Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 03:28 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy_ed View Post
update for poncho do your research cause lead only stays in ur blood for a short period of time before leaving your body however the damage that it causes stays with you forever.
You have no clue....

Quote:
Shortly after lead gets into your body, it travels in the blood to the "soft tissues" and organs (such as the liver, kidneys, lungs, brain, spleen, muscles, and heart). After several weeks, most of the lead moves into your bones and teeth. In adults, about 94% of the total amount of lead in the body is contained in the bones and teeth. About 73% of the lead in children's bodies is stored in their bones. Some of the lead can stay in your bones for decades; however, some lead can leave your bones and reenter your blood and organs under certain circumstances (e.g., during pregnancy and periods of breast feeding, after a bone is broken, and during advancing age).

Your body does not change lead into any other form. Once it is taken in and distributed to your organs, the lead that is not stored in your bones leaves your body in your urine or your feces. About 99% of the amount of lead taken into the body of an adult will leave in the waste within a couple of weeks, but only about 32% of the lead taken into the body of a child will leave in the waste. Under conditions of continued exposure, not all of the lead that enters the body will be eliminated, and this may result in accumulation of lead in body tissues, especially bone.
That comes from Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry: https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=92&tid=22
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 873 times
Default Lead Poisoning Treatment

Has anyone been treated at the V.A. for Lead Toxicity? If so, how? Has anyone had Chelation? I was exposed to lead paint while stationed on a ship for several years in the 60's and have had many symptoms over the years that are now being investigated as lead toxicity. Maybe to late but has anyone been treated?

Old 12-29-2019, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 796 times
Does anyone know the name of the preservative (possibly petroleum based) sprayed on the machinery in the engine room of a Navy ship in preparation for decommissioning the ship in the late 80's?

Old 09-17-2022, 03:27 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,529,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I've already sent this question to the VA and am awaiting an answer but I also wanted to aske it here. Does anyone know if the VA has a program for testing former sailors for lead exposure from the lead paint used on the ships? From what I read so far, it seems that if you have lead in the body as an adult it can result in memory loss and pain in the joints, something I'm beginning to feel at 40 years old and am not sure if it's age or my exposure to lead. I also read that you have to be treated to have the lead removed. At the time I was in we didn't use respirators to chip the old paint off the bulkheads and this was a ship built in the 60s. We used a primer that scared me. If you left the can open too long it would dry into a solid rubbery green block. We were told the primer and the paint at the time was lead based. Should I get tested by my family doctor and send the results to the VA or see if they'll do the testing first?
I am now seeing my VSO in the next week or so, have claims in for Agent Orange - Asbestoses - Tinnitus and Bi-lateral hearing loss. Mad has been 250 days waiting on C&P for discussions: The VSO said O'by the way we need to file more claims under the Pack ACT 2022, Being a Bowsman Mate and working on an old Essex Class Carriers exposure to Lead Paint and Red Lead Paint along with Jet Fuel unburned exhaust along with PFAS the firefighting foam that has numerous health issues . 50 plus years after Viet Nam

Old 09-21-2022, 04:45 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
I am now seeing my VSO in the next week or so, have claims in for Agent Orange - Asbestoses - Tinnitus and Bi-lateral hearing loss. Mad has been 250 days waiting on C&P for discussions: The VSO said O'by the way we need to file more claims under the Pack ACT 2022, Being a Bowsman Mate and working on an old Essex Class Carriers exposure to Lead Paint and Red Lead Paint along with Jet Fuel unburned exhaust along with PFAS the firefighting foam that has numerous health issues . 50 plus years after Viet Nam
My dad served on the flight deck of a carrier from 64-67 before being blinded in one eye. He tried to get a claim for Agent Orange but they denied it since he wasn’t in the jungle. Yeah, he and his buddies just had to service those jets covered in Agent Orange with no protection. Some of the BMs who worked in the paint locker weren’t quite right in the head and we seriously suspected it had to do with the hours and years exposed to the paint used at that time. Some BMs knew this was an issue and did what they could to install makeshift ventilation and swap out paint locker people. In the engine room we used those needle guns regularly without any face mask of any kind. We would cough or blow our nose and have black stuff come out from the paint dust. One bulkhead of a ship built in the early 60s had almost an inch of paint before we reached steel. Someone on watch was bored and began tapping the bulkhead with a hammer and the chief decided it all had to be chipped and painted.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:28 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,529,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
My dad served on the flight deck of a carrier from 64-67 before being blinded in one eye. He tried to get a claim for Agent Orange but they denied it since he wasn’t in the jungle. Yeah, he and his buddies just had to service those jets covered in Agent Orange with no protection. Some of the BMs who worked in the paint locker weren’t quite right in the head and we seriously suspected it had to do with the hours and years exposed to the paint used at that time. Some BMs knew this was an issue and did what they could to install makeshift ventilation and swap out paint locker people. In the engine room we used those needle guns regularly without any face mask of any kind. We would cough or blow our nose and have black stuff come out from the paint dust. One bulkhead of a ship built in the early 60s had almost an inch of paint before we reached steel. Someone on watch was bored and began tapping the bulkhead with a hammer and the chief decided it all had to be chipped and painted.
The Blue Water Navy Bill HR 299 signed July 2019 by the former President. Call or stop at the nearest Veterans Service Officer. Now all Navy personnel can apply for Agent Orange with symptoms. But the VSO will have all that information, so call make an appointment you severed your country, Now let your country serve you. Thank You for severing.
Don't forget to ask the VSO about the "PACT ACT" 2022 signed by Joe this year.

Old 09-23-2022, 07:31 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
The Blue Water Navy Bill HR 299 signed July 2019 by the former President. Call or stop at the nearest Veterans Service Officer. Now all Navy personnel can apply for Agent Orange with symptoms. But the VSO will have all that information, so call make an appointment you severed your country, Now let your country serve you. Thank You for severing.
Don't forget to ask the VSO about the "PACT ACT" 2022 signed by Joe this year.
Dad passed away not long after watching the New Orleans Saints win the Super Bowl from his lung cancer. He had quit smoking in 85 but had worked construction lobs in the early 60s, worked on the flight deck of a carrier, worked on oil rigs, and did carpentry as a hobby.

Old Today, 07:14 AM

3 posts, read 4,036 times
Default Cluster Headaches

I was a Storekeeper aboard a Carrier & Destroyer for two years. my job was to restore over 100 storerooms.
We constantly had to empty the stores from a one gallon jug to a 55 gal. drum of unknown liquid or powder substances. Surface preparation of deck and bulkheads using grinders, needle guns, sanders, scrapers and wire brushes. The only protection afforded us were for the eyes. Occasionally we found a floor box fan that could only be used on a storeroom that had an exterior access, and that was a rarity. We had no respirators, ear plugs, proper ventilation. Approximately 15 years ago I started to experience severe headaches, and after seeing two outside Neurologist and one VA Neuro MD's I was diagnosed with "Cluster Headaches" There are some drugs, and other therapies that will help reduce the regularity of these headaches, but they make Migraines look like a walk in the park. To shorten this up, I filed a claim with the VA, I was telephonically interviewed by two MD's and the final decision was a DENIAL!!!. I have conducted some indebt research and found numerous articles & publications showing a direct correlation between the inhalation of red lead paint dust and Headaches, but does not specifically address "Cluster Headaches" According to the VSO, my next step is to submit a Supplemental Claim when & if I can secure a "NEXUS" letter from an MD., the step thereafter would be to submit under the PACT ACT. Does anyone have any additional advice ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues