Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 01:18 PM

23,532 posts, read 19,277,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeTami View Post
Just don't use any freebies which are included with your job. They are biased and will not tell you it's best to quit your job or move over to a different one, for example. That would be problematic if it's your job causing your mental health issues.
Not my experience. My public sector employers normally offered access to EAP counseling services (some number of free sessions in order to clarify and assess the problem, followed by a referral to a different counselor with specific expertise if the problem wasn't resolved) as a paid benefit. OK the sessions didn't take place over the web, but I don't see how much difference that would make. I've taken advantage of employer EAP services several times over my career. Can't recall any of the counselors ever suggesting I should or shouldn't stay in my job of the moment. The closest one might have gotten to advise quitting was to suggest that running away from troubles doesn't usually work out as well as building better skills to face them. IME the job on its own probably isn't the root cause of whatever mental issue I'm seeking counseling for. It just happens to exacerbate it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-26-2023 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 03:50 PM

239 posts, read 113,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Good advice. I wasn't aware that some jobs included "free" therapy sessions. I can totally see that backfiring somehow, one example being that unfortunately 'mental illness' is still stigmatized and if one were to use the therapy too often that might be a good enough reason to be let go.
They say they keep your privacy. but who knows. I am fairly confident they are discouraged from deterring peopel from quitting their jobs though. Even if they have a better offer near home.

I've been suspicious of this BETTER HELP which emerged as a huge conglomerate. Commercials, etc all kinds of advertising

Old 11-28-2023, 02:54 PM

8 posts, read 6,630 times
Headway and Alma are considered two of the premiere online therapy platforms. Some of the most experienced therapists are available through online therapy platforms now. Stats show people are more apt to stick with online therapy due to its ease for scheduling and accessibility. And you can read about and choose your therapist. Most offer a free brief first session as well. I highly recommend it!

Old 11-28-2023, 06:51 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,151,015 times
Quote:
I've been suspicious of this BETTER HELP which emerged as a huge conglomerate. Commercials, etc all kinds of advertising
Likewise. I see them sponsoring more and more Youtube channels, meaning they're paying cash money to ranking Youtubers to inject promo spots into their video content. I've quit watching some of these sell-outs just because of that.

It should be no surprise that Teladoc Health (owner of BetterHelp) has teamed up with Amazon Alexa to offer voice-activated mental health care from the privacy of your own home. I can't even begin to get into what a bad idea this is and it has dark dystopia written all over it. Between this and the recent launch of Amazon's new virtual $9/mo healthcare plan, I really feel like Amazon is now the most dangerously powerful force on the planet. They're getting their hands into everything.

https://business.teladochealth.com/n...adoc-on-Alexa/

Old 11-29-2023, 08:11 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,019,425 times
Aside from privacy concerns, I would prefer to do zoom-type sessions. That way you can be sure that you're getting their full attention. I was thinking that it would othewise be like customer service: having several customers up on screen and going from customer to customer until the situation is resolved or session is done.

I would only sign up for such sessions if there were an iron-clad contract agreement that adequately addresses privacy issues.

Old 01-09-2024, 08:26 AM

15,089 posts, read 10,172,821 times
Quote:
Just don't use any freebies which are included with your job. They are biased and will not tell you it's best to quit your job or move over to a different one, for example. That would be problematic if it's your job causing your mental health issues.
This is not true. No more than a medical doctor sharing private medical information with your employer. The sessions were covered under my employer's insurance plan and I got to choose from a list of providers. The insurance plan and provider were not tied to my employer. It was similar to a medical procedure except I had no co-pays. It was 100% covered under the employer's insurance plan.

With that said some employers do have in-house therapists that are usually employed directly under the company's HR organization. They are on-call to all employees who require immediate attention and they are not intended to provide long-term mental health sessions. They do a mental wellness check and proceed to help you find a therapist within the medical plan for extended sessions if necessary. I highly doubt the sessions will ever get to the point that you'll be discussing a big life decision like quitting or staying on the job. That isn't their role.. In my case, I reached out to them regarding a family/home situation that was brought to my attention by an employee. They were helpful and made it clear that I could not share specifics with them until I have the permission of my employee.

Have you experienced this personally?

Last edited by usayit; 01-09-2024 at 09:08 AM..

Old 01-09-2024, 08:49 AM

15,089 posts, read 10,172,821 times
I've been with BetterHelp for a few years up until I could not afford it anymore due to an unexpected financial hardship. I've been in therapy for a very long time until my therapist retired and I struggled to find another. My signup to betterhelp was in part curiosity and part stop gap until I find another therapist.

I was assigned an LCSW which at first made me very skeptical but I went along with it. I was told that I could request a new therapist to be assigned at any time. There is a long questionnaire you answer online when you sign up. That information is used to find the best fit for a therapist. Some of their staff have extensive academic backgrounds and others, like mine, are more like social workers.

You are assigned a single therapist and it is not some anonymous group of therapists. That therapist also has a backup therapist and other resources to consult. However, you always communicate with the assigned therapist. Most of my correspondence with her was done in a "forum" or "chat" like web-based session. Allows the therapist and I to correspond and share documents/material privately. During my time with the service, I was very busy and this passive way of therapy was helpful. I found myself periodically (almost daily) posting in the service and she would respond usually within 24 hours. I am very comfortable working online and work in the tech industry. So this felt fairly normal to me. Even in my current job, I have a dozen of employees whom I mainly communicate with passively via Slack. I certainly can understand that this type of communication may not work for everyone. So that should be considered. Their primary form of communication with the therapist is passively through a private chat.

Periodically, I also had direct one-on-one phone sessions with my therapist. These sessions were also helpful. Provided the human aspect and the immediate interaction with a person provided the immediate feedback on various things that I wanted. You do have to schedule these sessions on their website. They are not just available on call at any time. If you have an emergency, they also provide a number but I never used it.

The LCSW and I built up a very good routine and connection. I think it helped that I had already been in in-person therapy for many years. My experience was good and I found her very helpful. She also made herself available for a direct phone session which my wife could also attend.

My real experience with in-person therapy is that it is very very difficult to find a therapist that you click with. Better help isn't going to solve that problem. You may need to keep requesting another therapist until you find one you are comfortable with. I guess I was just lucky that I got along with the first therapist assigned when I joined.

During my time with betterhelp, I also noticed they were expanding their service offerings very quickly. They introduced schedule group sessions which are conducted via phone conference and moderated by a therapist who runs the sessions. They are focused sessions on a specific topic.

Just as I ended my subscription, they also extended their services to include children. I would surmise there are special considerations in these for the parent's involvement. Maybe also a group specialized therapists with education in child development.

That was my experience with them... probably ended a year or so ago. I am considering signing up again. Part of the reason is that I think my new medical insurance plan covers online therapy sessions now. Unfortunately, I discovered that there is no way to reconnect with a previously assigned therapist and my account was purged from their system; meaning all our correspondence is probably in the trash bin. So signing up again would mean starting over. I was mindful to cut and paste much of it for my own personal reference.

A thread i started when I was considering the service has some good advice:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/ment...therapist.html

Also back when I initially signed up, BetterHelp was pretty much the only service in this space. There are several now and I may look into their offerings as well.

My elder son is currently seeing a in-person therapist. Granted he is an actual psychiatrist but it costs about $200 a visit. That is out of reach of a lot of people... so I see these online services as a viable alternative.

Last edited by usayit; 01-09-2024 at 09:00 AM..

Old 01-09-2024, 09:27 AM

5,741 posts, read 3,250,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Good advice. I wasn't aware that some jobs included "free" therapy sessions. I can totally see that backfiring somehow, one example being that unfortunately 'mental illness' is still stigmatized and if one were to use the therapy too often that might be a good enough reason to be let go.
I used a therapist provided through my work benefits. I think it was 2021. I was a sad puppy. Covid had done a real number on me, and some stuff was getting out of hand for me. So I got a therapist. Our sessions were over the phone. I found her to be very very insightful and helpful.

And I think, due to HIPPA laws, your medical and mental health records are protected.

Old 01-11-2024, 11:21 AM

11,141 posts, read 6,733,187 times
My online church offered free counseling sessions (you could donate $10 per session which I did for a year) on zoom and I thought it helped a great deal. In-person counselors are so expensive.

I heard Better Help sold off personal info and got in trouble for that, but not sure if that's true. I'd be leery of privacy issues, as Heavymind points out, helpfully! Glad you did point that out, since I was considering them for a case of ennui.

Old 01-29-2024, 09:40 PM

1,105 posts, read 626,676 times
It's probably no more difficult to find a good one than it is to find one that you see in person. That's hard enough though. I've seen a variety of them in person and it's a crap shot how it will work out, we really don't know until we go and talk to them. I couldn't see an online therapist as being any different than one in person, but you and they do lose out on all the visual cues that are easier to read when you're in someone's office vs on an online video thing.

A counseling session doesn't necessarily have the connotations of a mental illness. It could just be an opportunity to get some stress relieved if we're in a difficult situation w/ our life, spouse, job etc. I went to one today for the first time in maybe 30 years. This was about a decision I was having trouble making that was going to affect where I would live and what I would be doing if I did move. Or, in clinical terms, "staying with the devil I know vs the one I don't know". My insurance covered 90% of the cost, so it was easy enough to set it up.

It turned out to be a total waste of time and money, the guy was clueless and a bit of a fraud, but you never know what or who you'll encounter w/ a stranger. Often they're nuttier than the people going to them, that's how they got interested in it in the first place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health