Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2024, 06:35 AM

8,095 posts, read 10,130,677 times

Advertisements

Just looking for information on VA Disability filing. I have filed and it has been in process for almost five months. They seem to move at a snail's pace, but do actually make progress. I think. Now they want to have me evaluated at an outside service and then i "guess" with all of the info i provided them the whole thing will go to a "committee" for a final decision. Seems like they are not going out of their way to make it happen. Maybe that is just the way it works.

Anyone have any hands-on experience, perhaps even someone who has worked the process from the inside?

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 10:04 AM

778 posts, read 1,060,307 times
Did you file on your own or did you use any of the free Veterans Organizations? Just a few are the VFW, American Legion, DAV, and there are many more.

In Virginia, there is a state agency (Department of Veterans Services (DVS)) that that can help you with claims and appeals if needed.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:14 PM

21,813 posts, read 16,487,284 times
Filing yourself is an exercise in frustration. I 100% concur with preceding post advising you use a service organization, if you haven’t. Seriously. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:13 PM

641 posts, read 334,905 times
5 months BEFORE getting scheduled for a C&P seems really long, but I guess if you weren't filing a fully-developed claim and they had difficulties getting ahold of some of your records, it could maybe cause that? Every claim is different and everything, but in comparison to that I filed a claim two weeks ago for one thing and already have a C&P exam for it scheduled for next week.
But yeah, if you need a physical evaluation of the thing you filed for, then it seems like it is proceeding as it should. I wouldn't expect a quick decision after that though; that is usually the part that takes longer. The exam would be part of the "Collecting evidence" phase. After that would be "Reviewing Evidence," "Preparation for Decision," "Pending Decision Approval," "Preparing for Notification," and then the actual notification when you should be able to see it appear on the app or on eBenefits.

VSOs can be helpful in assisting with filing for a claim, but there are good VSOs and bad VSOs. Filing on your own doesn't have to be difficult though. If you are younger and know your way around tech and social medias (know how to use a computer or handheld device, know how to use reddit or FB) then it can be pretty easy finding the info you need to file claims and what you need to pay attention to and look out for. There is a really helpful FB group called "Veterans Claim Support" with 50K+ members where I have found answers to a lot of questions I have had.

Old 05-08-2024, 09:28 AM

8,095 posts, read 10,130,677 times
Thanks for the feedback.

I did file on my own, but consulted our State provided Service Officer.

My claim ran to many pages with the "background" (Personal Statement) running to seven typed pages, and multiple physician reports, test results, etc. included to help paint the appropriate picture.

I had a C&P Exam for hearing, but the major issue is just now being scheduled for a C&P Exam (next Monday) with a sort of not particularly appropriate nurse practitioner. But that is what they have done.

If things don't go my way, i will refile through the Service Officer mentioned above and see if that improves my luck.

As to timing, it seems like i am on track, but it does not pay to be impatient. They work at their pace, and nohing seems to change that.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:28 AM

21,813 posts, read 16,487,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I did file on my own, but consulted our State provided Service Officer.

My claim ran to many pages with the "background" (Personal Statement) running to seven typed pages, and multiple physician reports, test results, etc. included to help paint the appropriate picture.

I had a C&P Exam for hearing, but the major issue is just now being scheduled for a C&P Exam (next Monday) with a sort of not particularly appropriate nurse practitioner. But that is what they have done.

If things don't go my way, i will refile through the Service Officer mentioned above and see if that improves my luck.

As to timing, it seems like i am on track, but it does not pay to be impatient. They work at their pace, and nohing seems to change that.
There is really no downside or cost in using any of the service organizations mentioned if you hit resistance and denials. Very common to have claims rejected or minimized initially. Not unusual to have to refile two and even three times to get an appropriate decision. Good luck.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:16 AM

6,368 posts, read 7,820,483 times
Recently been through the process. In fact, still ongoing, even though I received my initial decision letter several months ago. My "case" has been ongoing for about eight months now. Two things...

1.) DON'T dare miss any of the scheduled exams. Cancelled one as I pulled out of the driveway because the GPS said I would be 15-20 minutes late. It took months to reschedule.

2.) When you do eventually receive a disability rating, you will receive your monthly disability amount back to the date you initially filed. I received a really nice, and unexpected check one day in the mail.

Be patient. It does take time. The biggest advantage of a Veteran's Service Office is that they have access to your VA record/file. They can easily see the status of your claim and make recommendations of what documentation you will need or what steps you need to take next. On one visit, I went away with a "to do" list. I wouldn't have know these things if I filed on my own.

p.s. One of the reasons for the slow processing is possibly due to passage of the PACT act of 2022. That has resulted in a whole boat load of us veterans now qualifying for VA disability who were previously not eligible. I am one of those. Someone who was in a certain place at a certain time, thereby having a presumptive exposure to Agent Orange.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-12-2024, 08:26 PM

641 posts, read 334,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
p.s. One of the reasons for the slow processing is possibly due to passage of the PACT act of 2022. That has resulted in a whole boat load of us veterans now qualifying for VA disability who were previously not eligible. I am one of those. Someone who was in a certain place at a certain time, thereby having a presumptive exposure to Agent Orange.
They DID hire a ton of people ahead of the PACT Act claims windows being open, and things seemed to get somewhat faster. I received positive decisions on three claims in about a 3.5 month period last year. Then they got rid of a lot of people in the fall once the most-recent one year deadline hit., and things have slowed down again.

Old 05-19-2024, 10:15 PM

435 posts, read 981,959 times
I did my own and my wife's I got 40%, she got 100%. The first big step is when you get out of the service, get a complete copy of your medical record. It should include your induction physical which shows you had no real problems or if you did, what they were. Then you put down EVERYTHING that happened to you in the way of health during your time in service. Such as, broke arm. And you reference the page in your medical record that shows it. If you have any decrease in the range of motion or strength as a result, you put that down. You do this for everything medical that happened to you in the service and any decrease in your abilities or change in your abilities as a result. Keep in mind the time line is important too. For example. Moved from MN to TX and got a kidney stone.... Moved from Germany to NV.. got a kidney stone. Moved from OH to FL and got a kidney stone. You can show that each time you got a stone it was due to the military moving you from a cool climate to a hot one. It was service connected. If you were in a combat zone, make sure you get your hearing tested as loss of hearing is a big one. Always keep a copy of everything you turn in. You will need to work thru a Service Officer but if you do the paperwork yourself, you can use a VA service officer and things go faster.

Old Today, 01:27 PM

10,838 posts, read 14,970,735 times
I went to the DAV for help and they did everything for me.

About 12 years ago I was given 50% due to Type II diabetes that is attributed to exposure to Agent Orange. In 1968 and 69 I was with the First Infantry Division in Đồng Nai and Bình Dương provinces as a medic to an infantry platoon.

Of all the Agent Orange sprayed Đồng Nai received 41% while Bình Dương received 24% which comes to 65% of the total amount of Agent Orange sprayed in the country.

At 20 years old I couldn't understand why everything was dead in a tropical paradise but dead it was.

Hard to believe it was 55 years ago.

But today I have some other issues with leg cramps that just about kill me, I got to actually get out of bed and walk the house to get rid of it, hearing loss, back pain shaky fingers.

So next Tuesday I am going back to the DAV and see if I can't get raised.

Oh, and the average benefit of those with Agent Orange associated disabilities is 70% so we will see.

Go to the DAV.

They know what they are doing and it's free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues