Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 09:59 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times

Advertisements

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/da...-cost-sharing/

Based on numerous conversations I’ve had with active duty airmen, the cost of housing is a huge factor with them deciding to leave service.

BAH isn’t cutting it anymore.

Back in my day, you could get assigned to any base, and with the locale differential added in, you could live in a decent area near base.

Those days are long over. For example, you get assigned to the NCR, you either live in a war zone, or commute hours everyday. Military members are really struggling with housing right now.

Instead of giving Zelensky a hundred billion, maybe help out our own military members?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 12:12 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post

Based on numerous conversations I’ve had with active duty airmen, the cost of housing is a huge factor with them deciding to leave service.

BAH isn’t cutting it anymore.

Back in my day, you could get assigned to any base, and with the locale differential added in, you could live in a decent area near base.

Those days are long over. For example, you get assigned to the NCR, you either live in a war zone, or commute hours everyday. Military members are really struggling with housing right now.

Instead of giving Zelensky a hundred billion, maybe help out our own military members?
Usually we’re on the same side but not on this one. Not seeing thru the fog of too-few-dollars.

Any rank in the NCR is getting a couple grand, tax free, to live in the greater NCR circle. Any contractor would need to make double that amount just to keep up.

Most service members in NCR are at least E6/O3. Then we’re talking $60k salary plus $25k tax free housing. That’s nearly $100k and most junior service members don’t stay in the NCR very long. CORRECTION = E6 with spouse makes $40k in tax free BAH in NCR.

The tax free housing subsidy can be as high as $4k monthly and even $5k monthly in New York, it may need to be higher but this is not why they are getting out of the service.

Old 02-06-2024, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Usually we’re on the same side but not on this one. Not seeing thru the fog of too-few-dollars.

Any rank in the NCR is getting a couple grand, tax free, to live in the greater NCR circle. Any contractor would need to make double that amount just to keep up.

Most service members in NCR are at least E6/O3. Then we’re talking $60k salary plus $25k tax free housing. That’s nearly $100k and most junior service members don’t stay in the NCR very long. CORRECTION = E6 with spouse makes $40k in tax free BAH in NCR.

The tax free housing subsidy can be as high as $4k monthly and even $5k monthly in New York, it may need to be higher but this is not why they are getting out of the service.
I’ve never lived in the NCR, so I personally don’t know. I’m just stating that many airmen have told me that housing is a big problem in many areas of the country, to include NCR. Also, the horrible schools that their kids have to endure as well. I’m straight up stating that many airmen are choosing to get out instead of taking an assignment at an undesirable (to them) part of the country.

Also, certain areas are outrageously expensive as far as cost of living in addition to housing.

So I suspect that they are also telling their enlisted leaders exactly what they are telling me, which is why those leaders are speaking before Congress about this issue.

Old 02-08-2024, 05:54 PM

560 posts, read 335,690 times
Nonsense. BAH rates are a formula calculation that match the rise in local housing cost based on that formula. BAH went up an average of 5.1% in 2022, 12.1% in 2023 and 5.4% this year. Anyone who thinks they are getting comparable civilian pay raises to match the rises in housing cost is insane. My civilian pay is actually calculated off of BASH rates as a part of the formula and that pay has jumped dramatically.

Air Force retention rates have been very strong the last few years, 89% and 90% in 22 and 23 respectively. These have been some of the highest rates in the last 6 years. 'Some people are saying' doesnt trump the facts.

My civilan

Old 02-09-2024, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
Nonsense. BAH rates are a formula calculation that match the rise in local housing cost based on that formula. BAH went up an average of 5.1% in 2022, 12.1% in 2023 and 5.4% this year. Anyone who thinks they are getting comparable civilian pay raises to match the rises in housing cost is insane. My civilian pay is actually calculated off of BASH rates as a part of the formula and that pay has jumped dramatically.

Air Force retention rates have been very strong the last few years, 89% and 90% in 22 and 23 respectively. These have been some of the highest rates in the last 6 years. 'Some people are saying' doesnt trump the facts.

My civilan
If it is nonsense as you claim, why is Chief Bass speaking before Congress to try and fix a problem, that according to you, doesn’t exist?

You’d think she’d have better things to do than waste time on something that is already working properly.

But here’s a thought: There is a real problem here, and she is addressing it. Which matches conversations I’ve had with plenty of airmen.

Old 02-10-2024, 04:33 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
If it is nonsense as you claim, why is Chief Bass speaking before Congress to try and fix a problem, that according to you, doesn’t exist?

You’d think she’d have better things to do than waste time on something that is already working properly.

But here’s a thought: There is a real problem here, and she is addressing it. Which matches conversations I’ve had with plenty of airmen.
From an advocacy perspective, the concept is all over the map according this article. Maybe the testimony could help explain this better.

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/ba...e-force-bases/

The issues include increasing BAH, which is untaxed. Improving the barracks (or dorms as the AF calls them), and increase housing (on base?) criteria/authorizations for enlisted force. The last one on criteria/ authorizations was on number of bedrooms, rank, dependents.

The easy part is raising BAH but the testimony apparently asked for comprehensive studies, which is more than just increasing BAH. With the Air Force continuing to keep cutting end strength, you’d think the on base housing would flatten. Currently Air Force is around 320k but that could be the lower number because of the space force start and realignment.

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IN/IN11994

Finally, housing prices are falling in many areas of the country, particularly the west. If the studies and research take a long time, the falling housing prices could “fix” the issue.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/mortg...e-prices-fall/
https://www.newsweek.com/house-price...-texas-1865968

Old 02-12-2024, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
From an advocacy perspective, the concept is all over the map according this article. Maybe the testimony could help explain this better.

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/ba...e-force-bases/

The issues include increasing BAH, which is untaxed. Improving the barracks (or dorms as the AF calls them), and increase housing (on base?) criteria/authorizations for enlisted force. The last one on criteria/ authorizations was on number of bedrooms, rank, dependents.

The easy part is raising BAH but the testimony apparently asked for comprehensive studies, which is more than just increasing BAH. With the Air Force continuing to keep cutting end strength, you’d think the on base housing would flatten. Currently Air Force is around 320k but that could be the lower number because of the space force start and realignment.

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IN/IN11994

Finally, housing prices are falling in many areas of the country, particularly the west. If the studies and research take a long time, the falling housing prices could “fix” the issue.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/mortg...e-prices-fall/
https://www.newsweek.com/house-price...-texas-1865968
I don’t think people are getting my point, so let me give specific examples.

I am a contractor in a deployed environment. So I interact with airmen stationed all over the world. One younger guy I know, he is stationed at Kirtland, and we’ve talked about this long before I ever posted this topic.

He pays 1200 for a one bedroom apartment, which according to him, is his BAH, and he lives closer to Santa Fe than he does Kirtland. His commute home every evening is usually longer than 1 hour. He could find a place that is lower than 1200 and much closer to Kirtland. The problem is that the area around Kirtland is dangerous, gunfire can be heard most nights. It’s a war zone, and they even call it a war zone.

So he made a decision, safety over money and convenience.

Another guy I know is stationed at Malmstrom. They don’t have the crime there, but his apartment cost exceeds his BAH by about $200 per month.

Another guy is at Langley AFB. Housing is a problem there, too.

I get it, these are all anecdotal, but if I keep hearing housing is a problem, there must be some truth to it.

Old 02-12-2024, 05:00 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
I don’t think people are getting my point, so let me give specific examples.

I am a contractor in a deployed environment. So I interact with airmen stationed all over the world. One younger guy I know, he is stationed at Kirtland, and we’ve talked about this long before I ever posted this topic.

He pays 1200 for a one bedroom apartment, which according to him, is his BAH, and he lives closer to Santa Fe than he does Kirtland. His commute home every evening is usually longer than 1 hour. He could find a place that is lower than 1200 and much closer to Kirtland. The problem is that the area around Kirtland is dangerous, gunfire can be heard most nights. It’s a war zone, and they even call it a war zone.

So he made a decision, safety over money and convenience.

Another guy I know is stationed at Malmstrom. They don’t have the crime there, but his apartment cost exceeds his BAH by about $200 per month.

Another guy is at Langley AFB. Housing is a problem there, too.

I get it, these are all anecdotal, but if I keep hearing housing is a problem, there must be some truth to it.
Is the airman from NM getting the BAH he's entitled to? Or does he truly not know?

Kirtland AFB BAH:
E-1 (married) - 1,878 in 2024; 1,731 in 2023.

E-1 (unmarried) - 1,563 in 2024; 1,446 in 2023.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:21 AM

733 posts, read 406,849 times
Going back many decades I thought retention was always a problem? I don't remember exactly but I've always understood that a small % of people actually retired from the military.

But I will say, everyone predicted this issue decades ago when the decision was made to cut or change benefits. In "one" example, my retirement check is small, but it's enough to keep food on the table and shelter until I pass.

The other examples go into a rabbit holes. Without getting into those rabbit holes, I do see and understand today's concerns. I still think that I would be proud to serve though.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Is the airman from NM getting the BAH he's entitled to? Or does he truly not know?

Kirtland AFB BAH:
E-1 (married) - 1,878 in 2024; 1,731 in 2023.

E-1 (unmarried) - 1,563 in 2024; 1,446 in 2023.
I edited this response after getting clarification. The guy at Kirtland, money isn’t the issue. It’s the crime, violence, and poor schools of ABQ near Kirtland. Which pushed him to get housing far away, which is a major inconvenience. Others, scarcity of housing and cost is a problem.

My main reason for posting this topic is to show things have changed. Back 30 years ago, no matter what base you were at, you didn’t have to think about housing cost, scarcity of housing, or schools too much.

Last edited by WK91; 02-12-2024 at 08:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues