Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 08:29 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times

Advertisements

I'm traveling to Mexico City and San Miguel de Allende next month. As I try to respect local customs and plan on visiting several Catholic churches, do I need a head covering in church like a prayer veil or mantilla?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 04:12 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
You can if you want , especially during service, but it's not necessary. We too love to hit up the local cathedrals, basilicas and chapels when we visit historical cities but we typically go in during non service hours.

It's obvious that we are tourist being that we walk in wearing shorts and taking pictures inside.

Old 08-25-2023, 12:49 PM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Since I believe they are primarily a Catholic culture, I would wear the headscarf into a church if there is a service. If no service is being held, then I think you can forego the headscarf.

Old 08-25-2023, 05:09 PM

6,384 posts, read 11,877,389 times
No one wears them in church now, maybe a few older ladies might. I have only been to a few services but I was kind of shocked by how casual people dress. I think about how people in the US have their more formal "Sunday" outfit for church and didn't see anything like it there. Formal and conservative isn't what you'll find. Maybe don't go in there with shorts or flip flops but that's just standard for anywhere in Mexico except the coasts.

Old 08-26-2023, 08:18 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
No one wears them in church now, maybe a few older ladies might. I have only been to a few services but I was kind of shocked by how casual people dress. I think about how people in the US have their more formal "Sunday" outfit for church and didn't see anything like it there. Formal and conservative isn't what you'll find. Maybe don't go in there with shorts or flip flops but that's just standard for anywhere in Mexico except the coasts.
You don’t see many people dress conservatively anymore when they go to church in the US.

Old 08-26-2023, 02:28 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
I suppose it's regional because the parishes I have attended in rural Oklahoma I have seen a lot of people the majority of people are dressed very casual. We do have a few women who cover their head, and there's only one man who wears a suit. Most of the folks here in rural Oklahoma are not rich. We consider the ranchers rich because if they have those Fords 350 pickups LOL

And our local Parish has a separate Mass for the Spanish speaking community, and the other is in English. And I don't speak Spanish very well so I do not attend the Spanish mass so I cannot attest as to how they dress.

Old 08-28-2023, 08:04 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
Nobody wears head coverage in church anymore unless they're old (or old fashioned). The funniest thing I've seen was some young women wearing head scarf to appear pious (I guess) while wearing sleeveless dress or sleeveless top. The proper Catholic church etiquette in the past was for women to cover their hair and shoulder in church, but I guess these women didn't read that old memo.

I used to live in a city with tons of Latino presence, and I can tell you they (especially the women) wear their Sunday best to church.

Regardless, just wear something comfortable that would modestly cover your shoulders and knees, and you'll fit in.

Old 08-29-2023, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Maybe don't go in there with shorts or flip flops but that's just standard for anywhere in Mexico except the coasts.
I once saw a mixed white/asian couple at the Castillo de Chapultepec in Mexico City touring the grounds wearing flip flops, shorts and hoodies. I knew right away that not only were they Americans but specifically Californians. I spoke to them and sure enough they were.

Old 09-19-2023, 07:12 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times
Well, I'm back from my trip and was surprised that I was asked to remove my hat in several churches, so I started removing it at all churches.

I would expect men being asked to remove hats, but women?

Old 09-21-2023, 12:58 PM

A hat? You said head covering so I pictured something completely different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico