Collierville. Not a big fan of Arlington, Bartlett or Cordova. My husband will be working at the airport.
not a fan of ms. Lakeland may far from airport. Collierville is right now hot spot for FedEx employmes.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:59 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzelle25 View Post
It takes me less than 20 minutes to get from my house near the Snowden Grove Amphitheater to the airport at non-peak hours. The distance is right at 12 miles.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:01 AM

367 posts, read 817,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
It takes me less than 20 minutes to get from my house near the Snowden Grove Amphitheater to the airport at non-peak hours. The distance is right at 12 miles.
Yeah, it's really easy to live in MS - Southaven, Olive Branch, heck, even as far out as Hernando and Nesbit - and work at the airport. Commute is nothing at all.

MS is fine. Parts of Shelby County are fine. Either way you can find a nice place to live.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:32 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,659,671 times
I would take TN any day over MS.

Old 08-06-2023, 09:59 PM

9 posts, read 11,552 times
Why?

Old 08-07-2023, 09:30 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
I In MS, Hernando has the nicest city planning by far.
I don't know a ton about this area, but have had business in Hernando a dozen times over the past three years and love the town. I'd probably move there if I had a reason to live in North MS. It's going to be 20ish miles to the airport, I have no idea of the traffic situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi