Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 06:43 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times

Advertisements

My dad was in the 30th Infantry Division in WWII. In August, 1944, they were surrounded by the Germans on a hill at Mortain, France, for 6 days. The only way to get medical and other supplies to them was to take the explosives out of mortar shells, pad what they were sending to them, and fire them up the hill.. The problem was them trying to find where the mortar landed by listening and a lot of what was inside was destroyed when it hit. When my dad's buddy was badly hurt by shrapnel, my dad sneaked down to where he hid their Jeep to get a bottle of Cognac he hid under the seat. But the Germans had stripped the Jeep down before he could get there. But, for making that trek to the Jeep, he received the Silver Star.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2023, 08:36 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My dad was in the 30th Infantry Division in WWII. In August, 1944, they were surrounded by the Germans on a hill at Mortain, France, for 6 days. The only way to get medical and other supplies to them was to take the explosives out of mortar shells, pad what they were sending to them, and fire them up the hill.. The problem was them trying to find where the mortar landed by listening and a lot of what was inside was destroyed when it hit. When my dad's buddy was badly hurt by shrapnel, my dad sneaked down to where he hid their Jeep to get a bottle of Cognac he hid under the seat. But the Germans had stripped the Jeep down before he could get there. But, for making that trek to the Jeep, he received the Silver Star.
And in today’s military, that would be punishable under UCMJ for violating general order #1, no alcohol in theatre.

Every nato mission was way more fun when the other countries brought a little with them. Times have changed.

Old 05-27-2023, 09:36 AM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
Memorial Day weekend, being thankful for all those who served.

Reading Posts, Posters have shared those who served, died, not in battle. So l'll share my deceased husband, Navy 1963-1967; my father, Army Air Corp, his two brothers Navy, a maternal uncle Army, WWII.

Remember the Star Spangled Banner, those that that kept our flag flying,against all odds

Thank you !

Old 05-27-2023, 12:53 PM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
My late Dad served in the US Army during the Korean War, thankfully, he made it back home safely. I have several uncles, cousins and a cousin-in-law who served in the US Army, Navy and Marine Corps who all made it back home.

During the Vietnam War, I was just a young child then, I recall a few neighborhood young men, who never made it back.

My thoughts and observing a “moment of silence” to all of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms.

Old 05-27-2023, 04:14 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
During WW-2, over 16,000 employees of my Father's railroad, the Baltimore and Ohio RR, went to war. About 480 of them died in uniform.

Over 400,000 of our service men and women died in that war.

I post these videos in remembrance of our fallen from all our wars.

Best to all at Memorial Day.

WW-2 Version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR7HPQM0Jgg

All wars Version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFtN...vBic2S&index=2
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-27-2023 at 04:23 PM..

Old 10-16-2023, 07:12 PM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
https://www.bild.de/news/inland/news...0198.bild.html

Old 11-11-2023, 09:12 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,492,475 times
What it means,
To be an American
To believe in the promise
Of a better tomorrow,
And stand united in our efforts
To give a peaceful nation
To our children….
To honor
Each other’s differences,
And cherish the richness of our history,
Even as it continues to unfold
From sea, to shining sea…
To love deeply
Our friends
And Family, day by day,
And never take for granted
The privilege of calling ourselves
American.
~~
Thank you, American Veterans............

Old 12-31-2023, 06:11 AM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
RIP.

One of the greatest and most legendary military units in American history, the forefather of today's US Army 75th Ranger Regiment.

The Marauder's had the rare distinction of every member of its unit earning the Bronze Star. In addition, all members of this unit had the tremendous honor of being retroactively awarded the highly covered Ranger tab (without ever going through the intensive school).

Russell Hamler, last of famed WWII Merrill’s Marauders, dies at age 99
Quote:
The last surviving member of World War II’s famed Merrill’s Marauders, who endured harsh conditions, malnutrition and relentless tropical disease as they fought behind Japanese enemy lines in Burma, has died.

Russell Hamler died Tuesday at a veterans hospital in Pittsburgh, Pa. He was 99.
Merrill's Marauder's history

MERRILL’S MARAUDERS, 1944 Special Operations Spearhead

Old 12-31-2023, 12:50 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
My uncle was in the Battle of the Bulge. My dad had lost a couple fingers in his left hand and still wanted to contribute. He was in the Construction Batallion and was on paving crews at Walker Air Force Base south of Roswell. In the mid 1950's he was on paving crews at the Air Force Academy north of Colorado Springs. our family lived in the Springs for several years.

I'm proud of both of them and miss them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues