Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 07:43 AM

195 posts, read 132,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Africa had so much influence on Mexico's culture especially music, dance styles, and food.

You must be thinking Cuba, or Haiti.

Mexico not really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2023, 07:45 AM

195 posts, read 132,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
A good of friend of mine moved to Ensenada, Baja Mexico with her black husband to live life easier (high living costs in the US nowadays). Ensenada seems to have a significant American population including wealthy retirees and young priced out Californian expats. There's also a sizable African American population from what I hear. According to some demographics stats Baja California, Mexico is around 2% black

This whole discussion seems to be missing one point. The key word in African American is American.

You have an American passport and US dollars and you're among the elite in Mexico (and most Lat Am).

Old 08-08-2023, 09:15 PM

971 posts, read 554,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
What country is more tolerant than the US when it comes to race?

China- No
Russia- No
Western European countries- No
Canada- Get back to me when they are less than 70% white
Australia- No
New Zealand- Ask the Maori
I so agree...
Looking at Russia being new (again. I am from former USSR) friend of Africa I laugh. They are building villages for conservative Americans in Russia. I want to see a reaction of majority if they suddenly realize 1% of Russia is black!!! They will showcase several black people ... while it is several.

I still argue with them about word "negr" (Russian term for "negro") being highly inappropriate, but they insist I am too politically correct as most Americans. We in USSR had some kids from relationships between Slavic women and students from Africa, from all kids of Olympic games or Students' festivals. I always felt bad how they were treated. My grandfather was a professor in university and he had African aspirants (something like PhD students)... they also were telling me stories. There are highly offensive jokes.

Yes... US is the most racist country of course...

Old 08-11-2023, 06:31 PM

6,386 posts, read 11,914,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
What country is more tolerant than the US when it comes to race?

China- No
Russia- No
Western European countries- No
Canada- Get back to me when they are less than 70% white
Australia- No
New Zealand- Ask the Maori
Canada is now under 70% white and its far more tolerant of race and foreigners than US. Its not even close. Not saying the US is intolerant but things are going in the wrong direction.

Old 08-13-2023, 03:14 AM

30 posts, read 23,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Full View Post
U taken way too much pleasure in correcting what is probably an honest mistake
He was mistaken about which president was black , Vincente Guerrero replaced Victoria. Vincente was indeed part African and Indian

While the contention of Vicente Guerrero's ancestral lineage is a subject of historical debate, it is important to note that prominent Mexican historians generally classify him as a mestizo, acknowledging his mixed Indigenous and European heritage. His father's and mother's identities, well-established in historical records, do not substantiate claims of Black ancestry. Additionally, visual representations, such as portraits of Vicente Guerrero, do not consistently align with the depiction of Black heritage. During his tenure as President of Mexico and his activities leading up to that role, Guerrero did not center his actions around racial identification. Rather, he identified himself as a Mexican mestizo, emblematic of the broader social milieu of his era. It is vital to recognize that contemporary Mexican society predominantly regarded Guerrero in the context of his mestizo identity, indicative of the nuanced perspectives prevailing during his time.

can you provide any references that give any validity to your claim.

Old 08-13-2023, 04:45 AM

30 posts, read 23,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Frankly any American coming with cash to any poor country will not have a problem with having lovers. Some people would marry you for your citizenship. True of Americans of any race.

Let me elaborate for you, folks. I gotta say, I'm all about respect and not being disrespectful, believe me. Now, a whole bunch of Americans – good people, I tell ya – they head down to Mexico, and let me tell ya, it's for all sorts of reasons. But you know what? A lot of 'em ain't rollin' in the big bucks. And I gotta be honest, I don't think you're exactly swimmin' in cash either, and that's okay. Now, listen up, because this is interesting. What I've seen is that those American expats, they often find themselves mixin' and minglin' with middle-class folks and maybe even those who're dealin' with tighter budgets. 'Cause gettin' a hold of a rich Mexican señorita? Well, that's like tryin' to catch lightning in a bottle.
And let me tell ya, it's not just Mexico that's got this goin' on – it's a worldwide thing. Those high-flying ladies, they don't always look twice at the regular folks pinchin' their pennies. I've seen it, and it's not just here, folks. It's like a trend that's caught wind around the world. And guess what? What you're saying 'bout those Mexican ladies? Well, it rings a bell 'bout American gals too, you know what I mean? They've got their eyes on the green.
Now, this is where it gets interesting, folks. Over in the land of the free, let me tell ya, things are shakin' up. Those gals, they're lookin' for partners with some financial oomph, you know what I mean? It's like they've got this radar for the big numbers. And let's talk about trends – there's a buzz 'bout American guys headin' to "less fortunate" places to find a match, 'cause some of those American gals, they're not all that thrilled 'bout a middle-class Joe.
Now, this'll get ya, folks. Picture this: You're jetting off to Mexico, flaunting that greenback like it's going out of style. But back home, it's like the cash river's running a bit low, and that casts a bit of a shadow, doesn't it? It's like folks got their guard up, thinking everyone's out to play 'em. But let me tell ya, that kinda thinking? It's not doin' anyone any favors, especially when it comes to savoring all that Mexico's got to offer. And here's a thought – when you're shining over there, it might not all be 'bout the status. Some gals, they're just vibing with something deeper, something that goes beyond the bucks. And while you're on your journey, your gal back home might just be having a grand ol' time with a certain Juan, workin' the garden and all. It's a tale, folks, a tale that's been told time and again, with its own twists and turns. Believe me, it's a ride worth takin'.

Old 04-29-2024, 11:18 AM

3,485 posts, read 3,410,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Canada is now under 70% white and its far more tolerant of race and foreigners than US. Its not even close. Not saying the US is intolerant but things are going in the wrong direction.
Stereotyping much, eh? I don't think any country is totally free of racism, behind the scenes. Even Canada struggles with racism, plus underinvesting in its indigenous communities. How about Canada addresses that? Of course, the media loves to way too darned much stereotype the US in a negative way, when I doubt a lot of foreign countries would have cities as diverse as say like LA, Chicago, Houston, Miami, and NYC to name a few examples. Also in the end, what does it matter the percentage of white people? The percentage of whites is dipping in the US, as well. Where some who look at Census data closely, have projected that in several decades the US might fall below 50% white. This has already occurred at the state level a few states, like California. Also last I checked, a LOT of people dislike Trump even in the US. Plus even Canada has elected more conservative leaning elected officials, former Prime Minister Steven Harper anyone?

This all said(sorry I can't let a ridiculous comment stand, without responding to that), good to know a lot of Mexicans aren't racist towards black people. Per the black person who did respond earlier in this thread.

Old 05-04-2024, 03:07 PM

1,270 posts, read 531,257 times
A bit off topic but I recently saw a video about a mexican/soul food fusion restaurant in California. I have to admit the food looked really good. The place is owned by a Black gentlemen and his family and both the patrons were both Black and Mexican neighbors.

Old 05-07-2024, 12:23 AM

10,222 posts, read 15,097,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
According to this you're both wrong, which is not surprising when people start spouting views on racism.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...cist-countries
I wouldn’t put much trust into that outside of the USA. Certainly there are many countries where race has the same meaning as it does in the USA, but then there are other countries where it doesn’t. What most people think of race is akin to nationality. That is to say when they say race, they aren’t talking about race as you understand it.

When people think of race as a nationality and not necessarily on a definition based as in the USA, asking people if they are willing to live next to another race, they will respond no if they are weary of other nationalities.

Also, many times it isn’t discrimination per say, because some nationalities have certain cultural qualities that clashes with other. For example, if one nationality is known for practicing a religious belief where drums are used and many times they hold religious events in their home and it can be at midnight when the neighbors are sleeping for the next work day. They are not going to like the sounds of drums waking up everybody. If a nationality is known for being a little more rowdy, like noise a little too much; many people will have nothing against them but they don’t want to live near them because of that.

Whenever the definition of race is actually what Americans think of nationality, the same person that says they don’t want to live next to a person of another race would have no problem living next to blacks, whites, whatever as long they are of the same nationality. So really this isn’t racism per say, though it could be a type of discrimination.

Not always the case, but many Latinos prefer to date other Latinos, many times of the same nationality or from Latino nationalities from nearby countries to the origin of their nationality. I have heard on several occasions that some people have said the obly blacks they are willing to that are Latino blacks. It doesn’t mean they are racist towards blacks, just they don’t want to mix with non-Latino blacks. The culprit is culture. There is a level of understanding among all Latino blacks that isn’t always there when the case are African Americans, to give one example. African blacks are also shunned regarding this, though I can’t say if this applies to Equatorial Guineans since they do have the Spanish influence due to their colonial past and they speak Spanish too. Culture is the sole reason for this.

Others will only date people from the same nationality and the basis of that is that those from the same nationality already know the quirks that comes with that. No need to explain certain things or run into misunderstanding, creating an issue out of nothing.

This happened a long time ago, but this reminded me. One time a Puerto Rican that was dating a cousin asked me in front of everybody if I would date an African American. Notice he didn’t ask if I would date a black women, but specifically an African American. I basically said yes since there are all types of African Americans with all sorts of education levels and professions, etc. All I’m going to say the guy couldn’t believe it. The mother of the cousin who was also there asked what was the issue with that since there are all types of African American. His response? Silence…

Last edited by AntonioR; 05-07-2024 at 01:00 AM..

Old 05-13-2024, 06:11 PM

4,255 posts, read 4,773,727 times
It looks like I have some posts to catch up on as I forgot about this thread from what...10 years ago now? I can't believe this thread was posted that long ago

I have not been back to Mexico since whenever I posted last about going in here.

I would love to see Monterrey one day along with Guanajuato, Isla Holbox and possibly Ajijic/Lake Chapala.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico