Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 06:01 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
Mexico is loco. In the US the corporations run the show and in Mexico the cartels do.

2 Mexican city mayoral candidates are shot dead within hours of each other
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...5&sc=shoreline
Can't be true, guns are illegal to possess in Mexico!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2024, 01:33 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,460,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I agree with your first sentence, but the rest of your screed is just xenophobic hate.
Same here, I was on board at the beginning; I do agree with the person first part of the comments.

Old 03-24-2024, 01:39 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,460,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
Mexico is loco. In the US the corporations run the show and in Mexico the cartels do.

2 Mexican city mayoral candidates are shot dead within hours of each other
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...5&sc=shoreline
Honestly, both are as destructive to human life. Big pharma, politicians and the like, don't always put out the hits, but, they do allow people to die unnecessarily due to greed.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:45 PM

5,704 posts, read 4,278,576 times
It may be complicated and nuanced and it may be simple and straightforward. If Americans stopped supporting the drug trade tomorrow, the drugs would just go somewhere else and the problem would continue almost unabated. Drug users do not coerce or compel cartels to murder, maim and mutilate on their behalf anymore than guns in the US commit murder, they just make it obscenely profitable and easy to throw morality and humanity out the window for material riches and (I presume) a misguided sense of status and purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seya View Post
While I appreciate your acknowledgment of the initial point about drug demand influencing Mexico's cartel issues, I must respectfully disagree with your characterization of the remainder of my argument as "xenophobic hate." My intention was not to promote hate or xenophobia but rather to engage in a nuanced discussion about the complex interplay of factors contributing to the cartel problem in Mexico and the broader societal issues in both the United States and Mexico.
The points raised in my argument were intended to highlight the multifaceted nature of the drug trade, cartel violence, and societal issues in both countries. It is essential to acknowledge the role of drug demand in the United States as a significant driver of cartel operations in Mexico, as well as the systemic corruption and violence within Mexico that exacerbate the problem. Additionally, discussing the historical and geopolitical factors, such as potential links between American agencies and cartels, is crucial for understanding the full scope of the issue.
Furthermore, the comparison between murder rates in Mexico and the United States was not meant to diminish the seriousness of violence in either country but rather to provide context for understanding the different manifestations and root causes of violence. Both countries face unique challenges in addressing violence and ensuring the safety and security of their citizens.
Regarding the mention of the United States' involvement in wars, it was not intended as an attack but rather as a recognition of the broader impact of American foreign policy decisions on global stability and security. Acknowledging this reality allows for a more nuanced discussion about the role of the United States in addressing issues of violence and conflict around the world.
In conclusion, I believe that engaging in open and respectful dialogue about complex issues such as drug trafficking, cartel violence, and societal challenges is essential for finding meaningful solutions. Dismissing valid points as "xenophobic hate" only serves to shut down productive conversation rather than fostering understanding and cooperation.

Old 04-02-2024, 07:27 AM

12,945 posts, read 13,330,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Can't be true, guns are illegal to possess in Mexico!
Not quite true, I believe the ban just applies to the possession of military caliber firearms.
Handguns of .38 & 9mm or less are legal for eligible citizens. Shotguns & .22 rifles are also legal.
However, there is only ONE legal gun store in the entire country - located in Mexico City.

Maybe someone knowledgeable can clarify.

Old 04-02-2024, 05:43 PM

1,220 posts, read 491,363 times
Quote:
Candidate for mayor of Mexican city of Celaya killed on first day of campaign
Bertha Gisela Gaytán is one of at least 22 mayoral candidates murdered in Mexico since September 2023
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-killed-celaya

Old 04-02-2024, 06:36 PM

5,704 posts, read 4,278,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post

Sickening

https://www.merca20.com/who-was-gise...-was-murdered/
Shortly before suffering the attack that cost her life, Gisela Gaytán spoke to the media about the issue of security in the campaign. In a video posted on her social networks, the Morena candidate started her campaign with the following message:
“Today, the people of Celaya feel like survivors. Along with you, I want us to be the change of our present, looking towards the future, that together we find the courage to face fear, reinvent things, and transform our city.”

That's pretty bland nothingspeak. Is that all it takes to get blown away in Mexico?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico