Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 12:42 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times

Advertisements

Hi, does anyone know if doing hobbies that take concentration to do (like stitching, embroidery, puzzles, etc). does it help ward off Alzhaimers and dementia? When we do those things, it sort of exercises the brain.

Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2023, 01:13 PM

3,104 posts, read 1,000,279 times
You have to learn something new, a new language, a new instrument, to do math, always something new. Stitching, embroidery etc. are repetitive actions, one doesn't need intense thinking to perform these. Low carbs diet also helps a lot, like Keto Diet for instance.

Another thing, do not move the person that has Alzheimer's Disease, the illness will accelerate. They have to stay in a familiar environment, the same house, the same habits.

I'm not an expert but that is what I read about it. I am interested in this subject because I had relatives that had this illness and it was very hard to witness their decline. I didn't know all these, the things that I wrote above. I found out about these tips after my relatives passed away.

Take care.

Old 05-14-2023, 01:19 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
You have to learn something new, a new language, a new instrument, to do math, always something new. Stitching, embroidery etc. are repetitive actions, one doesn't need intense thinking to perform these. Low carbs diet also helps a lot, like Keto Diet for instance.

Another thing, do not move the person that has Alzheimer's Disease, the illness will accelerate. They have to stay in a familiar environment, the same house, the same habits.

I'm not an expert but that is what I read about it. I am interested in this subject because I had relatives that had this illness and it was very hard to witness their decline. I didn't know all these, the things that I wrote above. I found out about these tips after my relatives passed away.

Take care.
Hi, thanks! Its for me and my mental health, that I'm concerned about. I'm a senior citizen and thats one thing that I am a bit concerned about, so sometimes when im doing my hobby, i think to myself this is going to ward off dementia, but maybe thats a wives tale.

But im hoping!

Old 05-14-2023, 01:37 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
There's a lot of information about activities that can help stave off dementia. If you do the research for yourself you'll learn something new...instead of asking other people to do the research for you! So, with your cognitive health in mind, I'll leave you to do that for yourself .

I'd agree that repetitive motion activities like needlework or working some types of puzzles (jigsaw puzzles) wouldn't help all that much because the brain isn't actually learning or being all that challenged in the process.

Old 05-14-2023, 04:38 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
My mom was concerned about it and would play computer games a lot. It seems like that would help, but I don't know. I see the other comments about needing to learn something new. She made it to her mid-80s before it overcame her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post

Take care.
Yes, that definitely seems to be true. My mom was "holding on" at home until her home suffered some damage and we had to temporarily (we thought) move her out. Within the week that followed, she began deteriorating drastically and continually and was never the same again. It happens very quickly.

I feel the same way you do, OP; I'm kind of concerned about it myself.

Old 05-19-2023, 05:14 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hi, thanks! Its for me and my mental health, that I'm concerned about. I'm a senior citizen and thats one thing that I am a bit concerned about, so sometimes when im doing my hobby, i think to myself this is going to ward off dementia, but maybe thats a wives tale.

But im hoping!
Any kind of creative activity is good for your mind. Switch it up occasionally and learn a new craft to keep it fresh.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:17 PM

10,291 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hi, does anyone know if doing hobbies that take concentration to do (like stitching, embroidery, puzzles, etc). does it help ward off Alzhaimers and dementia? When we do those things, it sort of exercises the brain.

Is this true?
Well, it may slow the degradation process. Or, it may just make the degradation much more easy to recognize.

Some say, that crossword puzzles help reduce the rate of degradation, but I've seen zero studies claiming such.

Old 07-20-2023, 08:00 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
do what you like to do is good enough.
your fingers are active,which means blood flow goes to the tip of your body,your eyesight is good and you are nimble ,keep it up.
and choosing different colors.you have good taste

Old 07-25-2023, 10:13 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Yes, creativity is good for everyone. Self-expression of any kind.

When I had a thyroid condition I had a period of clinical depression, picked up a simple cross-stitch kit in the hobby room and discovered that it was simple enough that I could concentrate on it yet involved enough that my brain wasn't wandering to negative thoughts and when I was done I had a little something to show for the time.

This led to about ten years of cross-stitching and a closet full of them! I thought of them as my sort of mindless adjunct to healing. They also worked great for any kind of frustrating feelings. At that time in my life it was very calming repeating the same motions over and over.

Old 01-27-2024, 10:10 AM

10 posts, read 3,720 times
While embroidery is a fun and creative activity, there's no solid proof it prevents dementia. However, staying engaged in hobbies like embroidery can improve mood and concentration. For overall brain health, a balanced diet, regular exercise, and managing factors like depression and thyroid health are crucial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health