Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 09:34 AM

194 posts, read 152,032 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Mu daughter and I are very close, she is only 21 and married a Marine last year. He was pretty sure that he would be extended at his current base which is close to us, therefore we get to see them quite often. He is very nice, family oriented and also close (emotionally)to his parents, though they are about 4 hours away from us. His orders are to go to California now and the monitor has two days to possibly change these orders, but chances are slim. I am very sad and excited though for them. Are there any support groups for parents of military spouses? I know she is excited, but I also know that he may be gone for months for training....anyway, I am not sure how to support them and deal with my sadness as well so that is why I was looking for others to talk with, please advise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 02:25 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Look on the brightside, you will get to visit Calif.

Old 03-26-2024, 02:40 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
I'm sorry, that's tough. This is unfortunately just what happens when a spouse is in the military. Will they be at Pendleton?

My daughter who lives in that area has been a nanny for a family in the Marines, but they just got transferred to Yuma, AZ. The San Diego area is great and you may find you love it, so go visit them! On the other hand, if they're going to 29 Palms...

Old 03-26-2024, 03:11 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Please try to temper your sadness when around your daughter. She needs to support her spouse and be upbeat about this relocation, not worried about her parents. Your daughter is a married adult.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:06 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Wow, your son-in-law and daughter are fortunate to have a new PCS (permanent change of station) to a CONUS (continental US) location that is not far from a major airport. Your son-in-law could have gotten PCS to Okinawa, Guantanamo Bay (Cuba), Diego Garcia Island (middle of the Indian Ocean) or Djibouti on the eastern horn of Africa instead. Don't be shocked in a few years if the next duty station is OCONUS (outside CONUS). Some OCONUS permanent duty stations are unaccompanied tours, so that means your daughter will have a whole other situation to deal with. Military spouses have to be just as tough as the one in uniform, so they need all the positive support you can give them.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:12 PM

3 posts, read 1,389 times
Try this organization

https://marineparents.com/

Old 03-27-2024, 03:23 AM

4,898 posts, read 2,052,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Please try to temper your sadness when around your daughter. She needs to support her spouse and be upbeat about this relocation, not worried about her parents. Your daughter is a married adult.
^^^^ This is the correct answer.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:31 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
You should be proud that you have raised a daughter who has launched on schedule. Be excited for her new adventure. My kids are spread far and wide, and I wish they weren’t, so I know you will slowly adjust to the new reality.

Old 03-27-2024, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm sorry, that's tough. This is unfortunately just what happens when a spouse is in the military. Will they be at Pendleton?

My daughter who lives in that area has been a nanny for a family in the Marines, but they just got transferred to Yuma, AZ. The San Diego area is great and you may find you love it, so go visit them! On the other hand, if they're going to 29 Palms...
29 Palms, he hates that base, he trained there and he was so unhappy to hear he has to be there a year. He only has one year left on his 5 year contract, not sure about re enlisting yet. It does not look like a terrible area(Yucca Valley and Palm Springs), but it is frustrating because my daughter got a job offer at NAS Jax NCIS right out of college, she has been interning at NCIS since January in Georgia....and has to forego that opportunity due to this move, kinda frustrating, but such is military life and we talked with her in length about that when they first started to date, but you know how that goes LOL.

Old 03-27-2024, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Look on the brightside, you will get to visit Calif.
I hate that way California is now, but the area they are going to seems nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues