Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2023, 08:13 PM

424 posts, read 465,379 times

Advertisements

Compare Mexico's 2nd and 3rd largest metropolitan areas regarding the following:

• Public transportation (easy to get by without a car)

• Architecture (colonial center, modern architecture, skyline)

•Museums & festivals

•LGBTQ friendly/progressive culture

•Climate

•Natural setting/geography

•Easier access to cultural or scenic sites in the surrounding
environs / weekend trips to beaches, mountains, colonial
towns, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2023, 09:30 PM

6,384 posts, read 11,877,389 times
They aren't really comparable. MTY is where you go if you want to live the high life US style. Money is good there but it's character won't remind you much of the rest of Mexico. Small colonial style area but it's so small that it's overrun on weekends with revelers.

General idea is MTY is a good place for career and working, not the greatest city to live in otherwise.

Old 05-09-2023, 07:16 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Guadalajara...........

Old 05-09-2023, 02:50 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Summer time heat and humidity in Monterrey are akin to the Midwest and Southern US which is a major TURN OFF for me. Otherwise, it's a beautiful modern city with a great economy surrounded by natural beauty.

I much prefer summers in GDL.

Old 05-10-2023, 10:57 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Monterrey got a huge economic shot in the arm with the big new Tesla factory that will be built on the north side of the city. That factory will mean thousands of good-paying jobs at Tesla and at other suppliers that will likely locate near the Tesla factory.

Old 05-11-2023, 11:41 AM

I read that the Monterrey metropolitan area recently surpassed the Guadalajara metropolitan area in population, and it's now the 2nd largest urban area in Mexico outside of the Valley of Mexico region.

Do you think that, long term, Monterrey will only continue to pull ahead of Guadalajara in both population growth and economic growth?

Old 05-11-2023, 04:26 PM

6,384 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Yes, almost certain to happen. The entire border area will see much higher growth for years to come as production gets restored to North America. Monterrey is a great area for economic development with education and infrastructure. It's just not as attractive a place to live from a climate or culture perspective for most people. But priority one for most is jobs and career so it will win over time in attracting people and money.

Old 05-11-2023, 06:45 PM

I haven't been to Monterrey yet. I was asking about MTY and GDL to see which one would be a more interesting place to visit.

Monterrey, seems like a really intriguing place. In a way it seems to be México's answer to the industrial cities of the great lakes before they declined (i.e. a large city of steel, concrete, beer, and automobile manufacturing, etc). Very different from other Mexican cities near the US border like Tijuana and Ciudad Juárez.

Old 05-12-2023, 12:20 PM

12 posts, read 22,474 times
As a Monterrey resident, it is important that this is a car-centric city, you must have a car to get around. Public transportation may improve in few years, now it sucks.

Regarding neighborhoods, you can live in Downtown Monterrey, Zona Tec or Del Valle in San Pedro.

Old 05-12-2023, 03:40 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
Compare Mexico's 2nd and 3rd largest metropolitan areas regarding the following:
• Public transportation (easy to get by without a car)

In Monterrey it is not that easy but it is possible to move from one place to another without problem.
From my experience I think that Guadalajara has better public transportation, more train lines, buses, etc.

• Architecture (colonial center, modern architecture, skyline)

Both Monterrey and Guadalajara have destroyed their colonial past, but in terms of old buildings Guadalajara has more quantity and quality than Monterrey, in modern architecture I think Monterrey has more skyscrapers and districts than Guadalajara.

•Museums & festivals

I think they are in a similar situation, although Monterrey has more museums, Guadalajara has more festivals.

•LGBTQ friendly/progressive culture

Guadalajara.

•Climate

Guadalajara weather is better.

•Natural setting/geography

I think nothing beat the scenery of the mountains of Monterrey, there are literal hundreds of hiking routes just in the city. Is truly a hiking paradise.

•Easier access to cultural or scenic sites in the surrounding
environs / weekend trips to beaches, mountains, colonial
towns, etc.

Guadalajara is better located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico